politics

I'm sorry you feel that way, and very glad that I don't.

But out of curiosity, how can you say that without hearing it first? And spare me the "all trance and electronic music sucks so I'm right by default" bullshit please.

I like some trance, but there are some things that shouldn't be touched, imo. If someone wants to rip off a riff from a song and sample it, that's fine. But to be praised for sampling something as great as Adagio for Strings is ludicrous. This person didn't create that masterpiece, he just rearranged it and added bleeps and squeeks here and there.

And that's what I call a hack. You also have to remember that I like bleeps and squeeks...my band uses bleeps and squeeks...that we created.

I like some trance, but there are some things that shouldn't be touched, imo. If someone wants to rip off a riff from a song and sample it, that's fine. But to be praised for sampling something as great as Adagio for Strings is ludicrous. This person didn't create that masterpiece, he just rearranged it and added bleeps and squeeks here and there.

And that's what I call a hack.

But..... you haven't even heard it :erk:

[ame]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=y5xjIpsHVYQ[/ame]

Just to add some solidity to this argument.

Edit: Nvm Steve beat me to it.

Sorry mang, ten seconds in and I already dislike it. I guess I'm a purist.

It's all good. Everyone has their own taste. I've been a big fan of DJ Tiesto and he has some amazing compilations. If you are ever interested in some amazing trance look no further then Tiesto, he has created some amazing music.

It's obvious that one of the best groups in any "electronic" genre at the moment is Pendulum (aside from The Prodigy), I know they are horrendously mainstream now and incredibly popular amongst scene kids but damn, they're fucking good.

your right, I have seen this and as you might now I love classical quartets and symphonies. this version will always be amazing and the original, but I'm just implying a cover of this in trance version, which really isn't that bad.

Of course it's not bad, it's done really well but I just dislike the idea of mixing trance with actual music and actual instruments, especially classical.

The Prodigy isn't that bad either, but over-rated.

I've only heard of some Pendulum, but not much.

Christopher I understand that to create something from something so great into a trance/electronica might make you cringe, but I am also a classical fan, i listen to that stuff often but i credit DJ Tiesto for creating the trance from that (and really it isn't that bad) I'm sure DJ Tiesto respects Barber.

That's fine, but to call him a "hack" is rather unfair and ignorant if you ask me. Just sayin'

Well, the fact is that when someone remixes anything not theirs that's of this magnitude and greatness, they're automatically a bit of a hack in my book. It's like putting ketchup on filet mignon. Again, I'm not saying it's bad, but it's just kinda...cheesy, I guess. He did a good job of it and it's kinda cool if you're into that sort of thing but he hasn't really created anything. He's just taken someone else's achievement and made it something of his own, which most people would give him credit for...I don't, however.

I have this thing against sampling other people's work, though. I really dislike it.

The Prodigy isn't that bad either, but over-rated.

I've only heard of some Pendulum, but not much.

The Prodigy released a new song recently actually, sounds awesome:

[ame]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=gTw2YvutJRA[/ame]

This is probably one of my all-time favorite pieces, La Follia, and I really tend to dislike Vivaldi. I find him trite and boring at times, but this blows me away every time, especially towards the end. Baroche is not my thing, but this is just so powerful!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atGnTJM1HWg&feature=related[/ame]

Well, the fact is that when someone remixes anything not theirs that's of this magnitude and greatness, they're automatically a bit of a hack in my book. It's like putting ketchup on filet mignon. Again, I'm not saying it's bad, but it's just kinda...cheesy, I guess. He did a good job of it and it's kinda cool if you're into that sort of thing but he hasn't really created anything. He's just taken someone else's achievement and made it something of his own, which most people would give him credit for...I don't, however.

I have this thing against sampling other people's work, though. I really dislike it.

I see what you're saying, but how does that differ from a band doing a cover song in their own special way? If you're gonna tell me that, you'd better also tell me any band that covers another band are hacks too because Tiesto also writes a lot of original music.

That attitude annoys me because you're not even allowing yourself the opportunity to experience something new that you may end up liking a lot. It's your prerogative for sure, but it seems awfully closed-minded and primitive to me. To each their own, I guess.