Prog Rock

1968 the first "progg"-band was formed in sweden, is what i heard just now. Don't know if its true or not, doesnt really matter.
What i wanted to emphasize, was that Progg and Prog ar 2 different kinds of music.

splump said:
1968 the first "progg"-band was formed in sweden, is what i heard just now. Don't know if its true or not, doesnt really matter.
What i wanted to emphasize, was that Progg and Prog ar 2 different kinds of music.
But Mikael's favorite band is Camel and they're _PROG_
I listened to one of those "_PROGG_" bands Nationalteastern and it sounds like Creedence Clearwater Revival in some foreign country, which... isn't so cool. I doubt Mikael would dig this.

I picked Nationalteatern just for an example, and yeah, it was a bad one.
But hey, do all the _prog_ bands sound the same? I wouldnt think so, not by miles.

But check out Träd gräs och stenar, or some other shit. Im no expert on this, coz i hate the crap.

There are a hell of a lot of that shit recorded here in sweden you know, especially at Mellotronen (the cd-store where Mikael works sometimes).

So yeah, there is a difference between swedish progg and other prog. And i know that he likes camel, and that they are _prog_. But he is also a great fan of swedish progg.

yup, I guess Mikael is a fan of both prog and progg... bands like Paatos falling closer to the progg, for instance. Maybe neo-progg would be a fitting name. And yes, the traditional old swedish 60's (and 70's) progg usually blows, in my not-so-humble opinion. I've been at mellotronen and had a pretty extensive glance at their cds.. damn loads of progg and prog of all types.. and some metal as well.

Btw, Paatos kicks ass

and Splump is right

and now it's time for me to sleep

gnight

Kung Keno said:
I´m sorry but you guys sound so pathetic babbling about what Mike likes and doesn´t. For Gods sake get you own opinions. :p
Amen.

And as for prog, one thing I hate about being a 'prog fan' is that so many people try so hard to seem old school and tr00 by naming obscure-as-fuck 70s bands that noone knows about just so they seem to know a lot about the genre. Sure some of these bands are good, but they are no comparison to a lot of the other bands of the time... remember that in most instances prog was basically the pop of the time... you'd see prog bands achieving #1 albums on the charts. So the best prog rock was often also the music that was topping the charts, the opposite of what happens today. However, I see a lot of people assuming that the most obscure names in prog are automatically the best, when often it's just not true.

Also, a lot of people are naming Camel as a 'no-brainer' of sorts... well the fact is, the only reason most people on this board know of them is because Mikael has mentioned that he is a fan of their music. They are not the definitive prog band of the 70s, and although the DID release some damn fine music, most of their work was inferior compared to other bands of the time. There just happens to be a lot of Opeth fanboys showing how tr00 they are by naming this 'obscure' 70s band in the hopes of making their buddies jealous... well, the fact is, Camel are somewhat well known (I believe The Snow Goose got to #2 way back when), so you're only proving that you're a gullible sheep.

And on another subject... a lot of people are professing their hatred of Dream Theater here, including one absolutely hilarious comment (that King Crimson are heavier than DT)... but the fact is, they revived prog for the 90s (for good or bad), and single-handedly put prog metal on the map. Some might say Queensryche was the band that did that, but all they ever did was bring it to MTV (and I don't even agree with that... Silent Lucidity isn't much of a prog song)... and then went completely downhill. DT are still releasing quality music almost 20 years after their birth, and that's a whole lot more than most bands can say about themselves. So you might not like DT's music, and that's fair enough, but to diss them so badly when prog as we know it today wouldn't be the same without them seems very narrow-minded.

Oh, and my recommendations...

Prog Rock: Genesis, King Crimson, Emerson Lake and Palmer, IQ, Muse

Prog Metal: Rush, Queensryche, Fates Warning, Dream Theater, Ice Age, Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, Spock's Beard, Tool, Vanishing Point

And I wouldn't call The Mars Volta prog per se, but their album is phenomonal.

well, reading the posts of this thread, actually I don't see that many mentions of obscure-as-fuck prog bands...
and regarding Camel...I think many people here dig them because they read about them and their music is just so accessible. I can't imagine anyone not liking Lunar Sea and such

What the fuck is going on in this forum nowadays.
You cant say shit before anyone is one ya and flaming you for nothing.

And yeah, i think King Crimson are heavier then Dream Theater on the last album. Listen to "Happy with what you have to be happy with" and compare it to anything dream theater have done. That sound is crushing every thing dream theater ever even have remotely tried to do. Im not saying that dream theater is bad, just that their new attempts of being heavier to get more of the kids to dig them is pathetic.

Im sick and tired of the guys on this forum, not fun to hang here for a second. I miss the old days, anyway, so long. I will not set foot in here again.