PROGPOWER X Predictions

Falconer--If for no other reason, my girlfriend may have Glenn's children held for ransom if they don't play.

I'd like to think Falconer has a chance (WITHOUT my needing to hold his kids for ransom, thank you. :p) because it's been a long time coming. But who knows? I can't even begin to predict who might play next year.

My wishlist persay:
Headliner is first

Friday:
Rhapsody with guest Christopher Lee
Subway to Sally
Astral Doors
Mind's Eye
Ron Jarzomebek something or another.
Captain Cutthroat

Saturday:
Falconer
Sabaton or Biomechanical
Hammers of Misfortune
Nightingale
Pharaoh
Loch Vostok

I know Glenn always manages to top the previous year's line-up, but I'm not sure how he can top this year's.

Still...

He will. :headbang:

For next year, I'm thinking one or more of these bands may make an appearance...

Delain
Darkwater
Anubis Gate
Voyager
Black Majesty
Cloudscape
Seventh Wonder
Poverty's No Crime
Six Minute Century
Demons and Wizards (let's get Hansi and Jon together on the PPUSA stage!)
Cruachan (the legendary Irish folk-metal band that's never been to the U.S.)
Vanishing Point
Serenity
Pharaoh
Suspyre
Alestorm
Astral Doors
Fates Warning (one can only hope)
Symphony X
Pain of Salvation

That's my five cents worth.

Bill

HAH! Fair enough brother!

No, it's just that i find the new nightwish chick so offensively horrific that Tarja just wins hands down. And FTR, Oceanborn is a masterpiece. Wishmaster is pretty good. Century Child and Once are both too poppy in the vocal department for my tastes. That's where i'm coming from on the Nightwish front.

+1 (Although I really didn't care for Tarja's solo album....especially the cover of Alice Cooper's 'Poison'.....???)
Annette's voice is way too commercial for a band like Nightwish. The music is still there, but the vocals lack power and intensity and it saddens me to think of the direction they are going. Her vocals are okay on the album but overall, a major disappointment. And she is even worse live. She lacks the classical sound that worked so well with the symphonic Power Metal that was old Nightwish.
Annette needs to quit Nightwish and go sing pop or country. Yeah...I said it.
But then again, who am I to judge what direction a band wants to take in their music? It was Tuomas and Marco's decision and if it is working for them as far as album sales and touring, then great. I'm not sure what the ratio is in regards to gaining fans vs losing fans vs indifferent fans, but in my case, they definitely lost a fan.

Is Glenn no longer offering us any hints? He used to give those cryptic clues years ago, like "2 returning bands, one German band, one US debut, etc". Maybe because he is announcing the roster a year early now, that's enough...?

Thursday:
Lydian Sea
Avian
Powerquest
Vanden Plas

Friday:
Bloodbound
Seventh Wonder
Suspyre
Astral Doors
Blind Guardian

Saturday:
Cloudscape
Pyramaze
Circus Maximus
Nocturnal Rites
Symphony X

Note that I have Urban doing double duty with Bloodbound and Pyramaze. :heh: Couldn't think of what he could do at the Showcase unless he gets back with Tad Morose for old times sake...?

Although I would love Evergrey, Kamelot, Pagan's Mind, Primal Fear or more returning bands, I don't see it happening. I'm not a big BG fan, but it just seems the time is right for their return...?

I'll be stunned (and happy) if Evergrey isn't one of the headliners. As for the other, Symphony X or a Kamelot seems like a good bet.

Other bands that seem like likely candidates:

Astral Doors
Suspyre
Vanden Plas
Pyramaze
Circus Maximus
Brainstorm
Sabaton

Zod

But still I think Tarja would be rather interesting - we had Epica, After Forever, I want to see another good female fronted band (assuming by now that WT won't ever play PP). Maybe Delain?

Delain would be very cool, but I'm holding out for Visions of Atlantis since they apparently just found a new vocalist.

Oh, how about Sirenia? I think that'd be great too.

If Daniel still hasn't changed his mind about coming to the US next year, maybe PoS can do a thing where they play in Sweden on camera and have a live satellite broadcast to a big screen at Center Stage? haha

I am going to throw out an oddball which will certainly make a few scratch their heads, but what the heck.....

MY DYING BRIDE

Glen is making a major (and wise in my opinion) statement with booking Amorphis. It is opening the doors for this fest to move in different directions. Power metal is not as underground in the states as it was when this fest first began (Thanks large in part to the success of this fest)

That being said, My Dying Bride, just like Amorphis, are a unique band who has altered (some might call "progress") their sound over the years without straying too far from their original formula.

Also, they get more popular with each release, esp here in the States.

They have only reached American shores once, many years ago on a short tour supporting DIO. I think the demand could be huge.

+1 (Although I really didn't care for Tarja's solo album....especially the cover of Alice Cooper's 'Poison'.....???)
Annette's voice is way too commercial for a band like Nightwish. The music is still there, but the vocals lack power and intensity and it saddens me to think of the direction they are going. Her vocals are okay on the album but overall, a major disappointment. And she is even worse live. She lacks the classical sound that worked so well with the symphonic Power Metal that was old Nightwish.
Annette needs to quit Nightwish and go sing pop or country. Yeah...I said it.
But then again, who am I to judge what direction a band wants to take in their music? It was Tuomas and Marco's decision and if it is working for them as far as album sales and touring, then great. I'm not sure what the ratio is in regards to gaining fans vs losing fans vs indifferent fans, but in my case, they definitely lost a fan.

Pretty much agreed 100%. The live stuff I saw of Annette doing the old wishmaster material was disgusting. Though I know there are a lot of people here who really enjoy her, and more power to them. I'll stop before I go into a full scale rant :lol:

I think a good oddball band would be Van Canto. Not the biggest fan of the band themselves, but they seem like they'd be awesome to experience live.

Darkwater needs to be in there somewhere

And funny I saw the PP X logo on the front page and immediately thought of the cover of Fates Warnings last studio album X.....
:heh:

I am going to throw out an oddball which will certainly make a few scratch their heads, but what the heck.....

MY DYING BRIDE

Glen is making a major (and wise in my opinion) statement with booking Amorphis. It is opening the doors for this fest to move in different directions. Power metal is not as underground in the states as it was when this fest first began (Thanks large in part to the success of this fest)

That being said, My Dying Bride, just like Amorphis, are a unique band who has altered (some might call "progress") their sound over the years without straying too far from their original formula.

Also, they get more popular with each release, esp here in the States.

They have only reached American shores once, many years ago on a short tour supporting DIO. I think the demand could be huge.

I'm surprised they haven't done a co-headline tour with Children of Bodom or a band of similar level of popularity. They could really be successful here. I'd enjoy it.

As for somebody's mention of Darkwater. I'd actually be surprised if Darkwater or Orden Ogan isn't here. Neither really seems special to me, but both have received enough love from the typical prog folks that I expect one of them to show up.