Pick Up Lines????

My theory is that there was such a man called jesus! however I think there were a few guys going around doing all this so called stuff just not the whole fish and bread thing or healing the blind blah blah.
Religion has lost a lot in the translation from hebrew to latin to modern english.
Also the bible has been re-written so much over the centuries to make it more believable etc.

Most of the stories about Jesus were written many years after his death, when his cult had developed into an actual religion. Of course any stories about the founder of a religion are going to be exaggerated. Most of the more incredible stories in the Bible are apocryphal -- legends, morality tales and fables to emphasise the teachings of the church. There's no historical evidence for most of them. Look at the story of Exodus for example. There's no evidence to suggest that the Hebrews were ever slaves of the Egyptians. A lot of them lived there, yes, and a whole bunch of them got kicked out around the 19th or 20th Dynasty, but they weren't slaves, just trouble-making foreign settlers.

The comments about women are interesting. Certainly in some tribal cultures, women play an active role in matchmaking, but most tribal leaders are men. In more advanced societies, the leaders are almost always men, from the time of the Sumerians. Egypt had several female Pharaohs such as Nitocris, Hapshetsut and Cleopatra, but apart from Cleopatra these queens were not popular and either killed themselves (Nitocris) or were deposed (Hapshetsut). The Ancient Athenians did not even consider women to be citizens. Women have had more of a role in world affairs since the advent of Christianity than before it.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that the Amazons DID cut off their right breasts so they could use their bows more easily. Amazon means "one breasted". But they weren't real, so it doesn't matter.

Female warriors aren't well known in history, although the Celts were known to have them in ancient times.

I think its all changing though, what with all the female warriors we have now, like Buffy, Sarah Connor and Ellen Ripley :)

Speaking as a lapsed Anglican who also happens to be the son of a priest and an all-too regular churchgoer, I believe all religions are essentially the same thing- the need for people to find and impose a meaning on life, when in this chaotic world, no such thing can exist.

There may once have been a bloke called Jesus, who taught many things and influenced a lot of people, but over thousands of years, the stories of the things he did have been wildly exaggerated. Over the generations, thousands of people were brought up to accept these embellishments as the truth, and viola- you have a do-it yourself religion perpetuated by a corrupt few who use it as an excuse to repress women and make people feel guilty for gratifying their natural desires.

And just as further proof human stupidity, what did we do with the one man who more or less (to quote Douglas Adams) "went around saying how great it would be to be nice to people for a change"? We humiliated and killed him. Yeah, good thinking!

W

Originally posted by Goreripper
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that the Amazons DID cut off their right breasts so they could use their bows more easily. Amazon means "one breasted". But they weren't real, so it doesn't matter.

They weren't real? You mean they had implants even back then??

ill tell you one that worked really well in the uk and ireland

girl: So where in australia are you from
Me: Summer bay

and my all time favorite
Me : So do you have a boyfriend
girl: Yes
Me : Do you want a better one?

Hahahaha... seeing a mate's band play at The Espy. Not into their music, but I'm getting in free and wanna catch up with him, and getting free drinks, and I've been to one of their shows before and the girls at their gigs..... :D :heh: :Smokedev:

*Rubs fingers* Hahaha!

Originally posted by The Trooper
Hahahaha... seeing a mate's band play at The Espy. Not into their music, but I'm getting in free and wanna catch up with him, and getting free drinks, and I've been to one of their shows before and the girls at their gigs..... :D :heh: :Smokedev:

*Rubs fingers* Hahaha!

ohhhhh explains all then!

Yep Yep.... he's been asking me to see heaps of their gigs but I never go, only went to 1 and had to leave early to get the last train home. He has his P's now so he's driving me so its all good, and I'll be just hanging around in the band room most of the night drinking the band's free beer (they are all driving and can't have it!)... so I'll look important or like I'm in a band or something. That's gotta help too hahaha. Find some drunk girl.. "Did you see me up there? I was in the first band, Wet Cherry, I'm the lead singer.... we must've played before you arrived!" :lol: :lol:

On the video The Decline Of Western Civilization Part II, one of the guys in an unknown L.A. band, when they have to say what they're band is called, he goes "Wet Cherry" in a sleazy voice hahaha.

Great band name haha.