DigiPacks...

• Love'em... they represent a true collectible

Votes: 33 31.1%
  • Hate'em... their creator should be placed in a medieval torture device

Votes: 60 56.6%
  • Don't know... I am amongst the 6% of undecided voters every election season

Votes: 13 12.3%

• Total voters
I did a digipak rant on my radio show 2 weeks ago. I will upload it soon, and that will some up my feelings on them quite well!:lol:

I like DigiPacks.

1. They look cool if designed properly.
2. They don't have stupid barcode stickers to peel off.

Seriously, I HATE barcode labels that leave a sticky residue. It's the worst enemy of digipacks, so be careful when you stack up your CDs.

What I really hate is when they put stickers directly on the cardboard slip case that they sometimes put jewel cases and DVD/Blu-ray movies in. Or that stupid anti-theft magnet strip that ruined my Lost s1 DVD. I couldn't take it off without scratching the plastic slip case.

New Blind Guardian is a perfect example of this problem not going away. Would it be so difficult for Nuclear Blast to add the bonus disc with the proper album in a double jewel case? (The demo of Curse My Name is particularly noteworthy...) Anyway, I was tempted to buy both at the store today and combine them myself, but I just refuse to support this crap packaging.

C'mon Zod. You're being naive. The only reason a label would do anything would be if they thought they could get more profit. Digipaks have to be cheaper to produce. At least I'd think they'd be cheaper. They are just paper.

WRONG. Digis are about 33% more expensive to make. The printing/folding/assembly is much more involved. We just found that out for the new HW album.

Personally, if given the choice, I'd prefer to just get the jewel case packaged version. However, I am not that anal about the whole thing that I will not deny myself a CD that I really want simply due to the type of packaging that it came in. Ultimately, to me, it is about the quality of the music first and foremost and the style of packaging comes in a distant second.

Anyone have any of those collectable longform multi cd digipak boxes that were the the height of 2 cd's stuck together? They were a bit of a gimmick in the mid to late 90s. I have an Angra Holy Land one and while it looks pretty, its a complete bitch to store I can tell you.

I prefer Digipaks and Digibooks. For example, the new Blind Guardian Ltd Ed.digipak is excellent, a great collector's item. Just picked it up today at Best Buy.
You're right though, if the spindle breaks, you're screwed, you can't replace it because it is glued in. That's why I always lightly shake the digipak in the store to make sure there are no broken plastic pieces rattling around inside. I have gotten a few in the mail that were smashed pretty good, but the vendor always replaced them for me.

As for the standard jewel case, it is an inferior design that should have been extinct by now. It has many weaknesses, mainly the spindle breaking and the hinges where the plastic is thinnest. I've had a lot of them break over the years. I have so many replacement parts, I just reach for one in the stack and fix it. Finally someone has remedied the inferior jewel box by creating a plastic case called a "Super Jewel Box." I only have a few CDs in this kind of case, but it's awesome. The spindle is super strong, the hinges are huge and strong and the case actually stays snapped shut until you press in on the side to open it. For example, Guillotine's "Blood Money" CD was released this way. Anybody else pick that one up?

from a label owner - i will NEVER print any of my releases in digipacks and i haven't over the last 11 years. i absolutely hate them and like people have said they are NOT durable and if something happens in shipping and they break they are basically defective product that cannot be resold. jewel cases can be replaced. from a cost level i have heard they are cheaper, but those are ones without booklets as naturally any booklet adds to the cost. i haven't ever done much pricing research on them because i refuse to print them so it's never mattered to me.

bottom line for me i hate them.

Personally, if given the choice, I'd prefer to just get the jewel case packaged version. However, I am not that anal about the whole thing that I will not deny myself a CD that I really want simply due to the type of packaging that it came in. Ultimately, to me, it is about the quality of the music first and foremost and the style of packaging comes in a distant second.

That's understandable. To me, it's like voting. On the one hand, it's just one vote (it's just one person not buying a digipak CD). However, OTOH, if everybody who didn't like them, didn't buy (or vote for some one) them, the (candidates) labels would get the picture pretty quickly.

Anyone have any of those collectable longform multi cd digipak boxes that were the the height of 2 cd's stuck together? They were a bit of a gimmick in the mid to late 90s. I have an Angra Holy Land one and while it looks pretty, its a complete bitch to store I can tell you.

Is that the red box that came with Acoustic...And More as a bonus disc? I have it... It was nice, I kinda liked it ahha

But I don't think it has much to do with this thread.... That's a box set, not a digipack.

OK, I removed my comment when I realized I said pretty much the same thing when this discussion was started last year. It pays to read through the thread!

I'm not a fan of those "super jewel" boxes though. For some reason I find them awkward and just not attractive.

They don't fit nicely with other CDs. If those cheap plastic teeth (that hold the CD in the digi) break, you're screwed. The digi packaging is more easily damaged.

Zod

...unless you have a Sony 400 disk cd changer, where they come out of the pack, go into the jukebox and you can put the cover anywhere you want...like a box in the other end of the house.

And yeah some people stack those suckers so they can put more than 1,000 disks at their disposal.

Is that the red box that came with Acoustic...And More as a bonus disc? I have it... It was nice, I kinda liked it ahha

But I don't think it has much to do with this thread.... That's a box set, not a digipack.

I'm pretty sure you're talking about different things.

The one you're talking about is a box set:
angra1.jpg

The other one is the longform digipack:
angra2.jpg

can't stand digipacks. They might be slightly more biodegradable and that's cool but I still want the option to get a jewel case.

They might be slightly more biodegradable and that's cool but...

That should be a cool enough reason to love them in this day and age.

Is the plastic used for a jewel case recyclable? I haven't looked for the "triangle of arrows" symbol to know for sure. But if they're not, then when the day comes that the jewel case goes the way of the cassette case, why add all that plastic to your local landfill? Why not actually try to make a difference?

I hear all the complaints....I've bitched at them too, but I vote for any packaging that is recyclable...