pet-peeves GO!

I had one guy tell me I didn't understand music properly cause I was not religious (NOTE I SAID RELIGIOUS NOT SPIRITUAL), and couldn't see how god intended it.

WHAT?! I do my best to act professionally with every single client, but in this case I would have told him this is not going to work out and sent him to someone else. There are loads of... uh... religious engineers out there such as Tad Donley who will probably do it better, anyway.

WHAT?! I do my best to act professionally with every single client, but in this case I would have told him this is not going to work out and sent him to someone else. There are loads of... uh... religious engineers out there such as Tad Donley who will probably do it better, anyway.

sometimes you just gotta roll with it. My response was *subtle giggle* "whatever you say". At the end of the day people like that don't have a hope in hell(lol) in getting anywhere with an attitude like that, so I'll take their money for the day and it gives me hilarious shit to talk about to my friends.

i light candles for pretty much every recording session now, love that shit

When people can't hear that their take is out of time or has excessive amounts of string noise or is just plain crap.
Even when you play it back to them numerous times.
So frustrating.

Also intonation.
ESPECIALLY intonation on floyds.

I also believe what makes a good Engineer/producer is being able to interpret what the musician is trying to say and helping them develop their ideas.

Oh, when people throw around words like "musically" "warm" "analog" to describe a product.

Like "My new 500$ handmade TS is amazing, the sound is just so warm and musically compared to the normal version"

You have to put in the extra effort to make your material sound professional. Nothing worse than an out of tune or poorly playing instrument ruining a recording (especially when the musicians are talented).

Very true. You'd get a laugh out of the last record I mixed. Not only out of tune riffs, but looped, so every time it's out of tune on the exact same notes, the exact same way. Same deal with string noise and overtones. Looped over and over.

Most of the time I will give them and their tech the benefit of the doubt on the first day and see what they come in with. Usually it leads to having to re-intonate the guitar when they come in, but at point you're on the clock, so you're actually getting compensated for the time.

I try to outsource as much stuff to techs as possible during tracking, because I don't like my mind being divided between all the technical issues, and still needing to retain the broader production perspective. Two entirely different areas of the brain, and it's possible to stretch oneself too thin.

@CFH13: Some of those read like horror stories. If someone brought out the religion card and somehow related it to my work, that would be the cue for glass to find its way into their face.

As far as the whole spirituality thing goes, I never needed it when I did my own tracking. I will try to make the place somewhat dim and vibely (and cool, finally, with the air con) but anyone needing to hang up idols, start lighting candles etc. That's the point at which you shut the hell up and just play. So much of music is an absolute wank... most musicians live in it, and are indulged in it by their fans every day of their lives. It gives someone a pretty skewed view of reality. The last thing we need is for the sensible, technical minded folk (engineers) to indulge in the same nonsense. Producers, yeah, they're meant to relate to the artist, so whatever it takes, but the project needs at least one grounded individual that isn't so coked up and tripped out as to release 50 minutes of white noise sliced into rhythmic patterns.

Recording sessions are days at work. They aren't vacations for the artist to drown in their ego. I can't stand those that try to arbitrate some fake spirituality to a process that is inherently technical, and in many ways formulaic. The same thing goes for some engineers. It's why I can't get cover to cover through 'Mixing with your mind'. I feel like I haven't done enough tonnes of LSD to relate to any of it.

i dont know about you, but it pisses me off when they put their ears right against the monitors!!!

ahhhhh!! are they deaf??? even if it's turned up really loud and you're trying to show them something, they put their big heads right against the speakers!!!!!! adfskl;jadfskl;jadskl;hj

haha
This thread really made me laugh. Thanks for all the funny yet true posts.
I wonder if there's an equivalent thread somewhere in a musicians forum about AEs :)

haha
I wonder if there's an equivalent thread somewhere in a musicians forum about AEs :)

There are surely countless ones about sound guys, which I find funny, because for 1 bad sound guy you get like 5 bad musicians, who just want to put the blame on someone else :bah:

haha

"....and then the ENGINEER has the balls to tell me that I was out of tune when I clearly tuned the guitar after I put the new strings on it that morning"

:lol:

I try to ignore the "it will sound better when it's mastered, yeah?" right after we've finished tracking drums to a rough guide track.

The only thing that pisses me off is "why do i have to do it again?".
Sometimes I feel like just coming out with "you don't, we can leave it and you can sound like shit".

+1

Just been talking to a guy about tracking his band and he said exactly that! because he has a laney amp that sounds too tight and won't need a ts!

who was this silly silly moo??

Girlfriends, only sitting in a corner, dont say a word, and most of time got bored to death.

I thought this would be the case after using the word "shhhhhhhh"

but no... this lead to the one and only time i've lost it in the studio and told everyone except the gutiarist/writer and the drummer to GTFO before i lynched the lot of them with the least expensive xlr cable to hand...

to be honest, you guys have covered alot of my peeves... I'll certainly know now which ones to watch out for

Anybody ever had to sit out 263 takes (I remember vividly) for a 4 bar guitar riff?
At 263 I told him, ok give it a rest, we'll use this one, it's ok. When the band left, I picked up my guitar (whilst not even playing guitar as a main instrument), and did it in 2 takes... Nobody noticed a thing afterwards.. Whilst it sounded different offcourse, guitar, player.etc.etc..but it worked out and just blended it properly in the mix.