OT:Attention 'ALL' Vocalists

My point is, compare the blurb by Nightwish (zomg we want a hot girl to get us fans, its a plus if you can sing)

I do not believe that is how they advertised it! And whether or not you want to believe it, or except it a singer who has all that they ask for is important!
being able to sing comes first obviously... But having someone who is a good looker, active, not shy is a VERY important attribute!

Just Compare Rod Tyler to Russell Allen! Rod Tyler was a shy guy who didn't like what he was doing and had some talent. but would never be able tog et Symphony X on stage! Not far anyway! Than we have the rather good looking Russell Allen with his jizmtastic vocals and very karizmatic style! He is the front man, he is active, not shy, jokes around...and all around loves his job. Nightwish could get any girl under the sun if they wanted to- but only certain girls will fit the Nightwish look! They arenot just looking for looks! They want somone who can sing like a beast, fits the Nightwish universe and will...I repeat will Like the music and benefit the band! Unlike Tarja.

Kenneth R. said:
Man, i totally disagree with you on this one. Bands should about music, not image. I don't give a flying duck what the label, the press, or the public thinks. Do I think I will be famous? Wicked unlikely. Do I care? Not at all.

My point is, compare the blurb by Nightwish (zomg we want a hot girl to get us fans, its a plus if you can sing) to the one by Pain of Salvation & their requirements based on music, philosophy, and common sense (ie no drug addicts etc.)

You left how how PoS also put *added bonus: You look cool* in that ad for a new bassist.

They aren't idiots either, man. They know that while image isn't EVERYTHING, it is something. Achieving a balance isn't conceited or wrong...it's smart. If you look wrong, it'll turn people off. It's a fact of life, and to ignore it makes one a fool...no matter how idealistic. Hell, there's a reason this is called "show business" :Smug:

Good morning :)

Kenneth R. said:
:lol: I should have known better starting this on this board
I understood what you were getting at in your initial "failure" post. I agree with you that to ask for headshots and list physical appearances as a top priority is shallow but L.Knight made a really good point in saying why they needed to.

Of course. But I don't think they should need to, and it's well-known that female & female-fronted bands in metal appeal to men because they think "wow she's hot" 100 times for every 1 who thinks "great music" (let's be honest). They might like the music after a while, but for initial impressions...

And the band is exploiting this, and therefore perpetuating it. Not very cool.

from my experiences females prefer female vocals more than males do though. and who cares, by 'looks' they could have meant presentation and such as well. if some guys are stupid enough to be interested in a band because the singers is hot, they deserve to be exploited.

I'm a music reviewer as many know, and there is nothing that drives me more nuts than reading a review of a CD that talks about how hot the frontwoman is. IT IS A CD!!! It's there for listening.

Kenneth, i hate to say but you are mostly wrong. I understand the point, but i still disagree. now for a live show or dvd, yes, it's nice to have some eye candy. Unfortunately, when i'm driving down the road, i am looking for something that i can listen to, not a group with a hot singer (it's dangerous to drive while flipping through a booklet apparently). That doesn't mean the image isn't an important marketing tool. You are right that most people will be attracted to a band based on the looks of whoever is in the band. If you are flipping through a mag and see an ad for Leave's Eyes, i'm checking the band out. If i'm perusing mp3s of a band and hear a chick vocalist, pretty much the last thought in my mind is "hmm... what does she look like?"

Point is that looks are very important to a bands image, marketing, and so forth. For the music (and just from the standpoint of putting a cd in the cd player) it doesnt. Look at Sinergy... Kimberly isn't what i'd call a supermodel, but i like them better than most female fronted bands... and somehow it does fit the straight up "fuck you" metal vibe they've got going on.

Remember, a band is also a brand. Nightwish has to sell their brand. Tits and ass work for every guy in the world other than you, so it's a damn smart move, however morally reprehensable you find it.

you know, i just have to throw this up to remind everyone (including myself... i take responsibility for my actions haha) that:
f_arguing.jpg

I argue in person too. :lol:

I know I can't win this argument, but that's not going to stop me from saying I think the whole thing is bunk and about as musical as MTV is these days.

I am confused:
Dressing emo is bad, but dressing metal is ok.
"<random metal band>'s new album is so mainstream! They sold out!", "Of course Nightwish should care about looks. After all, it is a business, and it is smart."

I think they shouldn't worry about the image so much. If you have seen those pics of celebrities without make up then it would be FULLY clear that ANYONE can be made out to look good, lol. So I think that solves both problems..... 1) Get the best singer possible, then 2) If she's fugly then pile on the makeup. Solved ;).

proulxski - Nice icon. Heh.

HAHA thanx a bunch...was a good time!

The music industry is a huge one and looks are important! But not being pretty, but fitting in with the music you play! having the proper charateristics, proper look upon your style is what makes you that much more pretty! As I beliebe Doomsdayzach stated...when listening to music with a female singer the last thing that comes to mind is "hey I wonder if this chick is like hot or not!" Come on, I listened to Arch Enemy and liked it so i visited their site where I was suprised to find they have a female singer! Looks act, everything can be decieving! But what Nightwish needs right now is ab UBBER talented front-woman with the perfect level of karizma and beautifullness! When you say its shallow that they chose beauty over talent any day aint true...Come on you think they're going to hire some really gorgeous chick who cannot sing worth crud? NO I have complete faith in Nightwish and they will find a very talented female is also a good looking female! And what is good looking and what is not depends on your opinion/out look on life! IN my opinion just the female body no matter whos is a beautiful thing...

(Yes ladies I am sucking up...I gotta gain brownie points somwhere right?)

In the end we should trust the band and put our faith in them! They will not be hiring a britney spears so don't worry! Simmone Simmons is a good looking gal with loads of talent! So is Arch Enemies singer... So is Sonia Pineault of Forgotten Tales, when I say good lookin i say they are alright! But its the last thing I think about when talking about/listening to the band.

I dont know if this thread applies to me or not, because I've been meaning to ask my bandmates to let me be a 5th part in vocal harmonies, but I dont yet, so I guess until then, this doesnt apply to me..... Spam?