politics

Stop thinking that me calling you on your bullshit is only me being "oversensitive." I think you're wasting too much time typing and it's forcing you to miss the point that I was set off by the fact you called him a hack without even ever hearing his music. You based that opinion off of something someone else said about him. Unfortunately, you're entitled to that so have at it.

I'm not upset that you don't like Tiesto, I couldn't give a tiny fuck about that. Again, just so I'm absolutely clear, I'm upset (if you could really even call it that, which I will for lack of a better term) because you called him a hack before even hearing everything in question. You just jumped to a default opinion that you've obviously already had set up just because you hated the idea that Tiesto did what we're talking about (remixed a song you think very highly of).

As far the whole "famous" thing, it's a stretch but I guess I have to give it to you, you didn't technically say the word "famous". But to me and probably everyone else on the face of the earth that's ever listened to a song before, phrases like "accessible to the mainstream" or "very strong following" pretty much imply at least a shred of the word "famous" and the act of getting there, especially in the context you used it in. I apologize for completely misinterpreting you there :rolleyes:

My musical tastes were never in question or even a topic of conversation here, aside from "Tiesto rules" and "this Sasha remix is awesome". Thanks for bringing that up and trying to use it as a weapon against me though! We can argue about that too, if you want. The fact that I like Tiesto and similar music was and is beside the point and not a topic in this discussion at all until YOU brought it up. I was arguing that you ignorantly called a decent, honest musician a "hack" when you were apparently having personal issues with me.

Also, after reading that mammoth post of yours again before hitting "submit" here, I realized that I think you're even missing the point that nobody ever even fucking claimed Tiesto was a "musician" as per your definition of the word. You just decided to throw that out there and start arguing about it. You might be talking about his remixes, but I mentioned long before this argument ever got off the ground that most of his music is original. You chose to ignore that so you could argue about his remixes more because you're offended he did them or something. I don't fucking know.

Methinks YOU are the one who needs to get over themselves.

I called him a hack because he ruined Adagio. HE'S A FUCKING HACK, GET OVER IT. He's great at mixing, yeah, and I'm sure he puts on a phenomenal show, BUT HE'S A FUCKING HACK. He cheapened a beautiful piece of music so people can do E and show their tits. I'm sure Samuel Barber didn't have that in mind when he performed Adagio for the first time. You aren't calling me on anything because I don't give a flying fuck about this guy. YOU'RE the one who got pissy because I called him a hack, and you know what? I didn't have to listen to it to know I wasn't going to like it, but I did anyway. I listened to the song and actually felt sad that he ruined it in such a way. So in my opinion, HE'S A FUCKING HACK.

I DID mean famous = very strong following/mainstream/blah blah. You still didn't get what I was saying. I WASN'T saying that they only did it for money, which is what you insinuated. I was talking about the genre, not necessarily this guy. Many people make a lot of money off of other people's work, that's all. I just think people in these genres sample too much to cover up for lack of songwriting ability. Just my opinion.

And I never had any "personal issue" with you and still don't. You said I was full of shit simply because I thought this guy ruined Adagio and felt he was a hack. Guess what? I still do, and I'm not full of shit. It's just my opinion and you're going to have to deal with it. And even if I wrote him off before listening to it, why do you care? I listened to it anyway JUST TO BE SURE AND GIVE HIM A FAIR SHOT so I wouldn't say something I'd regret later...haven't regretted a single thing so far. It's shit. Get over it.

Again, I didn't bring up his originals because (surprise!) they had nothing to do with what we were talking about. Someone mentioned some dude doing a trance version of Adagio and my first thought was AAAAHHHH BLASPHEMY!!! But I tried it anyway to be sure, and sure enough, it sucked. That's when all this to and fro between us started and you decide to drop some small detail about his originals, like that has anything to do with the issue at hand. Puff Daddy has a lot of originals too, but does that make his duet with Jimmy Page less blasphemous? You bring up a completely moot point that has nothing to do with the argument, and THEN you start chucking your spears at me for going around it because I DON'T GIVE A SHIT ABOUT HIS ORIGINALS, AND FURTHERMORE, THEY HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH ADAGIO. My sole reason for disliking him in the first place is his rendition of Adagio, so why in the fucking hell would I give a rat's ass about his originals? I'm sure they're great and I'd probably enjoy them, but that doesn't make his rendition of Adagio less horrible.

You're not spinning this shit your way, Kevin, not this time. I didn't think anything of it when you said, "that's fine, it's your perogative". To me, at that point there was no argument, but then you start your flamethrower when you start thinking about the fact that I think someone whom you happen to like is shit. Then all of a sudden I was full of shit because I called your boy a hack, when I STILL THINK HE'S A HACK. That's what I don't understand; you think I'm going to change my mind after I suffered through the entire thing? If anything, my opinion of him is even less now than it was before.

You've done this before with other forumers, but you'll find me a little more tenacious. You can make some snide remark about not being able to read all of this but that's fine. The fact remains that you lost your shit when I called some dude a hack for ruining a beautiful classical piece of music, and you just couldn't keep it to yourself. You tried at first, then you tried to make me the bad guy by saying some shit about things that weren't even in the topic of my conversation like his originals and becoming famous.

I never type long shit like this unless I know I'm right and have a reason to stand up for myself. My guess is your response will be something along the lines of "haha another long post by DW, blah blah blah, I don't have time for this, blah blah blah".

Whatever. I don't think you're the cool-headed and laid-back hippie pothead you portray yourself to be. Go ahead and say it doesn't matter and that it's a waste of time and that I type too much. In fact, don't respond because I'll respond for you. I know exactly what you'll say anyway.

Yeah, that's another thing... I don't think DW fully understands the fact that sampling and remixing is commonplace for this style of music.

And I said
The fact is, whether you like it or not and as talented as they may be, most DJs don't write their own music and they just sample other people's stuff...that's the basis of electronic music, mostly. It's the nature of the beast and it's not necessarily a bad thing, but my problem is that they aren't creating anything new, just making it shinier.

That wasn't that long, actually. I've written MUCH longer many times before.

At least it's coherent, though. You can take it or leave it, but at least if you decide to read it you'll be able to follow what I'm saying. Resonator is just like a random word generator hitting the enter button over and over again.

In rap, borrowing of ideas such as hooks from another songs chorus or just using the beat is perfectly acceptable. In this regard, "my pals" sure are more logical than these stuck up worthless guitarist. Anyone can play rhythm guitar anyway, it's fucking easy. And any guitarist songwriter should know he's going to end up making something that sounds like a song he likes one way or another.

Anyone can play rhythm guitar? It's fucking easy?

Ahem, I beg to differ. Enter, "Blackened" by Metallica. All downstrokes, my friend...remember, all downstrokes.

I don't think I even need to bring up Meshuggah.

Wah wah wah
Well thanks for leaving me absolutely NO option to reply here. Anything I say now will be "I knew you would say that!"

All I'll say is you've made a whole lot of wrong assumptions in that post, the most laughable being that you think you can intimidate me with your "tenaciousness". Ooooh big scary Dead Winter with motorfinger typing skills.

Oh wait am I wrong in that assumption? It doesn't matter becuase I KNEW YOU WERE GONNA SAY THAT HAHAHAHAHAAHH KEVIN WINS FUCK OFF WORLD!!!!

Anyone can play rhythm guitar? It's fucking easy?

Ahem, I beg to differ. Enter, "Blackened" by Metallica. All downstrokes, my friend...remember, all downstrokes.

I don't think I even need to bring up Meshuggah.

When I gave a damn enough about metal to play it, I could do Master of Puppets downstroked, I don't think Blackened would be much harder.

As far as Meshuggah goes, I'm only discussing music here. Meshuggah isn't music.

lolwut? Intimidate you? Over the internet? :lol:

You can respond however you want, Kevin, but I see you've taken the sarcasm road instead of something genuine. I guess when all else fails, just be a smart ass and call people names!

If you'd go back over your initial posts towards me, I think you'll see that they progressively became more and more barbed, with an innocent and polite "I disagree and I'm glad I don't hear it the way you do" and then out of the blue there's this, "PROVE TO ME THAT THEY SAID THAT AND I WON'T THINK YOU'RE FULL OF SHIT!" or something crazy to that effect. Whoa there, kemosabe...back it up a bit.

When I gave a damn enough about metal to play it, I could do Master of Puppets downstroked, I don't think Blackened would be much harder.

As far as Meshuggah goes, I'm only discussing music here. Meshuggah isn't music.

Yeah Puppets isn't that hard, but Blackened is a BITCH. It's all that string skipping downstroked.