Perfect Albums

I'm sorry to say this, but I don't really care if you find my choices "honest" or not, because I didn't post them for your approval. I don't particularly value your opinion, and I stand by all of my choices so far.

I guess that I'd also like to add these:

Master's Hammer - Ritual
Warning - Watching from a Distance
Darkthrone - Soulside Journey
Mercyful Fate - Melissa
Demilich - Nespithe
Scald - Will of the Gods Is Great Power
Grand Belial's Key - Mocking the Philanthropist
Rigor Mortis - Rigor Mortis

I have a feeling that it's the worst Rome album, if the song on the teaser EP is any indication. I haven't bothered to check it out yet because of how mediocre that song was. The first Rome album is markedly superior to all of his other material, and also way darker and cooler.

The only other record I have is Masse Mensch Material, which I think is spectacular. Flowers From Exile wasn't as impressive on my first few spins, but the more I listened the more it grew on me. It's very mellow and much more folky (less abrasive percussion and more gentle acoustics), but the songwriting is still phenomenal.

There are few albums that I consider absolutely flawless. Albums that don't waste a single second and embody everything I fucking love about metal.

Gorgoroth - Pentagram
Aeternus - Dark Sorcery
Aeternus - Beyond the Wandering Moon
Rotting Christ - Thy Mighty Contract
Slayer - Hell Awaits
Slayer - Show No Mercy

Some that might have a place on the list in the future:

Solitude Aeturnus - Into the Depths of Sorrow
Scald - Will of the Gods is Great Power
Jag Panzer - Ample Destruction
Running Wild - Gates to Purgatory
Merciless - The Awakening
Master's Hammer - Ritual
Infernäl Mäjesty - None Shall Defy

Beyond The Wandering Moon is so incredibly repetitive to me, I don't even think they manage to write a perfect song there, let alone a perfect album. Basically every song starts with one base tone that they can't leave, always coming back to it in their three chord riffing. What is the charm with this album, I don't get it.

That's the thing I don't think it is, unlike early Darkthrone albums which could grind the same riff for minutes and make it hypnotize you to no end, the repetitiveness of Beyond The Wandering Moon feels more like the result of bad imagination. Granted that it does have some good riffs, like the opening riff of Sworn Revenge for example, but unlike on Transylvanian Hunger the repetitiveness doesn't lie in sweeping melodies. What I mean is that if a song starts in E minor, every part of the whole song will most likely start in that same tone.

Judas Priest - Stained Class
Black Sabbath - Master of Reality
Bathory - Under the Sign of the Black Mark
Burzum - Hvis Lyset Tar Oss
Manilla Road - Crystal Logic
Slayer - Hell Awaits
Candlemass - Epicus Doomicus Metallicus
Demigod - Slumber of Sullen Eyes
Morbid Angel - Blessed Are the Sick
Beherit - Drawing Down the Moon
Atheist - Unquestionable Presence
Trouble - Psalm 9

Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures
Cocteau Twins - Treasure
Swans - White Light from the Mouth of Infinity
Queen - Queen II
Tenhi - Väre
Tom Waits - Bone Machine
Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited
Sol Invictus - In the Rain
My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
David Bowie - Station to Station

There are others, but I don't feel like typing any more right now.

Station to Station, unbelievable record!! So much funk, so much heat, and no soul at all! Terrifying to listen to for that exact reason IMO, Wild is the Wind is one of the darkest things I've ever heard.

I'm intrigued by your choice of Queen II ahead of, say, A Night at the Opera, which was my 1st Queen disc and remains my favourite (although I skip Bohemian Rhapsody now because I've saturated it, brilliant as it is). It has one of my favourite one-twos in Prophet's Song/ Love of my Life. Queen II has a frenzied, risky creativity to it, and The March of the Black Queen feels like a proto- BR, but I always thought of it as imperfect in many ways, which was part of the charm, how madly ambitious it was, how the band just ran with it.

Despite how awesome Crystal Logic is, I find Feeling Free Again brings it down from perfection to excellence.

Same with Moonchild on In the Court of the Crimson King.

93897.jpg

I've always had good a perfect feeling for this album. To me it's such a good album.

Pentagram- Relentless
Phlebotomized- Immense, Intense, Suspense
Discordance Axis-The Inalienable Dreamless
Mercyful Fate- Don't Break the Oath
Acid Bath- When the Kite String Pops
Sarcofago- INRI
Nagelfar- Hunengrab Im Herbst
Appalling Spawn- Freedom,Hope, and Fury
Asphyx- Embrace the Death
Suffocation-Effigy of the Forgotten

EPs

Liers in Wait- Spiritually Uncontrolled ARt
Kataklysm - Mystical Gate of Reincarnation
Suffocation - Despise the Sun

Station to Station, unbelievable record!! So much funk, so much heat, and no soul at all! Terrifying to listen to for that exact reason IMO, Wild is the Wind is one of the darkest things I've ever heard.

I'm intrigued by your choice of Queen II ahead of, say, A Night at the Opera, which was my 1st Queen disc and remains my favourite (although I skip Bohemian Rhapsody now because I've saturated it, brilliant as it is). It has one of my favourite one-twos in Prophet's Song/ Love of my Life. Queen II has a frenzied, risky creativity to it, and The March of the Black Queen feels like a proto- BR, but I always thought of it as imperfect in many ways, which was part of the charm, how madly ambitious it was, how the band just ran with it.

I personally find most of Queen's full-lengths rather patchy and uneven. Maybe it's because I overplayed them to the point of obnoxiousness. But their Greatest Hits compilations are great. The second one has the odd track that I could do without like The Invisible Man, Friends Will Be Friends I Want to Break to Free; the rest is pretty awesome pop rock.
My favorite full-length is probably Innuendo, rendered somewhat obsolete due to the fact that the best cuts from the album ended up on various compilations.

there is no perfect album

I agree with Koude.

These albums get close to perfection, though:

Metallica - Master of Puppets
Slayer - Reign in Blood
Mercyful Fate -Melissa
Darkthrone - Soulside Journey
Death - Symbolic
Exodus - Bonded by Blood
Kreator - Terrible Certainty
Nile - Anihilation of the Wicked
Morbid Angel - Covenant
Iron Maiden - Powerslave
Bathory - Twilight of the Gods
Dissection - Storm of the Light's Bane

Solitude Aeturnus - Beyond the Crimson Horizon
Candlemass - Nightfall
Burzum - Hvis Lyset Tar Oss
Gorguts - The Erosion of Sanity
Gorguts - Obscura
Rotting Christ - Non Serviam
Darkthrone - Transilvanian Hunger
Emperor - In the Nightside Eclipse
Running Wild - Death or Glory

Dead Can Dance - Aion
Dead Can Dance - Within the Realm of a Dying Sun
Alice in Chains - Jar of Flies
The Cure - Disintegration

I personally find most of Queen's full-lengths rather patchy and uneven. Maybe it's because I overplayed them to the point of obnoxiousness. But their Greatest Hits compilations are great. The second one has the odd track that I could do without like The Invisible Man, Friends Will Be Friends I Want to Break to Free; the rest is pretty awesome pop rock.
My favorite full-length is probably Innuendo, rendered somewhat obsolete due to the fact that the best cuts from the album ended up on various compilations.

i'm buying Innuendo tomorrow, in the 90s they really started experimenting again, i wasn't a fan of 80s stadium-rock queen, the obvious tracks aside. (One Vision rocks my world and i'm not ashamed of it, what a vocal!). Queen's best albums from the 70s were definitely uneven in tone, but this is because you had every member of the band bringing songs in, and songwriters using different instruments- most rock bands don't have a writer as attuned to the piano as Freddie. The quality too varied, but my faves, ANatO and QueenII, are stellar pretty much start to finish.