Preparing your tracks for reamping: A Guide

I have a reamping question.

When ever I plug in my reamp box to the amplifier (this is occurs on any amp I use) there is a noticeable amount of white noise hiss that is added.

Now, for a lot of parts it isn't a big deal, but on long chuggy parts or when a chord is held out long, it can ruin some parts.

Does this happen to anyone else? I'm going out of a Hammerfall Multiface II to a Little Labs Redeye and then into the guitar amp.

Are you using a Balanced Cable between your Multiface and the Redeye?

are you using a 9v power supply to any pedals before the amp, if so use a decent one, i fell into this pickle using a shitty supply and it was awful!

Hey guys, thought I'd bring something up:

One thing I find myself constantly running into time & again is improperly tracked/exported dry tracks. I'm talking about clipping. For a dry guitar track it's completely unacceptable. You're trying to capture the playing, not the sound of your DAW's mix engine. Rounded/squared off dry tracks sound like crapola when run back out to an amp. Here's a two screenshot exaple of the right & wrong way to send out dry tracks:

THE WRONG WAY
fish1.jpg

This sounds pretty freakin' ugly when it gets to the amp due to the massive clipping.

AND THE RIGHT WAY
fish2.jpg

This one sounded beautiful.

Now, as long as you didn't throw a limiter on your DAW's input while tracking your guitar, or went into the reds, everything should be fine. Your best bet for exporting dry tracks: BYPASS YOUR DAW'S MIXER COMPLETELY so you'll just be getting the direct .wav of what you played. Now I know that Sonar & SawStudio can do it, but I can't say for certain if Cubase can. It should be a switch or a checkbox in mixdown options. If not, it just adds to the overall crappiness of that prog :p If you can't disable the mix engine, make sure to check your master fader & make sure there's no clipping going on. Shouldn't be too tough.

Anyway, hope this helps...
-0z-

do you think some of that clipping could be coming from the pickups?

just thought i'd throw that out there, because a guitar i stuck a seymour blackout in a few months ago clips now and then on DI tracks, and the levels are nowhere near hot enough to be chopping off the waveform like that

Here's my re-amping guide:

http://www.faderwear.com/guides/re-amp.html

I tried to keep it simple. It doesn't have all the fancy details you can find from this thread

i just took a look at your guide, and it seems fairly straightforward and simple, but are you sure about pushing the peaks to -3? that seems like a pretty hot signal going in...

also, i've got a quick question...i've been trying to find a re-amping method that will work better than the DI box in reverse thing, but without dropping the cash on a reamp box.

earlier today i found an audio-technica in-line impedance converter sitting around that i didn't even know i had...it has an XLR input for a low imp. mic signal, and a high-imp. 1/4" output. now to the actual question: does anyone know of any(cheap) device that will convert a balanced line level signal(which is what my mixer will be spitting out) into a balanced mic level signal? or is this where a DI box in reverse would come into plaY?

Today I`m got Radial ProRMP and made some comparison to nonreamped sound. For me best result was when signal close to 0db (normalized) because ProRMP reduce signal on 6db (loopback test). Recorded dry track does not exceed 0 db.
I`m tried ART Tube MP as reamp box before (worked OK)... but ProRMP have much less noise.

I've found giving about 4db's of headroom works just fine... especially if the signal will be hitting an OD pedal before the amp.

As for the clipping issue, it could be the pickups.... especially active ones with a low battery. I have had that issue come up before as well. Usually it's Cubase, though. :heh:

the tune i tracked was with a brand new pickup, with a brand new battery

i think the problem resulted from having the pickup height set too high...i like to set the pickups pretty high with my passives, and this is my 1st shot at using actives in 1 of my guitars

lessons learned...

I had an EMG 81 set too high in one of my guitars and got clipping. I was never sure why a song tracked with that guitar always sounded different/worse/mushy than a similar guitar with an 81 also. Recorded a DI, and with the preamp gain nowhere near clipping the incoming waveform was clipping. Lowered the pickup in steps and kept checking the DI until all was good. So EMG's advice of having your pickup height "as close as practical" is a bit misleading. Check it with a DI. Now both similar (same wood and body shape) guitars sound the same. When I got my Hellraiser, I checked both pickups by recording seperate DI's, no clipping in sight. Looks like they set it up correctly.

Or active electronics on low battery can cause clipping. I have this on my Caparison TAT (old one) equipped with boost circuity, however EMG SPC, that I have in my other guitar, acts differently - just lower signal without any clipping.

What would be good soundcard / mic preamp combination to use with Radial DI Box? Budget models :)

Something without tubes (for budget pres) to exclude any coloration.
I have Art Tube MP Studio and think that using radial DI with it is waste of money.
Maybe I`m wrong, but thinking that result will be not better than instrument input of art itself...

i just took a look at your guide, and it seems fairly straightforward and simple, but are you sure about pushing the peaks to -3? that seems like a pretty hot signal going in...

also, i've got a quick question...i've been trying to find a re-amping method that will work better than the DI box in reverse thing, but without dropping the cash on a reamp box.

earlier today i found an audio-technica in-line impedance converter sitting around that i didn't even know i had...it has an XLR input for a low imp. mic signal, and a high-imp. 1/4" output. now to the actual question: does anyone know of any(cheap) device that will convert a balanced line level signal(which is what my mixer will be spitting out) into a balanced mic level signal? or is this where a DI box in reverse would come into plaY?

Radial Pro RMP.

Something without tubes (for budget pres) to exclude any coloration.
I have Art Tube MP Studio and think that using radial DI with it is waste of money.
Maybe I`m wrong, but thinking that result will be not better than instrument input of art itself...

Yes, you're wrong. The Art sucks balls as a DI.

hi guys!
in an earlier post in this thread someone asked about using the firepods´intrument input instead of an DI,but nobody answered.
i´m curious as well about that issue.
for the next record of my band i want to record all the line-signals at home.
what i have is:

a firepod,a cheap ZECK-DI and a radial-reamp box.

so i was wondering,if i just can use the firepods instrument input.i don´t want to use the crappy DI box,or does it make any difference?!what do you think about the quality of the firepod-converters and preamps?is it enough quality for "just recording the line signal"?
and if it would be better to have a DI,would a samson-DI be good enough.i can get that one from a freind.

thank you for your help
bye,pat