Question about early black metal ideology

JayKeeley said:
Yeah, good point.

At least corpse paint can be traced back to King Diamond, and in turn Alice Cooper.

It's funny because "satan" defines it all -- you can play BM music and wear corpse paint, and still not be following the BM ideology.

And by BM, I mean Bowel Movement of course. :loco:

Definitely on the KD thing; in "Lords of Chaos," they even talk about how Oystein (Euronymous) saw KD at a concert in Oslo (or maybe Bergen) in the mid-'80s and that gave him the idea for Mayhem's eventual corpsepaint.

markgugs said:
Yes, Cronos is (I believe) on record as saying they were just goofing about, but for teenagers in remote places in the cold, grim northern parts of Scandinavia, they didn't know any better (having not really been exposed to much of the Western world) and DID take them seriously.
Honestly, if you're going to ASK about things you don't have any clue about then don't make IDIOTIC assumptions like this one?

Yeah and every post in this thread so far is complete shit. Close this fucking trainwreck.

Erik said:
Honestly, if you're going to ASK about things you don't have any clue about then don't make IDIOTIC assumptions like this one?

Yeah and every post in this thread so far is complete shit. Close this fucking trainwreck.

it's not an assumption, it's a summation of direct quotes from the guys who ran Norway's underground metal 'zine, Slayer, in the '80s. Their words, not mine.

Now I'm off to burn a church, and record the timbers crackling in the fire for my black power metal album. BRB.

markgugs said:
And more importantly, since the thread is still young, Erik, why not offer some insight that would at least partially answer the question?
Because people will try to argue against it and I'm tired of people arguing against the truth, I'd rather they live in ignorance

Erik said:
No, it wasn't.

Ha ha, yes it was. Do you want me to painstakingly re-type the entire quote for the benefit of the audience? :loco:

Erik said:
Because people will try to argue against it and I'm tired of people arguing against the truth, I'd rather they live in ignorance

Well that's just arse. I'D like to know the rationale behind the ideology, or I wouldn't have asked the question/started the thread.

I mean you might be right to some extent in that noone was exactly sure in 1989 if Venom was serious about the Satanism business at all, but their supposed "ideology" had almost nothing to do with what developed in Norway... Venom wasn't very important. Musical inspiration for Mayhem in 1985, sure, but not much more.

Erik said:
I mean you might be right to some extent in that noone was exactly sure in 1989 if Venom was serious about the Satanism business at all, but their supposed "ideology" had almost nothing to do with what developed in Norway... Venom wasn't very important. Musical inspiration for Mayhem in 1985, sure, but not much more.

Ok good, see? Now we're getting somewhere. I take it back btw, the theories as to the rise of BM in Norway weren't direct quotes from the Slayer 'zine dude, they were an amalgam of interview answers from a variety of sources (including Cronos, a theologian from Oslo, and some of the early BM "scene" people). I found the pages, but fuck, it's a lot to type.

But more to the matter at hand, what IYO led to the development of the BM ideology? Simple anti-Christian beliefs? Passionate national pride stemming from pre-Christian ideals?

haha at people that took Lords of Chaos seriously. god that book was crap (though slighty entertaining when talking about all those nuts that went on HEAVY METAL shotting sprees). maybe leonardo dicaprio will play Varg in the movie.