Philippine Metal Scene

One word to describe the Metal scene here... undistinguished!
It really sucks! Full of rap and nu metal... combined!!!
Bands here always copy the music of other bands. They make boring sounds. Lyrics that are most of the time also boring even though they scream their heads off! It's just plain unmusicianship. I hate it!

Some really are good but are far from great.

bringer_of_war said:
One word to describe the Metal scene here... undistinguished!
It really sucks! Full of rap and nu metal... combined!!!
Bands here always copy the music of other bands. They make boring sounds. Lyrics that are most of the time also boring even though they scream their heads off! It's just plain unmusicianship. I hate it!

Some really are good but are far from great.

hey dude, do you remember the great ICONOCLAST from marikina? The pioneers of goth-metal, nobody even came close to their innovation. or even those marikina bands, death-influenced but never sounded typical...

Underground... much are alternative happy music. Remember rivermaya or eraserheads... their sound is popular in the underground scene. Punk and ska in the southern regions of luzon. Others, scattered all over the country.

Clubs here are gaining popularity. Many are located in Libis. Most clubs play hiphop instead of techno which is kind of disappointing for me.

I just wish the whole thing stops. That's why I don't listen to the radio anymore.

hydrogrind, I have no idea what you're saying but the worst, and I mean WORST band comes from Davao. They are called freestyle and they make music that's always the same. They also cover every song in the POP charts ranging from boybands to hiphop. No matter how many songs they make, it will always be the same.

I'm going to The Philippines this summer for vacation (I haven't been tehre since I was a baby)..I'm going to try to find their metal scene.

I hope I won't be disappointed. :)

There is a growing scene in Manila right now. I'm currently co-hosting a monthly metal show called "Metal Madness" over at NU 107 and we feature local bands as much as we can. Last month's episode we featured Bane, Mortal Grudge and the comebacking Death By Stereo. We also had several guys from Sea of Rains, Argot and Resurrected hang out at the studio as they were promoting some shows they were playing at. From what they told me they had weekly gigs at some club in Intramuros. Mortal Grudge also released their independently-produced debut album "Morbid Sentiments". I think real metal is on the upswing in the Philippines as nu metal is about to totally die out. We also hope to educate people on what real metal is with the show. So check out the show.

For our metal brothers in Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia, Vietnam, etc., if you have streaming audio, visit nu107.com and listen to our next episode on April 30, 2004 at 10 pm - 12 midnight (same time as Singapore/Malaysia). We'll be having our all-covers episode called "Under the Influence."

Does The Philippines carry any good metal cds in stores? or is it really hard to find some?