Peter Lindgren come back plz

Status
Not open for further replies.
its so lame how pretty much every thread made here gets flamed for being a shit thread, this thread has sparked some relatively intelligent debate about opeth and surely thats what the opeth forum is about so get over it.

I've seen Opeth live with both Peter and Fred and I fucking loved peter he's just such a cool dude. Having said that, I enjoyed the later gig with Fred more, and I do think that Opeth is at its tightest most polished point at the moment. Its undeniable what Peter has contributed to the band and those people saying he was just a plug in guitarist - what a load of shit! His playing was so unique and full of a certain feel, it just added so much atmosphere to the music. I thought Fred would ruin watershed with overused shredding and guitar-wank (because thats what i loved about Opeth guitar solo's - it wasn't about how skillful the playing was but how much feel they played with), but I think his solos on watershed worked really well, and showed his skill as a musician, rather than as a guitarist (if you get the distinction i'm trying to make there).

So what I'm trying to say here is that I loved Opeth with Peter (and Lopez for that matter) and I was absolutely devostated when both of those members left the band, but these things happen. And now Fred (and Axe) are in the band and its different yes, but it's still Opeth and I can't wait to see what else they produce.

Honestly, while the new lineup may be "tighter", most of the old songs have completely lost their flair and soul live. The two new guys are pure metal in their playing, which fits the new album well. Listening to either of them try to flub their way through any remotely emotional/laid-back pieces live was a bit hard to listen to though :/

Honestly, while the new lineup may be "tighter", most of the old songs have completely lost their flair and soul live. The two new guys are pure metal in their playing, which fits the new album well. Listening to either of them try to flub their way through any remotely emotional/laid-back pieces live was a bit hard to listen to though :/

Thankfully someone has the same opinion as me, there can be an overuse of keyboards from Per imo, some nice parts aswell that fill some songs out but yeah keyboard for keyboards sake sometimes. I was gutted i never saw lopez play but i guess now the question has changed from who saw lopez live to who saw peter live.

Indeed, we all agree that Watershed is Opeth's most metal album.
Right?
Dude, what other album has blast beats and semi-generic shredding solos? Seriously, Martin Lopez was not in any way a generic metal drummer. He had so much latin influence and laid back-ness compared to most "all 100% all the time" metal drummers.

Watershed is my current favorite Opeth album, but we can all agree that it's quite a bit different than any of their other records. Much of this is the different drumming style.

Opeth is not only a metal band...i was only a metalhead before i listen opeth..Mike is an open minded person...unfortunately the most people in this fucking forum are metal-boys,15-20 years old,who don't really know what opeth is.they only want to listen a metal-riff that's all!if u want to know, for me opeth is much more than a band,they have changed my life and the way i am thinking....OPETH are my gods(and deliverance the holy bible!)

thank you opeth for making me understand that there is really good music and outside the metal-world.

ps1: F$$CK YOU ALL WHO BLAME EVERYONE WHO WANT TO SAY HE'S OPINION ABOUT HE'S FAVOURITE BAND :puke:

ps2: sorry for my english (btw i dont really care about this)

Opeth is not only a metal band...i was only a metalhead before i listen opeth..Mike is an open minded person...unfortunately the most people in this fucking forum are metal-boys,15-20 years old,who don't really know what opeth is.they only want to listen a metal-riff that's all!if u want to know, for me opeth is much more than a band,they have changed my life and the way i am thinking....OPETH are my gods(and deliverance the holy bible!)

thank you opeth for making me understand that there is really good music and outside the metal-world.

ps1: F$ YOU ALL WHO BLAME EVERYONE WHO WANT TO SAY HE'S OPINION ABOUT HE'S FAVOURITE BAND :puke:

ps2: sorry for my english (btw i dont really care about this)

Well actually this kinda post is more likely to come from a teenager..

Being affected this much from a band?! I mean come on there are much more important things to life a grown up would have experienced..

It's a shame Celebrity Death Match isn't still around, they could've done a Pete vs. Fred episode.

I'm not sure why this has to be a Pete vs. Fred issue. You prefer Pete's style, cool... he was an excellent musician and an integral part of the Opeth legend. What you're leaving out is that he didn't want to do it anymore, he quit the band to pursue a career outside of music. What was the band supposed to do, hang it up and call it a career because someone chose to leave on his own?

I just don't see the point in wasting this much energy bemoaning the guy's departure and berating Fredrik's talent simply because you're all butthurt about Pete leaving. Fred's a fantastic player, why not try being just a tad more fair about it and give the guy a little time to develop some chemistry with the band before just summarily writing him off as just some random shredder who doesn't fit the band's sound? Do you REALLY think that Mike would entrust someone like that with such a pivotal role in Opeth?! Not bloody likely. Developing creative chemistry is something that rarely, if ever happens overnight.

Personally, while I obviously love and appreciate Pete's work with the band, I loved Fred's contributions on Watershed. Sure, he can shred with just about anyone, but the solos he contributed to the record were actually quite tasteful and melodic and added a fresh new flavor to the music, IMO. I eagerly anticipate hearing his future work and development as a part of the overall Opeth sound.

Why not try turning the page, because bottom line... Pete just isn't coming back, what are you going to do, mourn the guy for the next 10 years?

^Agreed. And on the other hand it's unfair to just blast the hell out of Peter for leaving, just because he didn't contribute so damn heavily to the writing. Mendez doesn't write any songs, but I would be sad if he left the band. Respect Peter, respect Fred, and please stop being a bunch of cunts about this.

^. lol frosties, don't swing that way. I was answering a likely question that could have been misinterpreted from my first sentence. You know how it is here, rather avoid having to type all sorts of crap to explain.

First off, Somesay peter is a plug in guitarist and seem to almost bash his playing although the same people here were singing his praises when he was still in the band, a little hypocritcal from some posters. Fred is imo a shredder by nature and has a hell of a way to go before arriving at an 'independant' player with his own style. The main song he contributed on was porcelain heart and lets face it, its shit.
All this talk about peter returning is not going to happen (unfortunatly), as with Lopez (againg unfortunate) but atleast there is GR backwards with these guys playing and as far as future releases are concerned i hope for more but after Watershed i am hoping for better thing (i dont even know what i mean exactly) i didnt really like the album in general apert from a couple of tracks, so there you have it my opinion afew will agree but im sure most here will be smokin freds pork lance with defence for him.

Totally agree. Peter leaving has had more of an effect than most people like to admit to imo; just look at Watershed ffs - an ok album in its own right - but as you say, in the grand scheme of things (and taking previous observations into account ;) ) it's actually quite mediocre.

Totally agree. Peter leaving has had more of an effect than most people like to admit to imo; just look at Watershed ffs - an ok album in its own right - but as you say, in the grand scheme of things (and taking previous observations into account ;) ) it's actually quite mediocre.

Admit? What are you talking about? lol Are we afraid of Fredrick or what? Why shouldnt we admit? gees

Peter's leave didnt affect the band in negative direction in my opinion and fucking PERIOD.

How could Peter have had such an effect on an Opeth album when he contributed no riffs whatsoever ?

Martin Lopez had a much greater influence than Peter Lindgren, and he left too. If you dislike Watershed and want to blame it to the lineup changes, Lopez is the way to go, not Lindgren.

Status
Not open for further replies.