Programmed Drums for People Who Hate Programmed Drums

Joey, with all my respect, i luv u, luv your work (but don't love the bands you used to work), u know. But you should let it go. No one needs a book that tell how to write an entire drums with Snap Mode on!

lol

the book wouldnt be about that

you're missing the point.

do you know anything about pushing crashes, or laying back the kick during snare hits?

im assuming you dont, and that's the sort of stuff the book would be about. all the reason why you should buy it when i finish it. so you can learn about it from me.

Could be a good thing for some people. But I wouldnt buy it, because I am not unhappy with my drum writing. If my drum sound sucks, it´s my fault but I know how to make them better but I dont have patience to mess with some parameters. But even a really, really programed drums cant compete with a real drummer. May be really well programed and all that shit but a feeling of a real drummer is always different IMO.

actually its 100% possible to get the same results of a real drummer with drum programming

just takes a lot of time, effort, and patience (something you just said you dont have)

to make things clear, i dont think i've heard any efforts on this board that are as realistic as i am talking about.

to make things clear, i dont think i've heard any efforts on this board that are as realistic as i am talking about.

I find drum programming easy but that's cos I'm a drummer, so this may be helpful for others. The most part is just getting the velocities right (hard on right, soft on left; working your accents out. Trying to play airdrums on it helps for this if you're not sure, or tap on a desk).

TBH the whole snare-kick flamming thing is really annoying to me (unless its REALLY minimal), like on LoG Sacrament, or Paramore BNE. That's why I prefer to edit the kick separate for those spots. But SLIGHT adjustments can make it sound better, for sure.

I've only heard a couple clips that I'd consider completely realistic. Pretty much nothing I've done as Slate cannot do 'real drummer', can only do 'real drummer who's been sample replaced'. :/

Mind posting some clips of what you're getting?

I'm curious Joey, can you name a few of your recent albums that are completely programmed and a few that aren't? I mean, I'm pretty sure I know which ones are programmed (a few are pretty obvious), but there's a couple I think are and at other times don't.

I wouldn't buy it, but only because I've never bought any type of audio production book. Just not my style. Maybe that's why I never made it out of my bedroom. I do think there'd be a market for it, yes.

Edit: Actually, a fair priced (which to me would be about $5) e-book, I'd probably buy cause I've always had trouble with drum programming, and I like the idea of having a PDF type reference where I can just print out what I'd need to use.

It'd be like buying a book on how to get ultra perfect miced up guitar tones written by Scott Burns.

Is there a different Scott Burns that didn't produce one of the greatest metal albums of all time ("Arise")?

Joey, with all my respect, i luv u, luv your work (but don't love the bands you used to work), u know. But you should let it go. No one needs a book that tell how to write an entire drums with Snap Mode on!

What was that all about? you're wrong about what the book would be about, and the fact that "no one needs" if a lot of people said they'd buy it

lol

the book wouldnt be about that

you're missing the point.

do you know anything about pushing crashes, or laying back the kick during snare hits?

im assuming you dont, and that's the sort of stuff the book would be about. all the reason why you should buy it when i finish it. so you can learn about it from me.

Well, i accept! I'm assuming that you're saying about some timming techniques... like to hit the crash before grid (in a ride mode) to create a "slowment" effect...But i think the value timming details is so "Unjoey" that I cannot have expected more than i said. I believe that many other people thought it too.

By the way, i believe that would be great IF you don't write things like: "ok, now it's just o turn the snap on and later we could edit the guitar tracks to follow this shit..." hahaha

But just for curiosity, how does this idea start?

What was that all about? you're wrong about what the book would be about, and the fact that "no one needs" if a lot of people said they'd buy it

I said, that if you assume that the book will be about that, you will not to need it, even Joey would agree with that. But it's just a retoric to Joey express his motives. No big deal, no drama.

I think you will sell just some few copies and make some little money.

BUT if you do a free e-book or webpage about techniques of programming drums, pod, or whatever, people will enter your site and probably you'll become more famous, which is good for your AE business.

Think like an investment for the future.

I think you will sell just some few copies and make some little money.

BUT if you do a free e-book or webpage about techniques of programming drums, pod, or whatever, people will enter your site and probably you'll become more famous, which is good for your AE business.

Think like an investment for the future.

+1
like when Prince gave out his album for free and then sold out his whole tour , but obviously I prefer you to prince....apart from purple rain :lol:

not trying to be mean or pick on you
but doesn't your latest stuff sound really programmed?

it's pretty grid locked

yeah, it does, and im cool with that, but im not writing a book about realistic drum programming, you are ;)

For the amount of help you have received around here (I mean there's about a page worth of topics with people helping you out with Pro Tools issues alone) it seems pretty nonsensical (to me) to sell your own advice back to the people on this board for money.

Especially considering you've said you're earning over 100k a year anyway, most people who would be interested in drum programming advice are not going to be the ones on this board with proper studios, but little home setups that they've scraped money to pay for and there's that much solid, good free advice on this board anyway, why should anyone pay for yours?

I don't mean to sound totally dismissive, but it does look a bit backwards.

actually its 100% possible to get the same results of a real drummer with drum programming

just takes a lot of time, effort, and patience (something you just said you dont have)

Well this is somehow ambiguous because nowadays natural drums are quantized and compressed to fuck and even with real drummers most of them sound fake.

But till now I didnt heard nothing surprisingly natural in your drum sound. Well at least in the mixes that you posted here on the forum.
But hey I am not against you or your book but if you have such knowledge and capabilities in making a natural drum sound, post here some sound clips of the best you can do.

+1
like when Prince gave out his album for free and then sold out his whole tour , but obviously I prefer you to prince....apart from purple rain :lol:

Yeah but each ticket sold included a small surcharge that was then registered as an actual purchase of one of the cds he gave away for free

he's a fucking genius in every way

Öwen;8964235 said:
For the amount of help you have received around here (I mean there's about a page worth of topics with people helping you out with Pro Tools issues alone) it seems pretty nonsensical (to me) to sell your own advice back to the people on this board for money.

Especially considering you've said you're earning over 100k a year anyway, most people who would be interested in drum programming advice are not going to be the ones on this board with proper studios, but little home setups that they've scraped money to pay for and there's that much solid, good free advice on this board anyway, why should anyone pay for yours?

I don't mean to sound totally dismissive, but it does look a bit backwards.

I seriously have to agree 1000% to this