Pain of Salvation - Scarsick

okay, a very good and talanted cock rock band then. It´s bad because it sounds....happy? i think it sounds spontanious and uplifting... the songmelodies fit the music nicely, that is perfectly put together with odd melody changes... great harmony vocals also, and the vocals are great as usual. I have not really fit into the mood of this new material so i don´t have very much to defend it with, but i can allready tell that i´m going to like it. Very minimalistic for a PoS song, that is also something i need to get used to when it comes to PoS.

Who am I to say it's not? Someone that has listened to it >10 times, sometimes while following along with the lyrics in the booklet, watched the dvd and has loved everything else they've done. It sucks. That song that sounds like a broadway musical is by far the worst, it's like something spock's fucking beard would do. That horrible attempt at a spiritual makes me want to laugh/throw up too. And the song with phone messages from god? What the hell is that! And then the few songs (like deus nova) with that main uber-lame powerchord riff (though, after hearing scarsick's first three songs, I can't really complain about the riff being lame). And that awful skit with daniel saying "how about i drive while you give me some niiiiiiiiiiiiiice headddddddddd" or whatever god I hate most of that album! "Lilium Cruentus" and whatever the second to last song is called are both great, a few of the short interludes are good, otherwise it ranges from meh to blech. That review highlights many of its worst aspects - the extremely tedious, overblown prog-lameness in lyrics and genre-hopping that is exactly what makes so many prog bands so fucking bad and was what pain of salvation avoided on TPE and RL by actually having really powerful lyrics that people could actually identify with for a change.

disco queen.

i'm actually starting to really like this album

I can't imagine EVER liking the first three or last song. They are seriously just unbelievably repetitive and boring compared to ANY prog band, much less a good one. THe riffing is absolutely horrid. I could see maybe liking tracks 4-9 some day but never the first 3. And there's no way I'll ever think any of it is as good as even the worst material on tpe and rl, the production is so incredibly terrible it actually detracts from the music and the retro-prog lameness is in full effect and there is no real drama to any of the music, just standard emo buildups and profanity explosions. Lame, lame lame. Their least mature album by far.

okay, cool... funny how you always need to ask for people to ground something here... so, i respect your thoughts. I have seen reviewers and others flaming the dialogues before, and infact that nearly same speech in a review too :) music needs to be very limited for you to like it, what in the consept dont you like? the idea it self or because you think the dialogues are lamely performed? i see no problem with any of it, and the god´s answering machine stuff? I actually found it pretty touching...i am familiar with religion and it´s hopes and promises, and if you look beyond the dialogue in it, it´s a very good instrumental track too. It seems like the album can in many ways be disliked, and therefore people get blinded by it...maybe not in your case, but generally. I think gildenlöv was aware of this, but he did it his way. And by the way, the "broadway musical is my favourite track :)

I can't imagine EVER liking the first three or last song. They are seriously just unbelievably repetitive and boring compared to ANY prog band, much less a good one. THe riffing is absolutely horrid. I could see maybe liking tracks 4-9 some day but never the first 3. And there's no way I'll ever think any of it is as good as even the worst material on tpe and rl, the production is so incredibly terrible it actually detracts from the music and the retro-prog lameness is in full effect and there is no real drama to any of the music, just standard emo buildups and profanity explosions. Lame, lame lame. Their least mature album by far.

you should stop comaring them with other progbands, sure that is what people call them... but after all it´s just a small element in their music... they look beyond the stereotypical paths in music

you should stop comaring them with other progbands, sure that is what people call them... but after all it´s just a small element in their music... they look beyond the stereotypical paths in music

I didn't compare them with other prog bands until they started sounding like other prog bands, and sucking. Your theory that I don't like them cause they got original is exactly backwards. BE sucks partly because it DOES sound like other stuff, while the previous albums were completely original.

music needs to be very limited for you to like it, what in the consept dont you like? the idea it self or because you think the dialogues are lamely performed? i see no problem with any of it, and the god´s answering machine stuff? I actually found it pretty touching...i am familiar with religion and it´s hopes and promises, and if you look beyond the dialogue in it, it´s a very good instrumental track too. And by the way, the "broadway musical is my favourite track :)

Music needs to be limited for me to like it? I just explained that the reason I don't like it is because it ISN'T original. It rips off the styles of all kinds of shitty retro-prog bands like spock's beard or poorly emulates other styles like Broadway musicals and spirituals. The concept itself tries way too hard, and falls flat on its face. If they'd just stuck to the "Mr. Money" character's path through life and waking up in the destroyed future, maybe with a couple other songs about overpopulation and whatever was going to cause the world to get like that, it might be ok, but instead they stick in tons of other songs about other topics that were on his mind and attempt to tie it together by giving a huge fucking reading list in the liner notes. If that's not cripplingly overblown prog lameness I don't know what is.

The instrumental track with the phone messages is pretty good. The phone messages themselves are pretty stupid and just about any song with phone messages in it is terrible cheese by default (see: megadeth - 1000 times goodbye).

Finally, that doesn't surprise me. Do you also like Glasshammer? :erk:

god, calm down... i feel like a teacher trying to find ways to communicate with an agressive student. why can there not be discussions maturely?

as said there are some intentionally cheesy (in a good way) parts... but even though most of it is influenced by other music, it sound pretty original to me... music has been recycled for a very long time, it´s just stupid to try make "original" music for the sake of it. You can tell when music comes from heart and soul. Besides their first albums are in my ears so much more unoriginal, but great none the less. I have not studied the "Be" concept tbh, but it sounds good with the music, and that´s what matters. Funny how you seem to accept the unoriginallity of opeth, is it a nostalgy thing in that case? because if your'e so obsessed with lyrics and think that is what makes a good album i'm surprised how opeth lyrics pass your filther.

I didn't compare them with other prog bands until they started sounding like other prog bands, and sucking. Your theory that I don't like them cause they got original is exactly backwards. BE sucks partly because it DOES sound like other stuff, while the previous albums were completely original.

they sound like other bands? name one.