Pre Show Dinner?

Michael TEOF said:
okay... so since Red Lobster is not good enough for you whorebots... which restaurant you wanna go to?

Let's pick something already :) We can debate it on this forum and once we kind of agree I'll just make a general post for us all to meet... and see if I can make reservations for 10 or 20 or whatever :)

The Michael

OK, so...

What's around the venue? Scott and I are up for it, regardless, but driving back to Lansing on Friday afternoon is probably a fool's errand.

actually, Cocula is pretty average as Mexican places go, but since all Mexican places are awesome, it's pretty good. ;)

driving back to Lansing on Friday afternoon is probably a fool's errand.

How come? It doesn't involve the freeway at all, and there are a ton of back roads one can take to get there. Taking Torrence would probably be a mistake, though, as traffic on that road does get heavy in the late afternoon/early evening. I'd actually recommend going Friday instead of Saturday, because Saturday is likely to be busier for a family restaurant (at least, in my experience)... plus, Cocula isn't all that big of a place, so I doubt 30 of us at a time would be able to get a spot together... many of us would probably need to get (wait for) separate tables.

booB said:
actually, Cocula is pretty average as Mexican places go, but since all Mexican places are awesome, it's pretty good. ;)

How come? It doesn't involve the freeway at all, and there are a ton of back roads one can take to get there. Taking Torrence would probably be a mistake, though, as traffic on that road does get heavy in the late afternoon/early evening. I'd actually recommend going Friday instead of Saturday, because Saturday is likely to be busier for a family restaurant (at least, in my experience)... plus, Cocula isn't all that big of a place, so I doubt 30 of us at a time would be able to get a spot together... many of us would probably need to get (wait for) separate tables.

I'll take your word for it - you know the area better than I do. Last year Saturday's drive back from Metal Haven involving Torrence really sucked, so that's what I was basing it on. We had 25 in Cocula two years ago, IIRC.

I actually remember Cocula not being all that close to JJ Kelly's anyway. And traffic kinda sucked. So as long as the new venue isn't that much further, it could work.

But really, I agree with Michael, as long as it has these three things, I'm down:

A.) Good selection of beer/boos
B.) Large tables
C.) Close proximity

synflower said:
I actually remember Cocula not being all that close to JJ Kelly's anyway. And traffic kinda sucked. So as long as the new venue isn't that much further, it could work.

But really, I agree with Michael, as long as it has these three things, I'm down:

B.) Large tables
C.) Close proximity
And not mexican because uncle Ralf(and not Walter) with his cousin chuck wil be freeloading on me all weekend

synflower said:

B.) Large tables
C.) Close proximity

Yeah, f it. I don't care where I eat - just feed me. :headbang:

~C

Does anyone remember what was wrong with my original selection of Red Lobster anyway? I searched for restaurants in the area and Red Lobster was the closest.

Red Lobster kicks all kinds of ass. The beer selection is kind of weak... but we could get a couple bottles of wine instead. They also make nice mixed drinks.

The Michael

Michael TEOF said:
Does anyone remember what was wrong with my original selection of Red Lobster anyway? I searched for restaurants in the area and Red Lobster was the closest.

Red Lobster kicks all kinds of ass. The beer selection is kind of weak... but we could get a couple bottles of wine instead. They also make nice mixed drinks.

The Michael

I think it's because there are enough people from either coast turning up and why eat at Red Lobster when, at home, you can have real seafood? I won't eat at a Red Lobster, even though it's probably my best choice for seafood here in Michigan!

I wish I remembered the name of where we ate last year (sorry bob), but it was an Italian restaurant of sorts, not too far from JJ Kelleys.

Also, Best Western lists an Applebee's and an Olive Garden not terribly far from the hotel.

You guys can keep arguing about it, let me know where we are going. Until then I will have some chips and a brew or two that will keep me sated :kickass:

Bear

TimeStitcher said:
I wish I remembered the name of where we ate last year (sorry bob), but it was an Italian restaurant of sorts, not too far from JJ Kelleys.

I found it! It was called Leona's, and, if I remember correctly, they had a decent selection of beer and liquor... the food was great and decently priced, and they have a pretty diverse menu (I don't know if they're an "Italian" restaurant; to me, they're more like a Houlihan's type of place, but with a better selection)... the staff seemed attentive... plus, it looked like they had some sort of party room there (or, if nothing else, there's the little recessed area with tables where we ate last time, that could probably hold a shitload of us, especially if we place a reservation). To me, that place would be good for a gathering like this... that is, if anyone else is interested. I tried to find an online menu for them, but I couldn't find one.

Also, it's technically not in Lansing, but in Calumet City (which is why I had trouble finding it), but you're right, it's only about a mile or so north from J.J. Kelley's.

Whether we have a "Powerfest dinner" there or not, I plan on eating there sometime during the weekend.

http://www.leonas.com

It is a pretty counterintuitive URL, I know :)

I have been to at least one of the Leona's locations in Chicago proper. Seemed fine from what little I remember (was the first time I met my future wife's sisters, and I was a tad overwhelmed with all the non-stop talking going on). Decent pizza, IIRC. Good call.