Prog album to start your kids with?

I'm listening to Holographic Universe...there is some great stuff here...I think I've finally hit the wall with growling...it's starting to sound completely ridiculous to me...less part of the music and more grown men growling...oh well.

Guitar playing is stellar...clean vocals are great...nice driving tunes...good album.

Anything by Circus Maximus would work as it is very accessible. Also, I remember my dad putting on some Rush which I liked a lot.

Anything by Circus Maximus would work as it is very accessible. Also, I remember my dad putting on some Rush which I liked a lot.

Yeah, it was the same with me as well. Rush, Yes, Jethro Tull etc.

To be honest, I think if your kids become desensitized to the more extremely weird end of prog, like Anglagard or Van Der Graaf Generator etc, it shouldn't really matter what you start making them sit through. And enjoying.

Dream Theater were my first introduction, and I think the first prog I fed to my little bro... Good call by Ken on Transatlantic, that's a pretty good one, I don't think anything too heavy or growling if they're only little, don't want to scare them off of it...

If you're talking prog metal...you may as well introduce them to the top. Dream Theater's Images & Words...the epitome prog metal release & band that most others are compared to.

WORD !

Tulls - Aqualung and Thick as a Brick were highly influencial to me "back in the day" as was

Rush - Caress of Steel

as was

Kansas - Masque and Leftoverature
Crack the Sky - self titled, Animal Notes and Safety in Numbers

so I was set, ready and waiting for I&W, not sure if it came too late or was perfect timing for me, perfect timing I believe.

currently I am finding Thresholds - Dead Reckoning to be a dead reckoning

fuck that cartoon villian "vocal" crap

Then I forgot, various Savatage albums are monumental to my taste buds but maybe post Streets for kids. like Dead Winters Dead and Wake of Megellan especially. Then of course one Christmas show of Transiberian is in order.

my family and most of my friends dont enjoy my music, too much tension in it, which is a good thing, I dont have my CD's disappearing on me.

haha, my cd's are always disappearing, and ending up in my little bro's room, but I actually like it, cos he's learning bass, and I'm gonna need a bass player eventually, so hopefully he keeps getting into it... :D

As a kid I listened to a few certain bands that have since remained some of my favorites and got me into a lot of different things, notably

Bucketheadland
Symphony X - V
Gryphon - Red Queen to Gryphon three
Ozric Tentacles- waterfall cities
shawn lane and jonas hellborg
derek sherinian
Phillip Glass
and some other stuff

Might as well start from the begginning, so King Crimson - In the court of the crimson king... Simply amazing.

and one of my alltime favourites, Genesis - Lamb lies down on broadway, VERY proggy and just amazing!

Jethro Tull - Thick as a brick is of course a good choice too.

Maybe something from Camel? Any of the first 3 albums!

I'd want my kids to see the bands they like live. With me. So I'd force-feed them the good "local" proggyish bands.

Three epic wins, yeah. Anyway that would set them off in the right direction then it's up to them to avoid shitty music.

Last edited by a moderator: