Peter leaving

i have to say that Mikael may be the backbone of Opeth, but Peter puts out the image, i think just cuz he's the sexiest member of the band...and hes kinda tall. But it looks like opeth got themselves a shredder...lol. i hope nothing gets outta hand.

This situation is full of lamentation. I had the honor of briefly speaking with Peter when Opeth was at a signing in Vancouver BC, he was very humble and polite. It's not suprising the excessive touring has been instrumental in his decision to leave Opeth. Best Regards to Peter in all his future endeavors.

I think in terms of overall sound in the next album, Peter's departure will not make a huge difference; aside from maybe the solos.

Live, on the other hand, will be a very different experience. Peter always had this incredible presence that really added to Opeth's image. It will be quite strange without him holding one foot up on the fallback monitors!

oh it's a very bad news

Peter was a very important member of Opeth (as all), it's a sad day

I hope new guitarist will be up to Lindgren

Peter will definitely be missed.. his stage presence was awesome! his tight guitar playing is something i've always admired... i hope we'll hear from you again!

Thank you for your awesomeness!! :worship:

Peter will definitely be missed.. his stage presence was awesome! his tight guitar playing is something i've always admired... i hope we'll hear from you again!

Thank you for your awesomeness!! :worship:

He really was a guy who showed how much he was enjoying it. Always smiling and so on. On the other hand I hope that Fredrik is not so lame a headbanger as Peter was. :erk:

I think I can start calling the MAYH - GOP period "an era" now... And the Akerfeldt - Lindgren - Mendez - Lopez line-up a "classic one"...
Not that I'm not excited about the new album though.

As reasons for leaving a band go, Peter's is a good one. Wanting a family (and spending time with those people) will make you give up crazy things. It's a testament to his character that he's left an increasingly popular and critically successful band to pursue his life. I understand. I'm bummed out, but I understand.

He ought to hook up with Lopez and play gigs around Sweden since neither of them are too keen on travel...

I'm excited to hear how the new album will sound with a new drummer AND a new guitarist. I'm prepared for it to be different. I'm actually kind of looking forward to it. Call me crazy...

~~~

Peter lent grace and dignity to the band and added to their Majestic Presence.

Well wishes for he and his.

God save the rest of us.

~~~~

I am actually upset... I can't believe this!

Thanks Pete, for the good times. I wish you could've visited the forum and mucked around a bit but your playing was more than enough. I look forward to hearing more of your music, if there's any plans on it being made. All the best.

This is quite a shock! I know Mikael pretty much calls the shots for their musical content, but I can't help think that this will leave an indelible mark on Opeth's vibe... I pray this change doesn't alter their sound too much...if it turns into a shreadfest, I'll be disappointed, as the space between the notes is music too.....best regards to Peter and his new direction in life.

This is a breaking-heart news for me. I was totally frozen when I first saw this news. Peter is the inseparable part of Opeth, and all the Opeth fans will miss him.

Thanks Peter, for the time you shared with Opeth.

I wish you all the best.

And you just KNOW what she's been saying..."oh, you have to go on the ROAD again, huh? What's more important, Mikael or me?".

Yoko Lindgren

valid point, but not likely the issue...

im sure she was well aware of the fact of what he was into before they got together....

i doubt any of us could go on 19 month tours... they ARE getting older, and as someone said before, priorities do change with age.

once again, good luck peter. you the man dawg!