Programmed Drums for People Who Hate Programmed Drums

Öwen;8964235 said:
For the amount of help you have received around here (I mean there's about a page worth of topics with people helping you out with Pro Tools issues alone) it seems pretty nonsensical (to me) to sell your own advice back to the people on this board for money.

Especially considering you've said you're earning over 100k a year anyway, most people who would be interested in drum programming advice are not going to be the ones on this board with proper studios, but little home setups that they've scraped money to pay for and there's that much solid, good free advice on this board anyway, why should anyone pay for yours?

I don't mean to sound totally dismissive, but it does look a bit backwards.

its not really backwards

i believe in ask and get answers
but some answers cost money, others dont

That really doesn't address anything I just said.

To me it just looks like you've realised you can capitalise on something with your name on it (we saw that cymbals idea a few months back which seems to have been dropped), which is fair enough, you've got a brand and you can sell it - well done, but I just have the feeling that this is all slightly non in keeping of the forums more altruistic nature when it comes to advice and help.

In fact, what I'm really asking, indirectly, is; is this a just a business venture to you, or do you genuinely want to help people out? Because at the moment it just looks like the former and not the latter.

I would have loved for a book about drum programming in more heavy styles to have been out about six years ago when I first got Drumkit From Hell Superior. But its been years of trial and error and watching drummers and trying to pick out certain styles and techniques. Its always a learning a process. It never hurts to have a source book dedicated to one specific sample library. I mean, I know this board does offer some help, but most of the time it gets buried unanswered, barely answered, someone who is using a totally different sample library or just other random shenanigans. So, a dedicated book without interruptions would help out a lot of people.

Öwen;8964804 said:
That really doesn't address anything I just said.

To me it just looks like you've realised you can capitalise on something with your name on it (we saw that cymbals idea a few months back which seems to have been dropped), which is fair enough, you've got a brand and you can sell it - well done, but I just have the feeling that this is all slightly non in keeping of the forums more altruistic nature when it comes to advice and help.

In fact, what I'm really asking, indirectly, is; is this a just a business venture to you, or do you genuinely want to help people out? Because at the moment it just looks like the former and not the latter.

if i just wanted to help people, i would just make a blog or something

of course its a business venture

The thing is most of the 'Metal' oriented libraries come with MIDI files so if I was a n00b I could learn from some of the best drummers in the world. Why not check out how Dirk Verbueren or Bobby Jarzombek or Gene Hoglan lays it down, and then emulate / modify that?

I wish I had that when I started out. Now I just play it in on v drums, much quicker and more realistic - which I realize not everyone has but you can get at least a pad or two pretty cheap...I wonder how many thousands of hours I spent programming ENDITOL :yuk:

Öwen;8964235 said:
For the amount of help you have received around here (I mean there's about a page worth of topics with people helping you out with Pro Tools issues alone) it seems pretty nonsensical (to me) to sell your own advice back to the people on this board for money.

Especially considering you've said you're earning over 100k a year anyway, most people who would be interested in drum programming advice are not going to be the ones on this board with proper studios, but little home setups that they've scraped money to pay for and there's that much solid, good free advice on this board anyway, why should anyone pay for yours?

I don't mean to sound totally dismissive, but it does look a bit backwards.

+1 :Smug:

Although I think this could be a good idea, what would be cooler to do, is to give out your advice, instead of making people pay for it...

Then whats the point? You can't hope to make more than a few hundred dollars out of this and you probably make that in a day anyway.

...Ask Waterboy to hook you up with Groove3.com

Also I can already see the promo youtube-video... Do you want to turn your drums from this to this?

Yea man...be the next Keny Gioia or something!
And use Pro tools for that...it will sell even more

Your irrelevant

Don't be a dick man.
If my previous post came across as me hating him or something then christ I apolagise, whatever, but it wasn't. I was just acknowledging that the drums on my latest mixes are indeed pretty gridlocked, and that I'm not the guy writing the book on realistic drum programming. The fact he pointed this out in the first place is irrelevant. The fact that I like some peace of mind that the guy writing the book I'm gonna buy is knowledgable about the subject matter has nothing to do with any like or dislike for Joey. It's just a statement as a potential customer. You get it now?