OT:Attention 'ALL' Vocalists

proulxski

Welcome To Kanata Eh!
ATTENTION VOCALISTS
Hello there! The hassle with the media seems to have died. We´ve been off tour for some months and we´ve had a nice and long vacation. It´s time to get back in business:
Nightwish is currently and actively looking for a new singer/front woman for the band. We need the obvious things: Looks , charisma, courage and, of course, a big voice. Good grasp of the English language is also very helpful. We don´t necessarily need a classically trained vocalist like Tarja Turunen (the former vocalist). We welcome all kinds of styles and voices, natural and trained, from rock and pop to classical, and all that you can find in between. You should however be prepared to sing with a lot of dynamics and versatility. From loud and high to very sensitive stuff. You should preferably send us a cd containing 2-3 songs, that you consider to be your best work. If you send an album, would you mark out 2-3 most important songs, please? If you record and send Nightwish songs, then the most important thing is your PERSONAL TOUCH. Photographs are needed as well.

We will look into different applications and all candidates, but doing it this way would save us some time and energy. If you think you have it, just send your stuff to our management, and we´ll be happy to take you onboard.

Here´s the address. Good luck!

KING FOO ENTERTAINMENT LTD OY / EWO
Fredrikinkatu 61 A 7.krs/floor
FIN-00100 Helsinki
Finland

----

Man o Man big stuff going on! About time the officially announce the searching for a new singer... Something bothers me very much so, I noticed on the Nightwish forums people always speak of needing to find a female singer with the looks and talent/voice to be able to 'replace' Tarja! No matter what anyone says, Tarja cannot be replaced! Nightwish can create a new chapter in their book but Tarja is still part of it. At least IMO. I personally find it direspectful for Tarja when people speak of it that way, despite recent miss-haps an the new knowledge brought to us by Thuomas, she was still the front man (or woman) and did a spectaular job!

tarja is replacable, she had/s a beautiful voice dont get me wrong, but she never contributed to any of the bands songwriting in any form, hopefully they find somebody as good if not better then tarja (dont get me wrong I love her but she got the boot for a reason)

I'm just not really into nightwish...I dont think its the chick vocals which most people acuse me of...I just dont really like em

Kenneth R. said:

Why? You'd have to be pretty naive to think that looks are not important, especially when you're the frontman (or woman) for a band. And truth is, for women, its even more of an issue. No one's gonna want to see Nightwish fronted by a fat ugly cow, no matter how good her voice is. Sad but true. Thats the way the business works.

Although for metal at least, "looks" don't necessarily = good looking, but the band has to look right. Long hair (or shaved head is pretty metal nowadays too), the right clothes for the style (example: black metal dudes better be in corpsepaint with 9 inch spikes :lol: ), etc. Hell, the guitarists should even be playing apropriate guitars (no jazzboxes in a powermetal band, etc).

Man, i totally disagree with you on this one. Bands should about music, not image. I don't give a flying duck what the label, the press, or the public thinks. Do I think I will be famous? Wicked unlikely. Do I care? Not at all.

My point is, compare the blurb by Nightwish (zomg we want a hot girl to get us fans, its a plus if you can sing) to the one by Pain of Salvation & their requirements based on music, philosophy, and common sense (ie no drug addicts etc.)

don't mind me, i'm just the resident idealist. :loco:

the world will never be perfect no, but if we don't take steps to improve it we've deserved everything we bitch about :)

besides, it's probably just me, but when i get comments about my music, it's nice to know they're about my music and not because i look like johnny depp... i'd rather have people tell me "wow, your songs suck" than "you're so great & hotz"

Kenneth R. said:
don't mind me, i'm just the resident idealist. :loco:

the world will never be perfect no, but if we don't take steps to improve it we've deserved everything we bitch about :)

besides, it's probably just me, but when i get comments about my music, it's nice to know they're about my music and not because i look like johnny depp... i'd rather have people tell me "wow, your songs suck" than "you're so great & hotz"

Well, since you're a guy, I doubt you're gonna get a lot of metal fans coming up to you telling you you're hot (unless they're chicks, and if thats the case I would certainly take that compliment).

Again, Tali and Beelzebub pretty much summed up what I was saying. I know it sucks that looks matter in this world, but we're really not going to change it. And like I said, its not even necessarily about being hot. What looks more right to you, this:

FINNTROLL!!!:
finntroll.jpg

or this?

FINNTROLL!!!:
backstreet_boys.jpg

I rest my case :)

does it matter as long as they sound good? I rest my case :loco: I know what you're saying, and it makes sense, but you know what, I refuse to follow along just because "its the way things are". If I think "the way things are" isn't right, I'm gonna be the rebellious punk I seem to be so often in topics here and in real life. I'm not really a jerk I swear :D

Kenneth R. said:
My point is, compare the blurb by Nightwish (zomg we want a hot girl to get us fans, its a plus if you can sing) to the one by Pain of Salvation & their requirements based on music, philosophy, and common sense (ie no drug addicts etc.)

I understood your point, but still, it's not your band. You can be rebellious all you want and sit at your computer and protest their decisions for their band till the cows come home but that's not doing too good of a job at improving anything now is it.

Beelzebub said:
I understood your point, but still, it's not your band. You can be rebellious all you want and sit at your computer and protest their decisions for their band till the cows come home but that's not doing too good of a job at improving anything now is it.
:lol: No, its not my band, but it is my opinion to call their BS. Perhaps if people realized what was going on this kind of thing would happen less often.

meh, I don't care enough to stay awake to debate this. I just find a band posting an auditions message with image as a primary concern conceited and shallow. but that's just me. :rolleyes:

Looks are important at least for Nightwish. I know the Nightwish/Tarja haters are going to disagree, but the presence/looks/charisma of Tarja is fundamental to the band's show. I remember the first time I saw one of their concerts, she just blew mi mind: her dress, along with her face, her way of singing, her gestures and expressions.... everything. She was a queen and the fans were their servants.
The same goes for every other band. Halford MUST ride a motorcycle on stage, Kiss MUST wear make-up, Slipknot their masks, etc etc... Nightwish already developed their own image and cannot contradict themselves at this point. It doesn't mean the next vocalist must definitely be a hot chick or a Tarja-imitator, it means she must have what it takes to connect the audience with their stage presence.

Then i guess this may be of interest... THROW AWAY ALL YOUR MERCENARY CDS!!!
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=49894

""The person we are looking for must fulfill these demands:

* Must have a deeply dedicated and serious mind.
* Must have 100 % devotion to the band
* Must be able to rehearse intensively in certain periods in MERCENARY's rehearsals near Aalborg, Denmark.
* Be a male between 20 - 35 years.
* Be able to growl, scream, do ‘melodic shouting’ and play the bass
* Be able to learn the old songs quickly
* Be able to restrict his drinking on tour/shows (No drinking before shows)
* Must have a personal image fitting a serious metal band
* be able and willing to tour extensively in periods

"Live and studio experience is an advantage but not a necessity. "

On something that may hit closer to home, notice that one of the things Pain of Salvation says is a bonus is if the bassist "Looks Cool"