Post your Hauls!

Grand Magus - "Wolf's Return"
VA - "Tribute To Steel - A Tribute To Warlock": this is one of the weirdest tributes I have (besides the bad Dwell Records ones). No liner notes about the band, the first song is 'Earthshaker Rock' took out of "Hellbound", no sign of being a re-recording. Volnaya Staya, Crystal Viper and Sabaton delivered as I expected (even if the choice for the latest 'Fur Immer' was a bit odd I would have expected something heavier and faster, but they pull it out greatly). CV delivered 'Mr. Gold' which is not of my favorite songs in a better way than the original IMO.

The booklet only have the songslist (and credits) plus the bands line-ups, origin and pics of them, except for Capital Sin that comes without line-up info (and their cover of 'All We Are' one of my all-time Warlock faves is so-so). Also two bands that surprised me a lot are The Mystery (GER) and Bone Shaker (USA) that delivered great covers and actually I'll look for music of them, they seemed like interesting bands to check (maybe Ravage too).

Loudness - "Lightning Strikes" sadly not as heavy as the first two albums, but still a good heavy rock album.

Saxon - "Into The Labyrinth", already known since I downloaded it couple of months ago. Not their best work, kinda like "Metalhead" a bit weak and too much blues in it, but it worth for 'Demon Sweeney Todd' and 'Valley Of The Kings'. The remake of 'Coming Home' was unnecesary and it sucks IMO, I stay with the original from "Killing Ground" (their best album of the last years).

Hey Wyv does that Crazy Night song sound familiar at all? I swear I've never heard it before! :lol:

'Crazy Nights' comes actually in "Thunder In The East", and yes the first time I listened to it sounded kind of familiar, it's a Final Stage cover?

Spirits Of The Dead - "Spirits Of The Dead": I found them requesting on MySpace it's so retro that hurts. Mix of 70's rock and stoner and prog, from Norway! I recommend people in here to check them out.

Bone Shaker - "Bang...You're Dead": great old school metal by a power trio with a female bass player, also highly recommended.

Solitude Aeturnus - Alone (great doom metal in the vein of Candlemass)
Gorguts - Obscura (hard to get in, but technical as fuck)
Grave Digger - Rheingold (awesome power metal)
Jeff Loomis - Zero Order Phase (it's JL. word.)
Metal Church - This Present Wasteland (MC can do no wrong, as always)

Can't wait for the new Atheist, Candlemass and and Novembers Doom albums!

Solitude Aeturnus - Alone (great doom metal in the vein of Candlemass)

Many would say that now Candlemass sound in the vein of Solitude Aeturnus since Robert Lowe is the vocalist of both bands :p. "Alone" was indeed a great return after 8 years from "Adagio" proving that time and line-up changes didn't stop this Texans from making good doom like they had before.

I also waiting for the new Candlemass with excitement, the last one was an ass kicker.

Hey Wyv does that Crazy Night song sound familiar at all? I swear I've never heard it before! :lol:

:lol:

Loudness - Crazy Nights

Final Stage - In the Night

They have the same riff. I noted that from the first time I listened to the FS demo and now I see that you admit that you lent it from there :heh:

Well, they're similar, not the same. They're in different keys, and the riff is played differently with different notes.

When I wrote the song I had no idea, it wasn't until we hit the studio and Glen (producer) goes "Are you guys doing a loudness cover?" - "DDDD'OOOOOOOH!"

homerdoh.jpg

Well, they're similar, not the same. They're in different keys, and the riff is played differently with different notes.

When I wrote the song I had no idea, it wasn't until we hit the studio and Glen (producer) goes "Are you guys doing a loudness cover?"

This proves how musically deaf I am, I never related both songs...of course I can't hold all songs in my head. I just listened to both versions of "In The Night" and also to "Crazy Nights" and...yes it seems somebody had Loudness in its subconscious :lol:

But it's alright, if you listen to 'One Of These Days' intro (specially the bass) and 'Children Of The Grave' there are similar too, and "Meddle" came the same year as "Master Of Reality" so who knows who get into whom mind? :saint: If Pink Floyd and Black Sabbath got into it, why not Final Stage and Loudness :p

'One Of These Days'

The Trespass song? [Editors note: if it is, FS used to cover that once upon a time]

You know, if you listen Winter (I think that was the song) on Rocka Rolla it's incredibly similar to A Passage of Dawn on Through the Mirror. I had never heard the song until after we recorded that track and Glenn pointed it out.

Amazing how us musicians get the same ideas for music composing :p

The Trespass song? [Editors note: if it is, FS used to cover that once upon a time]

No genius, I said it, it's the Pink Floyd song. BTW, I just found out there is a band called Trespass, I thought it was only a Genesis album :loco:

We are getting dangerously deranged on this thread :p

Like Diamond Head stole the whole opening riff from "Am I Evil" of an 1968 Andromeda album !!o_O

I've been listening ALOT to very early hard rockin' music lately, and I quit often get the feeling I heard some parts before, but from bands that come much later !
I guess every band or music writer has some riffs they ever heard in their head without realizing....But wit "Am I Evil" it's surely 'stolen' :p

http://www.famouderits.be/oldschool/andromeda.mp3

(there's a little silence in the beginning, so don't worry if it doesn't start up directly!)

Like Diamond Head stole the whole opening riff from "Am I Evil" of an 1968 Andromeda album !!o_O

Wow, suddenly I feel a lot better about the Loudness thing. :lol:

If that isn't a rip off I don't know what is (Oh, maybe Metallica's Sanitarium ripping off Rainbow Warrior - it's pretty obvious which song was better). :saint:

Last edited by a moderator:

I've been listening ALOT to very early hard rockin' music lately, and I quit often get the feeling I heard some parts before, but from bands that come much later !
I guess every band or music writer has some riffs they ever heard in their head without realizing....But wit "Am I Evil" it's surely 'stolen' :p

http://www.famouderits.be/oldschool/andromeda.mp3

(there's a little silence in the beginning, so don't worry if it doesn't start up directly!)

They are actually both ripping off, or rather paying tribute to Gustav Holst and his The Planets (Mars).

Last few weeks:

Enslaved - Frost
Enslaved - Eld
Enslaved - Mardraum
Enslaved - Monumension
Enslaved - Vikingligr Veldi / Hordanes Land

Immortal - Damned in Black
Immortal - Blizzard Beasts
Immortal - Pure Holocaust
Immortal - At the Heart of Winter

Ihsahn - AngL
Ihsahn - The Adversary