ProgPower USA XIII 2012 Official Roster & dates (EXCLUSIVES added 4/17)

Normally I'd be cocky enough to shoot off my mouth, but not this time. I do like the lineup, but I just don't know... My theory has always been that the big Euro power bands are the ones that sell the tickets, and we don't have them this time. But usually when we don't have the big power bands I hate the lineup. I like this one because Glenn just happened to pick most of my favorite prog bands. But are my tastes in prog the same as the fanbase?

I am in the uncomfortable position of admitting that I don't have a clue.:Spin:

I do think it's genius to expand the roster to 14 bands though. It's easier for older fans like me to swallow the addition of more extreme bands if we're still getting 10 bands that fit the classic prog/power mold. If there had been four bands with extreme vocals in a 10-band lineup I'd be bitching up a storm. But with 14 bands, I think everyone's got plenty to find in that lineup that they'll like.

Aw, the hell with it, I've got a streak to protect, if I cop out now it'll be over. I say yes, sellout.

I do think it's genius to expand the roster to 14 bands though. It's easier for older fans like me to swallow the addition of more extreme bands if we're still getting 10 bands that fit the classic prog/power mold. If there had been four bands with extreme vocals in a 10-band lineup I'd be bitching up a storm. But with 14 bands, I think everyone's got plenty to find in that lineup that they'll like.

I agree with that for sure. It definitely seems like the most diverse lineup I've ever seen.

As to whether or not 2012 will be a sell-out, In my humble opinion Yes it will be and will sell out rather quickly, Just remember there is still the announcement for Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday.

I have this gut feeling that Thursday is going to be super special and it will pull in people from everywhere, you know something llike ................../.........., just wishful thinking on my part. I don't have a clue what Glenn will pull out of his hat next year, I mean the line-up is frigging awesome from front to rear.

I have this gut feeling that Thursday is going to be super special and it will pull in people from everywhere, you know something llike ................../.........., just wishful thinking on my part. I don't have a clue what Glenn will pull out of his hat next year, I mean the line-up is frigging awesome from front to rear.

Lest anyone think I am actually serious, I fully realize this is logistically impossible, but somehow I expect a number of people to suggest one band or the other, so I'll just put together the end-all, be-all co-headlining kick-off performance:

Ayreon - Avantasia co-headlining! :dopey:

Why do people say there are only 4 bands with "extreme" vocals? In my opinion its either 2 or 5. I think people are leaving out epica, which is odd considering they included amaranthe in the list. But in any case, I would only consider there to be two bands with heavy use of extreme vocals.

But if you're gonna say there are four, you gotta say there's five.

As an aside, of the five bands I'm looking forward to most next year, four use "extreme" vocals. And then of course, symphony x!!

Awesome lineup for sure. I'm hoping that SX does a special show (Divine Wings!). While I love em, I have seen them over a dozen times already. I feel like they need to do something special as did Evergrey this year.

I spoke with many others who were in agreement. A run of the mill set is just not that appealing at this point.

Regardless, so happy Serenity was given another shot. Anyone recall what happened with them the year that they were booked and then replaced?

Definitely very pleased with next years lineup! It is killer....

Anyone recall what happened with them the year that they were booked and then replaced?
IIRC, Glenn didn't go into detail...I believe his comment on the situation was along the lines of "If you want to see Serenity, I suggest you book a trip to Europe". Obviously (and thankfully!), something changed there.

As far as thoughts on the roster...

Sinbreed - awesome way to start the fest, their material is catchy as hell and I was hoping to see them booked.
Kingcrow - lower tier prog bands tend to be hit or miss with me for whatever reason, but Kingcrow is a definite hit.
Solution .45 - killer but unexpected, both because they're not traditional prog or power, and because Christian not wanting to tour was one of the reasons behind his departure from Scar Symmetry. I hope to hell they play "Clandestinity Now", even if it would take up 25% of their set time.
Serenity - glad to see them get a second chance, although I hope they play a song or two from "Words Untold & Dreams Unlived"...I know they've moved away from that style a bit but I loved that album when they were first announced.
Primordial - OH HELL YES! I recognized their promo picture in the opening montage of pics and was absolutely stoked. They're going to completely slay.
Redemption - I realized a couple days after the "guess the roster contest" ended that Redemption was almost surely going to be booked, and sure enough...super stoked to see them again. Part of me is surprised they're not headlining, but once I saw who was above them, it made sense...
Epica (headliner) - not particularly a fan, but they put on a good live show and got a huge reaction from most of the crowd - after six consecutive bands I'm excited about, I won't mind being able to grab a seat and relax.

Saturday:
Above Symmetry - sounds interesting, can't comment much until I listen to their album but it seemed promising.
Lanfear - sweet, "X to the Power of 10" is a killer album, looking forward to them.
Amaranthe - what I've heard hasn't grabbed me enough to want to buy the album, but they seem like a good candidate to put on a strong live show...and aside from my personal tastes, it was obvious a lot of people wanted them.
Mystic Prophecy - cool but not Earth-shattering, I enjoy their earlier material more than their last couple albums so how their set turns out is somewhat dependent on song choice.
Mayan (with special guests) - very interesting, the sample really grabbed me and I'm looking forward to diving into the album...even if Epica is touring, I would expect the combo of Epica + Mayan (+ the rest of the fest) to be a solid draw to some of the core/traditional ProgPower fan base.
Pretty Maids - totally unfamiliar with them, picked up the best-of at the insider sale.
Symphony X (headliner) - awesome, although I REALLY hope they let Glenn's sound guy run things...I think someone else already made this same comment, but their sound is usually mediocre at best and it would be nice to see them with the type of sound we had this year. It would also be cool if they vary their setlist a bit from the usual, but that's beating a dead horse...

Overall, it's a damn good and diverse lineup...I hope it leads to strong sales, because I'd like to see more lineups like this in the future.

Why do people say there are only 4 bands with "extreme" vocals? In my opinion its either 2 or 5. I think people are leaving out epica, which is odd considering they included amaranthe in the list. But in any case, I would only consider there to be two bands with heavy use of extreme vocals.

But if you're gonna say there are four, you gotta say there's five.

As an aside, of the five bands I'm looking forward to most next year, four use "extreme" vocals. And then of course, symphony x!!

You're right, that would be five bands with extreme vocals. Forgot about Epica.

baww.jpg