PROGPOWER X Predictions

I am going to throw out an oddball which will certainly make a few scratch their heads, but what the heck.....

MY DYING BRIDE

I think Amorphis WAY more versatile and has WAY more cross-genre appeal. I think that MDB is just too much on the death side of things vocally and musically.

I am going to throw out an oddball which will certainly make a few scratch their heads, but what the heck.....

MY DYING BRIDE
I believe the Heathen Crusade guys looked into MDB and they wanted some insane amount of money for a one off show in the U.S.

Glen is making a major (and wise in my opinion) statement with booking Amorphis. It is opening the doors for this fest to move in different directions.
I'd be interested to hear if Glenn would agree. Personally, I don't think Glenn is making any statement with Amorphis. Amorphis' music is more progressive and less aggressive than the likes of Mercenary, whose been here twice. And I don't view the selection of Amorphis much differently than the selection of Orphaned Land, whose appearance changed the direction of the festival not at all.

Zod

I'd be interested to hear if Glenn would agree. Personally, I don't think Glenn is making any statement with Amorphis.

I think the statement is in the fact that Amorphis is a headliner.
I think its a major statement to have Amorphis as a headliner for Prog Power.
(And once again, as I said before, I think it is a very wise move).

There are a lot of bands that could fit this fest which may to some would not be traditional power or prog bands.

Personally, I am surprised at how many people are predicting / wishing for bands that have appeared numerous times and / or tour fairly regularly in the states. Just my opinion.

Anyhow, looking forward to the announcement!

Personally, I am surprised at how many people are predicting / wishing for bands that have appeared numerous times and / or tour fairly regularly in the states. Just my opinion.

Anyhow, looking forward to the announcement!
I hear ya ... if it was up to me there would only be one .. perhaps two repeats at most. There's a lot of deserving bands that haven't performed yet, and I'd like to see a first timer over a band I've seen several times before, or can see several times if I so choose. Exclusivity means a lot to me.

Britt

I am sure Britt would back me on this...........

KING DIAMOND FOR PROG POWER X!

Anyhow, MDB was just merely a suggestion as a band whose sound has progressed a bit over the years, and could be something different for the fest. I can understand they might be costly.

I really hope to be able to make it someday to PP.

MDB should suck in and actually TOUR the states. While a fest appearance (and probably not PP) is most likely, I'm willing to bet that they and their management are underestimating the draw they'd have here and thus are reluctant to invest. I'd be surprised if they couldn't consistently draw a few hundred across the northeast, east coast, and midwest, and pacific northwest of the States. (And Toronto)

MDB should suck in and actually TOUR the states. While a fest appearance (and probably not PP) is most likely, I'm willing to bet that they and their management are underestimating the draw they'd have here and thus are reluctant to invest. I'd be surprised if they couldn't consistently draw a few hundred across the northeast, east coast, and midwest, and pacific northwest of the States. (And Toronto)

Not sure what you mean exactly by "suck in"
Nothing is a "sure thing" when it comes to the success of a tour.

Look at the most recent Candlemass tour.
There could not have been more than 200 tops at the show I was at.
From what I hear, other cities were the same.

A lot has to do with the complete lineup as well as promotion.

MDB could definitely make it work. I would think a festival appearance could be the way to go. Maybe by "suck in" you mean ease up on their guarantee or whatever. Flights aren't cheap, and they have a large lineup.

As for somebody's mention of Darkwater. I'd actually be surprised if Darkwater or Orden Ogan isn't here. Neither really seems special to me, but both have received enough love from the typical prog folks that I expect one of them to show up.

Dammit....I forgot about Orden Ogan. They have a huge sound, has anybody actually seen them live?

After hearing the new Venturia album, I really have to say it would be a shame if these guys don't get on the bill. Also, Cloudscape seems like an obvious choice as well to open up the fest with a real kick in the balls. :kickass: