Prog album to start your kids with?

well, given the course of this discussion, I repeal my earlier statement and suggest starting with Dream Theater, that way all the other bands are just more and more amazing.

well, given the course of this discussion, I repeal my earlier statement and suggest starting with Dream Theater, that way all the other bands are just more and more amazing.

That's going a bit overtop, but good point! :lol:

I think it's just best to start playing all sorts of good bands one at a time, as long as you show them the possibilities you can find in music so that they know how to look at things later on. I think that's pretty much all you can do.

anyone else notice different stages in music listening that seem to fit at one given time when others that may have prior are not ? and that this can come and go in erradic cycles ?

That, I would have to say is a matter of taste, while I've been the course and only occasionally spin mine, I've yet to see them outshined. I find the progressive bands to pretty much stand alone and as I said diversity is the beauty of the genre and it even exists within a single band, or entire recording and in some cases a single song

Images and Words was an important album...that carries a lot of weight. I'm not a huge fan by any means...really only dig Scenes From a Memory, but I feel they are hugely significant.

I didn't say it was unimportant. Just not the greatest thing since sliced bread. Musically, I think there are a lot of better albums out there.

What specifically for that year or before?

Your post gives the impression that you dismiss it. You did write "Fuck Dream Theater" earlier.

I don't think it reaches sliced bread heights either, but what for that period do you feel does?