Question for the non-native English speakers

Originally posted by Lina
Do you view the worldwide spread of English as yet another annoying example of the U.S. exporting its culture (even though we obviously aren't the only country that speaks English)?

Or do you view it more objectively -- as in, one global language will be necessary as our borders are brought down by technology and business? And English was chosen simply because U.S. businesses dominate the global market?

Does it make you angry to have to learn English? Or is it so commonplace that it's not even questioned anymore?

The worldwide spread of English is a good thing. It makes it easier to
understand eachother. People tell me that in France they refuse to
speak english to you even if you go there as a tourist...?
If I don't know French I won't understand a damn thing! I think
that's just stupid!! And that's why I don't want to go to France >:eek:P
I have to know I can be understood wherever I go.
I need communication!

In the future I see one world, with one language (maybe English) and
many accents. We'll all be able to understand eachother. This is both
a good and a bad thing. The languages are something special to me.
It's a big part of who you are, it's a big part of history.
I would hate to lose languages because of this world becoming one!

"And English was chosen simply because U.S. businesses dominate
the global market?" Huh? No? English was "chosen" because of what
happened when ENGLAND had collonies all over the world...?

I have always loved learning English, from the first time I learned what
"cat" meant! :eek:) I have always been fond of the BRITISH language.
I don't like the sound of American or Australian.
And yes, British sounds funny >:eek:P

A couple people misunderstood me when I asked if learning English makes you angry. I meant angry because you don't like the U.S. and it's yet another reminder of it -- not angry because studying sucks. ;)

Good point, Blackspirit, about Britain's imperialism being the main reason why English has become the global language. I was discussing this topic with my mom, and she made that point too. I guess I think of it in terms of American culture because it's only been in the last 10 years that English has become so widespread (in terms of nearly everyone in Scandinavia speaking it, for example) -- which coincides with the exportation of our pop culture. I think both of our points have played a role.

I love British/Irish/Scottish accents, but don't like Australian ones for some reason. (I'm assuming this won't offend anyone, since American accents have been trashed the most.) :p

Originally posted by TheMindzI

That's what she asked.. because she doesn't know :p
Anyway I don't think it's got something to do with English.. almost every language uses greek words.. that's something about CULTURE.. right Wolff? :)

You got me there :D

@Wolff: I don't know the number, but I have this dictionary that deals with the subject, and it is mentioned in the introduction that:
"This dictionary contains 4,000 in a way familiar Greek words that have been added and are still being used by the English language", that "Adding compound words the number increases even more reaching 5,500 words" and that "without estimating those that derive from specified terms that are used in sciences".
I'll let you make your own conclusions.

@TheMindzI: Ehm, we are talking about the English language you know... :p

Originally posted by TheMindzI

That's what she asked.. because she doesn't know :p
Anyway I don't think it's got something to do with English.. almost every language uses greek words.. that's something about CULTURE.. right Wolff? :)

Yeah, yeah malaka:p

Dunno, haven't counted :D

After a little more research, I read at another greek dictionary that it is estimated that 35,136 words out of the 166,724 contained at Webster's Dictionary, are greek or of greek origin.

Oh, and Wolff... 1 out of 3 words you used in your post is greek... :loco:

Siren (who's started to sound like an asshole :p )

Edit: added "it is estimated that"

I told you about 40,000 words. My greek roomate used to say that, and he did smashingly good on the verbal SAT although he couldn't string a sentence together without losing that thick Thessaloniki accent.

Ah,

English is a rather weird idiom. It can be rather annoying when you use common and vulgar words like annoying, and its very simplistic ( that is the reason is so universal because a smart monkey could learn english ) but it can also be very poetic and asome if you use some of the middle english words, i really like them and it looks more like an idiom with formal rules and everything, usually americans are not fond in synonims ( spell? ) and stick to words that become increasingly common, but if you look at lets say Opeth Lyrics or other works made by non americans or intelligent americans ( wich is rather weird to find to me ) you can find how it can be a beautiful language, easy enough to implement amazing melody lines in music but complex enough to have a very unique touch if properly spoken. English is very 2 sided to me.

Good points Misanthrope, but there's nothing wrong with simplicity too - too many synonyms can sound as a communication-camouflage when used in a vulgar way.

I love the English language, I actually think in English 10-20% of the time; I write my lyrics in English too. I don't really care about the reasons why the language is so well-spread nowadays - American poop-culture is as bad as the local pop-cultures (our Ukrainian variety stinks even more - the showbiz sharks are not strong enough, so the weakest specimens of poop survive too...
brash.gif
). Poop-cultures work best when ignored.

English will probably survive as the most probable candidate for the "global language" spot, because of its ability to effortlessly absorb words from other languages, as was already noted on this very thread. But the real global language is, of course, music. A shame not all the people are creative enough to speak it. (wah! haah!! haaa!)

D Mullholand

Originally posted by Misanthrope
English is a rather weird idiom. It can be rather annoying when you use common and vulgar words like annoying, and its very simplistic

If it bothers you so much, why not replace this vexing word with one less irksome? Freting about such matters will do nothing to deminish the aggravation you find in the lack of synonyms in the English language, but only piss off others with your galling and wearisome posts. :p

Isn't it a bit of an exaggeration to suggest that English is becoming the global language? I'd like to see the figures for the amount of English speakers in the world (even second language) versus those who speak Chinese, Spanish, Russian (many who speak as a second language), Arabic. Maybe the idea that English is so important is just another indication of the skewed "global perspective" of the American. Maybe I'm just wrong?

After all, this board is visited by native English speakers, some Scandinavians, and a smattering of Europeans (obviously all of whom speak English). It's funny to see all of these English speakers talk about how important that language is. It's not like we can get the opinion of non-English speakers who don't give a shit about learning it.

That said, there's no denying that English has become tremendously popular in the last 10 years or so, with the spread of the Internet and the end of the Cold War. I happen to think the popularity of English is due to the forcefeeding of American culture to many countries around the world, coupled with English being one of the main second languages being taught in schools.

When I say "culture", I mean the transmission of the products of American society: tv, music, movies, computer hardware and software, novels and comic books, restaurant chains, and so on.

For example, one reason the Scandinavians speak such excellent English is because of all the American tv shows and movies that are shown with subtitles rather than dubbing. They grow up with the language in the same way as young people in English speaking countries.

This doesn't have much to do with the topic, but I hate dubs! Most Americans are sooo stupid that if you say "It's subtitled" they groan and have no interest to watch it. I was going to see Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon with my friends, and I knew they were so stupid that I waited until we were in the car to tell them it's subtitled, and sure enough they groaned and complained. Is reading so hard? Plus dubs always have stupid voices and look fake.

Originally posted by Oyo
This doesn't have much to do with the topic, but I hate dubs! Most Americans are sooo stupid that if you say "It's subtitled" they groan and have no interest to watch it. I was going to see Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon with my friends, and I knew they were so stupid that I waited until we were in the car to tell them it's subtitled, and sure enough they groaned and complained. Is reading so hard? Plus dubs always have stupid voices and look fake.

i agree not totally ...
in France, we have many very good "dubbers" (i don't know the word), but we had too, dubber is a recognized profession ...and it makes a long time we have to dub your shitty americans blockbusters :), so we have the experience . I think you americans have very few movies to dub, since i think only India (but they don't export their movies, who are almost only musical comedy) and France try to resist to Hollywood, so you don't really need dubbers ...
actually i prefer watching americans actions movies in french than in english, since our dubbers are better as your actors :)
(for the intonations of the voices, things like that ... :p)

but if it isn't a movie with a big budget, it won't use the good dubbers who are too expensive, and so it will sucks ...
so all the anime, all independant movies are awful in french ...
(but most of the independant movies are not dubbed)

I'm from Chile (down in south america). I have nothing against the expansion of english and "american" culture. I'm just against calling it "american" culture. Common, Usa is not america, it may be the richest (only in money not in culture and other things) country in the continent but it's not america. Here in Chile we have another culture and it's an american culture but deifferent from the culture of the states (I know it's very influeced by it but it has a lot of autenticity too). I don't know if I explain myself well. And you call yourself americans as you were the only ones, but there are a lot of more countries in america: Peru, Bolivia, Argentina,Uruguay, Paraguay, Brazil, Venezuela, Colombia Ecuador, Mexico, Canada, Panama, Guatemala, Salvador etc etc...
and they are americans too.
I know it's not your fault because this term has been used fro many years and i don't think you will change it (people from the states are used that the others change and not them, I've seen it in many people from the states that I know personally)
well I know lots of you will go mad and will disagree with me but this is my opinion. And I want you also to know that i have nothing against the people from the states, i love you all americans (jajaja:lol: ) and i also have a lot of friends from there.
Algun otro latino que de su opinion porfavor

This just reminded me of an ancient joke...

"I watched an hour-long program on the history of the USA, and I was absolutely amazed. Words can't describe how astounded I was, it was incredible... I couldn't believe that they made it last an hour."