People selling cracked plugins (WOW)

How stupid and insolent : "If you can't afford something, then you don't deserve to have it. It's pretty basic really."

YOU will never understand what is to live in poor country... Better stay in your imaginary place. :(

The main reasons the economy of most countries is doing poorly now is because of piracy and Chinese outsourcing. Keep the jobs in your home country, pay for music, movies, and software, and everyone will be better off.

Funniest shizzle I've ever heard! It wasn't sub-prime loans, excessive borrowing and inter-bank lending that caused the global recession - it was p1rate bay! :lol::lol::lol:

Funniest shizzle I've ever heard! It wasn't sub-prime loans, excessive borrowing and inter-bank lending that caused the global recession - it was p1rate bay! :lol::lol::lol:

There's lots of factors, really, and the unfortunate part is that they all happened at once.

If you don't think that ThePirateBay and other torrent trackers (and of course millions of seeders/leechers) are a part of the problem, though, then you are kidding yourself.

One of millions of examples of the effect of piracy: there are no more CD or DVD stores anymore. All of them have disappeared, one by one, in 5 years. Massive corporate stores and indie stores alike.

Why not give up smoking, and spend that money on gear?

I live on £20 a week, so even if I give up smoking, it won't amount to any more money to spend on gear.

And hey, like I said, I'm steadily chiselling away at going fully legit.
I'm using ONE cracked plugin at the moment, and I'm about to buy it since I have birthday money, and then I'm going to learn reaper as soon as my 7 string's fixed and I start recording again, which will be at some point this week.

I completely understand the sentiments of those that disagree with the use of cracked pluginsm, though, and I agree to a huge extent, but I don't feel it's a totally black or white issue.

Also, could anyone suggest a free or cheap parametric eq now that I'm no longer using WaveArts? :D

If you don't think that ThePirateBay and other torrent trackers (and of course millions of seeders/leechers) are a part of the problem, though, then you are kidding yourself.

One of millions of examples of the effect of piracy: there are no more CD or DVD stores anymore. All of them have disappeared, one by one, in 5 years. Massive corporate stores and indie stores alike.

Sorry Shane, but it's foolish to think that piracy played more than a tiny part in the current economic problems we're facing.

As for CD and DVD stores... still around, especially the ones that never had ridiculous prices to begin with. Massive corporate and indie... FYE, Suncoast, Rasputin, Amoeba... there's a reason the Sam Goody's of the world are out of business - they charged $18 bucks for a CD, even with record sales began to decline.

That's not even considering the fact that iTunes and Netflix have changed the CD/DVD sale market.

Sorry Shane, but it's foolish to think that piracy played more than a tiny part in the current economic problems we're facing.

As for CD and DVD stores... still around, especially the ones that never had ridiculous prices to begin with. Massive corporate and indie... FYE, Suncoast, Rasputin, Amoeba... there's a reason the Sam Goody's of the world are out of business - they charged $18 bucks for a CD, even with record sales began to decline.

That's not even considering the fact that iTunes and Netflix have changed the CD/DVD sale market.

I did have to have a little bit of a laugh when i saw that too hehe, but obviously I see where he's coming from.

So all the people in the world who cant afford/ dont have access to food don't deserve food?

the people who cant afford clothes dont deserve to be clothed?

people who cant afford medical care deserve to die?

kindly remove your head from your arse please

ALSO... WOAH. I dont think he quite ment it like that... I think he was just trying to point out the culture in the Western world at the moment (spend what you dont have on LUXURIES)

because it's the same thing i hope all these people who use poverty as an excuse for using cracked plugins (especially in a professional environment) are at lease exercising their values and rocking stolen ipods, tvs, electronics, movies, clothes etc.

at least if you are full time scumbags it's more understandable

there really is no justification for using pirated software in an environment when you charge people for your services and use cracked plugins. pirated software also jacks up prices for people like us who pay to use the software. you would be surprised at how many people who could afford stuff like waves etc. don't actually buy it. i've seen several studios with cracked plugs and it disgusts me and i hope their studios catch fire because these people are scum, and i'm sorry if it includes people here but when you work hard to spend 1,2,3,4,10,20k on plug ins and do the right it's an insult to the rest of the professional community you think you're involved in.

same thing applies for music if you ask me. until you get into a situation where you make a profession of music you don't understand how crucial the element of paying for your music is. i have many friends that are in bands that are signed and tour and release cds all the time and they complain to me about why their songs get 3million plays on myspace music but their cds only sell 50,000 units and they have a huge fan base. or whether you are a producer or an engineer who wonders why there isn't as much work as there used to be - aside form shitty music you can thank pirated music as well.

Another point worth mentioning is that software companies often become the industry standard through pirating, just look at Microsoft. Many of these companies are certainly not whiter than white, Microsoft packages its software in prisons.

This is a very philosophical argument, when you eat a hamburger do you think you have stolen from another form of life, as that animal was murdered to give you food. I am just trying to point out the hypocrisy of human beliefs, it is wrong to used cracked software apparently, yet it is okay to 'steal' in many other ways that are considered taboo. Everyone has 'stolen' something in their life, even if they know it or not. As someone else said ‘that’s life’, get over it!
o_O

Another point worth mentioning is that software companies often become the industry standard through pirating, just look at Microsoft. Many of these companies are certainly not whiter than white, Microsoft packages its software in prisons.

This is a very philosophical argument, when you eat a hamburger do you think you have stolen from another form of life, as that animal was murdered to give you food. I am just trying to point out the hypocrisy of human beliefs, it is wrong to used cracked software apparently, yet it is okay to 'steal' in many other ways that are considered taboo. Everyone has 'stolen' something in their life, even if they know it or not. As someone else said ‘that’s life’, get over it!
o_O

yeah but rather than getting all psuedo-intellectual and throw moral high grounds and low grounds into the mix realize that this has nothing to do with the specific discussion of software here. what do cows? prisons? have anything to do with it. you can turn any simple argument or issue into a universal philosophy wankfest but it's just taking a simple issue and going off the wagon into something unrelated. digging into issues of morality and "how do you really know what's right and wrong?" is just plain stupid sorry. we are not here to discuss mankinds set of values and rules or religion or politics. the issue boils down to the simple point of a plugin or a software was made by someone who took the time out to make it and it costs money. not paying for it is stealing. moreover, i'm not larry the law enforcer so i think it's pointless to bust out some 15 year old kid with a toneport and a guitar recording his own stuff over the weekend who has a cracked copy of waves ssl but it's the people that call themselves studio that used all cracked software and charge for their services and are essentially hacks that bother me as well as the true professional engineers here and everywhere like andy, james, and mark from audiohammer. not to mention all the other guys here like oz etc. that make a career out of this and have to pay higher prices for the plug ins due to piracy and know what's it like to run a business. sorry but there is no sensible argument here at all.

ps - for the record i'm a vegetarian and i still don't see this correlation between stealing meat from an animal and using a cracked plug in.

Also, could anyone suggest a free or cheap parametric eq now that I'm no longer using WaveArts? :D

Stock Reaper EQ, believe it or not, is really transparent and kicks ass! (I found it much more transparent and less phasey than the oft-praised free version of Electri-Q, which I tried for awhile but have since bailed on)

yeah but rather than getting all psuedo-intellectual and throw moral high grounds and low grounds into the mix realize that this has nothing to do with the specific discussion of software here. what do cows? prisons? have anything to do with it. you can turn any simple argument or issue into a universal philosophy wankfest but it's just taking a simple issue and going off the wagon into something unrelated. digging into issues of morality and "how do you really know what's right and wrong?" is just plain stupid sorry. we are not here to discuss mankinds set of values and rules or religion or politics. the issue boils down to the simple point of a plugin or a software was made by someone who took the time out to make it and it costs money. not paying for it is stealing. moreover, i'm not larry the law enforcer so i think it's pointless to bust out some 15 year old kid with a toneport and a guitar recording his own stuff over the weekend who has a cracked copy of waves ssl but it's the people that call themselves studio that used all cracked software and charge for their services and are essentially hacks that bother me as well as the true professional engineers here and everywhere like andy, james, and mark from audiohammer. not to mention all the other guys here like oz etc. that make a career out of this and have to pay higher prices for the plug ins due to piracy and know what's it like to run a business. sorry but there is no sensible argument here at all.

ps - for the record i'm a vegetarian and i still don't see this correlation between stealing meat from an animal and using a cracked plug in.

+ 1111111111111

Seriously, FYE's are fucking everywhere around me (though I've never heard of the others you mentioned, must be a west-coast thing - weirdos :D)

Aramism, i understand your point of view, and I don't personally agree with studios using warez, but I find you attempt to get me to conform to your I idea of where I should stand morally on the issue a bit lame. Its okay saying this is a simple issue (if you look at it from a 'simple' point of view it is), but do the larger facts matter here or don't they? Clearly you think they don't so I won't waste time trying to convince you, but to me its a bit too close to the cuff in terms of human hypocrisy when there’s people saying things like 'anyone who has ever used a cracked software program should be in jail' etc... These are the kind of people who probably think fox-news is actually a REAL show lol. But PEACE, I respect your opinion, but that's all it is.

Aramism, i understand your point of view, and I don't personally agree with studios using warez, but I find you attempt to get me to conform to your I idea of where I should stand morally on the issue a bit lame. Its okay saying this is a simple issue (if you look at it from a 'simple' point of view it is), but do the larger facts matter here or don't they? Clearly you think they don't so I won't waste time trying to convince you, but to me its a bit too close to the cuff in terms of human hypocrisy when there’s people saying things like 'anyone who has ever used a cracked software program should be in jail' etc... These are the kind of people who probably think fox-news is actually a REAL show lol. But PEACE, I respect your opinion, but that's all it is.

i don't think people who use pirated software should be in jail but i don't think using pirated software professionally and selling pirated software is the same thing as jaywalking. there are plenty of laws that don't make sense and i am not a person who probably would ever report anyone of pirating i mind my own business, but when asked about my opinion i'm not holding back. perhaps the people don't know any better but to me being involved in stuff like this is very petty.

i don't think my post was directed at you per se. to be quite honest i'm not sure what your point is with the humanity issue. perhaps if you care to elaborate on it.

Maybe I'm just being simple but I think if the prices of plugins came down, there may be a whole lot less piracy of them. I realize that plugins developers put intense amounts of work put into their product and if they really do need to be in the area of a couple hundred dollars to make money, that is fine. I really think Massey Plugins have the right idea with their products and pricing. The prices are great and the products kick ass. But I guess Massey can keep the prices low because it is just him (to my knowledge at least) and he does not have to pay a team of programmers, etc.

I was just simply trying to point out that I don't think the issue is as black and white as some people on here seem to be claiming, there is a lot of grey area, and if you look at the issue from a larger perspective than 'I’m a studio engineer and the cost of my plug-ins is going up' it is easier to reach a logical conclusion than saying copy = evil, capitalism = good, all praise Ronald Reagan etc... (Well I'm exaggerating, but you get my point). You have to look at the larger issues causing the problem, even though that may be a massive open-ended chicken and egg argument, but truth as they say is sublime. The truth is always in the context, and over-implications are usually one-sided. It is important to try and understand each others point of view, without condemnation.

Maybe I'm just being simple but I think if the prices of plugins came down, there may be a whole lot less piracy of them. I realize that plugins developers put intense amounts of work put into their product and if they really do need to be in the area of a couple hundred dollars to make money, that is fine. I really think Massey Plugins have the right idea with their products and pricing. The prices are great and the products kick ass. But I guess Massey can keep the prices low because it is just him (to my knowledge at least) and he does not have to pay a team of programmers, etc.

Nah, unfortunately, from all the people I know who pirate shit, the price could be $1 and they'd still download it :Smug: On the other hand, for those who were starting to have moral qualms about it, lower prices would be a better incentive for them to change their ways! (just like Reaper was for me last summer :D)