Philippine Metal Scene

charnee said:
Does The Philippines carry any good metal cds in stores? or is it really hard to find some?
I don't know if this is already too late but here goes:

If you're in the downtown Manila area, specifically the University Belt area in Recto, you can go to Cartimar. Just ask around if you're in the vicinity, people know this place. Once there, there is an abundance of metal shops selling cds and bootleg metal shirts. Most of the cds there however are CDRs but there are some original titles as well.

South of Manila, you can go to Parañaque City and visit Metal Disc which carries both original and cdr metal titles. I recently picked up Exodus' "Tempo of the Damned" there but I had to pre-order it though. But they did have several black, death, thrash, power and traditional metal titles on display which may cacth your fancy.

Its exact address is:
Metal Disc
17 President Avenue
Tahanan Village
Parañaque City
tel # 842-7501

Hope this helps!

iconbertone said:
hey dude, do you remember the great ICONOCLAST from marikina? The pioneers of goth-metal, nobody even came close to their innovation. or even those marikina bands, death-influenced but never sounded typical...
Iconoclast? I remember those guys. Aren't you the frontman of that band? Hmm, a little fishing expedetion huh? :rolleyes:

alvinbakal said:
I don't know if this is already too late but here goes:

If you're in the downtown Manila area, specifically the University Belt area in Recto, you can go to Cartimar. Just ask around if you're in the vicinity, people know this place. Once there, there is an abundance of metal shops selling cds and bootleg metal shirts. Most of the cds there however are CDRs but there are some original titles as well.

South of Manila, you can go to Parañaque City and visit Metal Disc which carries both original and cdr metal titles. I recently picked up Exodus' "Tempo of the Damned" there but I had to pre-order it though. But they did have several black, death, thrash, power and traditional metal titles on display which may cacth your fancy.

Its exact address is:
Metal Disc
17 President Avenue
Tahanan Village
Parañaque City
tel # 842-7501

Hope this helps!
:cry: ahh damn! I left the 4th and just came back four days ago.. rawwwwr! I really could've used this...:( ..oh well maybe I'll save this for another year haha.. it would've been cheap too. Thanks anyway. :)
Mega Mall is really...mega.

Oh Yes in Cartimar, Dee-signs (sells original Metal CD's and semi-pirated CD's in the past but now, it sells real pirated CD's costing P35), Nizzle Dazzle (imports original CD's where you can also buy in their stores and also sells semi-pirated CD's costing P375), Bangketa's (TOTAL SELL OUTS!!!)

What I meant by semi-pirated CD's are pirated CD's that has more good qualities than a real fake pirated CD. The CD-R is much better than the P6 CD-R that you can buy in stores. And it has a printed front and back cover. But not as good as the real and original CD!

Ehh, I'm bored...

Bringer of War said:
One word to describe the Metal scene here... undistinguished!
It really sucks! Full of rap and nu metal... combined!!!
Bands here always copy the music of other bands. They make boring sounds. Lyrics that are most of the time also boring even though they scream their heads off! It's just plain unmusicianship. I hate it!

Some really are good but are far from great.

Hey bringer, check this out. http://www.filipinometal.com

Alvinbakal said:
There is a growing scene in Manila right now. I'm currently co-hosting a monthly metal show called "Metal Madness" over at NU 107 and we feature local bands as much as we can.

Yeah, i've heard of that show, my band mate told me. But i never listen to the radio anymore. There must be a radio station that plays good and real metal bands fulltime. NU Doesn't do that, well except for that show.

Bringer of war said:
Just recently, Lacuna Coil's COMALIES got released here under a local label.
As for good metal cds, there's only Dream Theater. I don't know about the underground scene here but i think it growing.

Well, yeah the stores here sucks but let me name a few bands that was released in our fucking market...

They have only one or two albums released

Iron Maiden
Lacuna Coil
Black Sabbath
Yngwie Malmsteen
Cradle of Filth
Crowbar
Sepultura
Some hardcore bands (Snapcase, Earth Crisis, Strife...)
Megadeth
Metallica
Dream theater

and some nu metal crap bands

And bertone, your band is good!

erm..I just have a query for alvinbakal:

why is Metal Madness only on once a month? the metal scene would certainly gain more exposure if the show was on a bit more regular sked..anyways, have listened once, and I'm left wanting more. haha..

NU sucks anyways... I haven't listened to that Metal Madness, but that's just showing that NU are fucking sell outs and greedy... Kung Kailan dumame ang mga metalheads chaka sila gumawa ng mga Metal madness na yan...

alvin I think is one of the DJs there but he quitted already... haha, he even said there's one fucker DJ there that only listens and knows melodeth... hahaha...

My advice is just listen to your own playlists man, It's much worth your time instead of waiting for that Metal Madness for once a fucking month? Burn NU...

Which DJ are you talking about RosesofShadow? As far as I know, there are only two DJ's who are really into metal.

Strychnos, welcome back. It's been a long time. I've noticed that you're listening to Pain of Salvation. Are you a fan of the band? I am and would definitely like to meet a Filipino who likes that band. D. Gildenlow is a GENIUS!!!

I don't know, alvinbakal just mentioned it to me... I'm not listening to that metal madness so I don't know who the DJs are... And is it true that only two of them are into metal? Oh my god, why is it even called Metal Madness at all? Maybe Pop Madness eh?

Hehehe, progressive nga din ang hilig niya, Pain of Salvation din, magkakasundo kayo chaka malapit lang bahay niyo...

Roses of Shadow, Bringer of War:
I used to co-host Metal Madness. I was Mad Tyrant in that show. I quit at the start of the year 'coz I had a huge argument with the other main host, Mr. SLH whose knwoledge and appreciation for metal is limited only to prog metal and gothenberg melodic metal. We had an argument over the content of the show. Basically, he wanted to expose the listeners to metal thru Converge (who the fuck is this band anyway, are they even real metal?) rather than Overkill or Metal Church. Plus, he's a bible thumping born again christian who has an agenda to slowly integrate christian metal acts. I was able to successfully deflect any of his attempts to play christian metal bands simply for having christian messages in their songs rather than how good the actual music is.

The two girls who co-host the show are Dylan and Shiela, both or whom know absolutely zilch about metal. Dylan is the dj from NU. Shiela is an Aussie girl who's a fellow born-again xtian friend of SLH's. The only reason why she's on the show is coz she's SLH's friend and she asked him if she could be on the show. She told me this herself. To Shiela's credit, she actually likes some metal, but basically the same type of metal Slh listens to.

Metal Madness sucks now. If you listen to the show, notice how there is absolutely NO BLACK METAL COVERAGE. Well, that's aside from some Dimmu Borgir or Cradle of Filth (who are not black metal anyway). I listened to some bits of the last episode and I noticed that they still used some material that I burned for Slh (the ORIGIN track in particular). Oh btw, most of the stuff that they play are from pirated cds. Slh is a huge moocher. He lives off the free stuff that Metal Disc gives to him. He had a falling out with the owner of Metal Disc a couple of months back after they gave him a lot of pirated cds in exchange for airplay and on-air promotion of the store. Slh didn't get to play any of the cds nor did he mention the store much in that show. I heard that he's mooching off them again so they may have kissed and made up. Metal Madness should change its name to Metal Sadness. He, he, he.

Roses of Shadow is right, don't bother listening to Metal madness. Listen to your own playlists, download metal from the net, buy the original metal cds whenever you can and if you have the means. Metal doesn't need radio. METAL DOESN'T NEED METAL SADNESS!!!

Alvinbakal, I agree with you. Metal does not need sadness. If the current situation goes on, the result can be devastating.

Anyway, I listened to the last episode and was a bit curious why you were gone. So now, after finally knowing the whole story, I actually am enlightened and quite persuaded by what you wrote. I prefer, like what you said, looking for metal on the net that will satisfy my urge for music. And I think it's a better choice 'cause it's not always the case that when I listen to that show, I listen to Metal that satisfies me. In fact, there had been only a few times (which at this very moment I can't remember) that that show gave me what I wanted. Though it's a fact that I'm not the extreme metal listener that I used to be, I still want to hear those extreme metal tunes that would really grab my attention - that show never gave me any. I'm more of a prog listener right now, and excuse me if I say that I'm also a listener to different kinds of music. By the way, the only good prog tunes I heard from that show were one from Symphony X and another from Liquid Tension Experiment. Apart from that, I don't remember any or maybe the others I heard just didn't suit my taste.

A small complaint I have and don't really consider serious and wouldn't really help me otherwise is that the prices of the discs on Metal Discs are very high. I've called the store once and asked for the price of a Morbid Angel disc. The guy from the store said it cost P800 and gave me a price range of their discs of, I think, P800 - P1000+ per disc. I mean, I don't buy CDs locally but wouldn't it be really nice if the discs sold here had the same price as those sold in the net, for instance in The End Records a disc would normally cost $12-$13. It would be much comfortable for me if I could pay the same price for a disc in this country - it would save me a lot of other expenses and hassles.

alvinbakal said:
I used to co-host Metal Madness. I was Mad Tyrant in that show. I quit at the start of the year 'coz I had a huge argument with the other main host, Mr. SLH whose knwoledge and appreciation for metal is limited only to prog metal and gothenberg melodic metal. We had an argument over the content of the show. Basically, he wanted to expose the listeners to metal thru Converge (who the fuck is this band anyway, are they even real metal?) rather than Overkill or Metal Church. Plus, he's a bible thumping born again christian who has an agenda to slowly integrate christian metal acts. I was able to successfully deflect any of his attempts to play christian metal bands simply for having christian messages in their songs rather than how good the actual music is.

Hahahaha! What the fuck? Converge isn't metal, they are hardcore... That SLH guy is a fucker moron, I mean why would you play CDs in some "Metal Madness show" to preach the word of God? and not promote good music at all?

alvinbakal said:
The two girls who co-host the show are Dylan and Shiela, both or whom know absolutely zilch about metal. Dylan is the dj from NU. Shiela is an Aussie girl who's a fellow born-again xtian friend of SLH's. The only reason why she's on the show is coz she's SLH's friend and she asked him if she could be on the show. She told me this herself. To Shiela's credit, she actually likes some metal, but basically the same type of metal Slh listens to.

Hehehe, those two girls i think is greater than that SLH stoopid guy... And are they pretty? especially the aussie girl? If not, nevermind...

alvinbakal said:
Metal Madness sucks now. If you listen to the show, notice how there is absolutely NO BLACK METAL COVERAGE. Well, that's aside from some Dimmu Borgir or Cradle of Filth (who are not black metal anyway). I listened to some bits of the last episode and I noticed that they still used some material that I burned for Slh (the ORIGIN track in particular). Oh btw, most of the stuff that they play are from pirated cds. Slh is a huge moocher. He lives off the free stuff that Metal Disc gives to him. He had a falling out with the owner of Metal Disc a couple of months back after they gave him a lot of pirated cds in exchange for airplay and on-air promotion of the store. Slh didn't get to play any of the cds nor did he mention the store much in that show. I heard that he's mooching off them again so they may have kissed and made up. Metal Madness should change its name to Metal Sadness. He, he, he.

Hahaha, metal disc gave him pirated CDs to play in radio? Now that's intriguing... That's how they support the metal scene eh? For fucking business and profit?! No no no, I'm not going to buy at Metal Disc anymore, shit I'm planning to buy some Filipino metal CDs there in Cartimar... Oh my god, please help me where to buy them...

And you said that they're only playing Dimmu and Cradle of Fuck, that's the only "Black Metal" bands they play? Oh my God, is this promoting the underground and not known bands? Why would you play Cof and Dimmu when 13 year old goth kids already knows them? Shit! That's Metal Fuckness Shit! Good thing you escaped from that horrible nightmare of yours man!

alvinbakal said:
Roses of Shadow is right, don't bother listening to Metal madness. Listen to your own playlists, download metal from the net, buy the original metal cds whenever you can and if you have the means. Metal doesn't need radio. METAL DOESN'T NEED METAL SADNESS!!!

Yeah, just listen to your own playlist... download and listen, but never do it for business like burn them and sell for, what, P30? HAHAHAHA! I suggest you all buy original CDs from now on guys... I mean you can download samples if you like but never do it for business... Kilala ko naman kayo at di naman kayo ganun...

bringer_of_war said:
A small complaint I have and don't really consider serious and wouldn't really help me otherwise is that the prices of the discs on Metal Discs are very high. I've called the store once and asked for the price of a Morbid Angel disc. The guy from the store said it cost P800 and gave me a price range of their discs of, I think, P800 - P1000+ per disc. I mean, I don't buy CDs locally but wouldn't it be really nice if the discs sold here had the same price as those sold in the net, for instance in The End Records a disc would normally cost $12-$13. It would be much comfortable for me if I could pay the same price for a disc in this country - it would save me a lot of other expenses and hassles.

Yes it is very high, I mean HIGH! I only tried this once, but I bought my The Chasm - Spell of Retribution from them for just an experience on how they do... And you know what...they suck. alvinbakal knows this. I ordered it last Oct 2004 and I got it Jan 2004... My original order was Arghoslent - Incorrigible Bigotry... so I was hoping they'll find this but to no avail, they didn't. And after like, 2 months...I texted them and that's the only time I found out that they can't find my original order and asked for a replacement... So I said, ok, I want The Chasm - Deathcult for Eternity. And he immediately replied what about the new one, Spell of Retribution? He said it to me without having checked if they can find it or not... So I said ok, if you can't find that the Spell is just ok... Cuz I know it'll rule also but not as much as Deathcult (but I'm loving it)

So I got it in January which costs me P1,100.00. P400 of which is downpayment. This is only proof that they suck in terms of service and support for the frailing scene in the Philippines... So, my advice is, never ever buy anything from them anymore... Ok except for Filipino Metal albums... And their pirated CDs which costs P370 also sucks in terms of quality and price. Fuckin fuck heads...

Ok now, help me on ordering my albums from abroad... Bringer? Alvin? hehehe...

That SlH guy..wasn't he one of those blokes that Zach and Joey used to talk with a lot, when they still had that morning show? just occurred to me..ehek. Maybe he's still under that impression that black metal is all about worshipping Satan and engaging in orgies, something that LaVey propagated, but is otherwise contrary to the principles of Crowley..I gotta recommend this book to him in that case(you guys might wanna pick this up too, it's a fairly interesting read): "Lords of Chaos", which chronicles the rise of black metal in Norway, along with the other stuff that happened with it.

either way, I gotta concur with you guys that the stuff in Metal Disc really can choke out our frail wallets.