pet-peeves GO!

Let this thread be the be-all-end-all guide for recording musicians - this should definitely give them some insight into what NOT to do.

Some of you should print this thread and keep it in the studio, to be read and signed along with the contract.

I've already copy'd and pasted some of the stuff, and sent to my clients that are coming up. LOL.

I share some of ur guys pain haha.

My latest one
-Guitarist dont bring their instrument cable.
-When a band just randomly shows in you studio and asks "are you busy" (happen yesterday)

Great thread!

1. Drummer hitting on the drums when I'm setting up the mics. Seriously, what the fuck. All it takes is one heavy snare hit when my ear is close enough and that's it, game over for me. This is probably the only thing that can actually get me really pissed off in a session, at least if it happens again after I tell the drummer not to do so again.

I have lost my faith in drummers to actually understand this. After it happens the first time and I tell them it's definitely "not cool", it usually takes max 10 minutes and it happens again. That's why nowadays I always wear ear protection when I see drummer in a 5 meter proximity of a drumkit.

One thing that also pisses me off is these "rockers", who think it takes a minute to plug everything up, hit the rec and still sound good. As a beginner I'd be happy to experiment different things and take my time (micing, etc.) and it's definitely helpful when someone tells you that "MAAN, WHY DOES THAT TAKE THAT LONG, LETS ROCK?!!????" And it needs to be said that that previous quote came from a musician as I was simply throwing the mics to drumkit, I had not even recorded anything through them yet.

So I got some good ones:

Drummer cant play a part. We try it for like 20 takes. After that the drummer says: "damn I dont care about that part, I dont like it, the other guys wanted it in"

Guitar player in the controll room: "Can the drummer hear me"
Me "wait if to open the talkback channel"
I press the bottom and say ok
Guitar player screams "Drummer can you hear me"

guitar players with disonant guitars
Bassplayers with shitty old strings
Bassplayers who CANT play bass.
Singers who cant sing

Girlfriends, only sitting in a corner, dont say a word, and most of time got bored to death.

Bands that have no idea how shitty their music is.

1 - Smelly guys (happened once, we were in my home studio room, that's claustrophobic tiny and 2 guys were fucking stinky, I wanted to puke)
2 - Musicians asking for more this, more that, less that... ALL THE TIME
3 - Close minded musicians whining about ampsims, drum replacement, autotune...
4 - Girlfriends: they transmit their boredom to everyone else (happened once and I was fucking uncomfortable).
5 - Showing up late or early (once, up to 2h late).

+100 on the chair shit......after about the 3rd time of someone fidgeting around and bumping my chair I'm instantly pissed like ...Hulk Smash pissed ... Hulk Smash guitarist,Hulk smash guitarist now! haha (reminds me of being in school and the kid behind you is kicking your chair.)

other than that
farting in the control room is def not cool,
and mother fuckers breathing on me with hot rotten ass breath..... a tic tac goes a long way in the studio brotha

yeah... farting in the CR...

i already have to sit there and fix their shit performance (usually)... i don't also need to inhale all their nose-hair burning ass-bombs.

When a drummer turns up with two bass drums and five toms. never yet have they been good.
In fact, i have NEVER recorded someone who uses more than 3 toms that is any good. Coincidence?? probably not, and these drummers who set up these leviathan kits then precede to not play the extra 2 toms or 5000 cheap shit cymbals they set up and you mic'd up. what a waste of time.

i'll remember more later.

I've had a drummer show up with a locally hand-made kit consisting of two kicks, SIX toms, and three different snares. Not to mention a whole shitload of hand-hammered cymbals. Funny thing, the dude was a total Neal Peart freak & could play beautifully. ...I mean, just wonderful technique.... great timing, and hit HARD. We changed out snares for various songs.

I live for those days.

Then again, in 11 years, that's happened ONCE. :heh:

I've had a drummer show up with a locally hand-made kit consisting of two kicks, SIX toms, and three different snares. Not to mention a whole shitload of hand-hammered cymbals. Funny thing, the dude was a total Neal Peart freak & could play beautifully. ...I mean, just wonderful technique.... great timing, and hit HARD. We changed out snares for various songs.

I live for those days.

Then again, in 11 years, that's happened ONCE. :heh:

yeeeeeeeeeeah. Sounds about right!!:Smug:

not a huge deal or anything, but it really annoys me when I'm setting up a vocalist for tracking and set the preamp up to be at the right volume, and then when they start tracking they are 5 x louder out of nowhere and it's clipping. It's like, come on motherfucker, did we not just do that for a reason?

not a huge deal or anything, but it really annoys me when I'm setting up a vocalist for tracking and set the preamp up to be at the right volume, and then when they start tracking they are 5 x louder out of nowhere and it's clipping. It's like, come on motherfucker, did we not just do that for a reason?

Just always set the gain a bit lower than needed in soundcheck. I've noticed this especially with drummers. They NEVER play as hard in the check, and it's understandable since they don't have the drive on at that point. If you leave a 3dB headroom from the hardest possible snare hit on the check, you can be sure the snare and OH tracks are clipping on the first real take :)

I set levels during a test take so they actually have the music blasting in their headphones, which makes a lot of difference. Also, as stated, you should keep it safe - a few db lower, especially in such loud/heavy music is not a big problem whereas clipping generally is (an exception is when the singer really pours their heart out in one epic scream and it gets clipped which makes it sound even cooler).

i dont know about you, but it pisses me off when they put their ears right against the monitors!!!

ahhhhh!! are they deaf??? even if it's turned up really loud and you're trying to show them something, they put their big heads right against the speakers!!!!!! adfskl;jadfskl;jadskl;hj