politics

Steve, have you heard Sasha's remix of Dorset Perception by Shpongle? It's fucking awesome.

I saw Sasha live last year. It was dope.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah that's what I like in electronic music, to have lots of aggression, which is probably why I enjoy groups like Pendulum and The Prodigy who are pretty riffin' actually.

I think this is awesome, almost looks like a metal gig :p

[ame]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=s0ANpXs__vg[/ame]

someone said "electropunk"

Yeah that's one of the possible ways of describing The Prodigy, their wikipedia page says this :lol: :

"Genre(s) Electronic, Rave, Big Beat, Electropunk, Hardcore techno, Breakbeat, Industrial, Alternative rock"

All I know is they're awesome.

lets rave dude since i started talking about Tiesto I been going through my trance library (got a good collection when i started to DJ online)

Right now i got the youngsters playin, im about to go into some compliations

I see what you're saying, but how does that differ from a band doing a cover song in their own special way? If you're gonna tell me that, you'd better also tell me any band that covers another band are hacks too because Tiesto also writes a lot of original music.

That attitude annoys me because you're not even allowing yourself the opportunity to experience something new that you may end up liking a lot. It's your prerogative for sure, but it seems awfully closed-minded and primitive to me. To each their own, I guess.

I'm really glad you asked me that, Kev, and I'll tell you.

The difference between a band covering another band's song and someone sampling someone else's music is that the band isn't usually playing in front of 25,000 people, playing music that someone else wrote. At least not a band of any merit. If you're in a cover band, then you're a hack, sure. But you're not pretending to be something you're not, either. You're playing clubs and making money like it's a job...it's not your creativity. You're doing it because it's just fun and it's an easy way to make some cash while simultaneously getting your band recognized so you may perform your own originals eventually. You're still a bit of a hack, but that's just how it is. It doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad thing.

Now, someone making their entire career off of someone else's work, i.e., just about every single popular hip hop artist since Run DMC and many techno/trance DJs fall into this category. Some of it's absolute dogshit and some of it is a work of genius, but the fact remains that all they've done is rearrange a piece in a way that would be accessible to either the mainstream or the already very strong following they've gathered. They haven't created anything, all they've done is add technology to it, and the saddest part of all of this? Most of their fans won't even know that it's not even the artist's own work. I'm sure everyone has heard Adagio, so this isn't the case here, but you see what I mean.

That said, I love cover bands. I love seeing people recreate something and even improving upon it, but it has its place, and that place isn't in front of 25,000 people.

I'm really glad you asked me that, Kev, and I'll tell you.

The difference between a band covering another band's song and someone sampling someone else's music is that the band isn't usually playing in front of 25,000 people, playing music that someone else wrote. At least not a band of any merit. If you're in a cover band, then you're a hack, sure. But you're not pretending to be something you're not, either. You're playing clubs and making money like it's a job...it's not your creativity. You're doing it because it's just fun and it's an easy way to make some cash while simultaneously getting your band recognized so you may perform your own originals eventually. You're still a bit of a hack, but that's just how it is. It doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad thing.

Now, someone making their entire career off of someone else's work, i.e., just about every single popular hip hop artist since Run DMC and many techno/trance DJs fall into this category. Some of it's absolute dogshit and some of it is a work of genius, but the fact remains that all they've done is rearrange a piece in a way that would be accessible to either the mainstream or the already very strong following they've gathered. They haven't created anything, all they've done is add technology to it, and the saddest part of all of this? Most of their fans won't even know that it's not even the artist's own work. I'm sure everyone has heard Adagio, so this isn't the case here, but you see what I mean.

That said, I love cover bands. I love seeing people recreate something and even improving upon it, but it has its place, and that place isn't in front of 25,000 people.
Did you miss the part where I said Tiesto writes his own original music, or did you just ignore it so you can continue believing your point is valid?

Tiesto doesn't claim he wrote any of the music he sampled, lots of huge bands play covers in front of more than 25,000 people, and guys in cover bands ARE pretending to be something they aren't. That's the whole point.

It's all one in the same, just different kinds of music. I can't understand how you think it's so different with trance and electronic music. It's just different "instruments" doing the "covering". I challenge you to PROVE to me that all these DJs you're talking about really sampled music solely to get famous and make money. I want direct quotes. Show me that, and I'll stop thinking you're full of shit.