Racism thread.

Erik said:
no umm brown eyes both races share

but curly hair ughhh you know as well as i do that there's a difference between negro curls and middle eastern curls. don't try to complicate shit just for the sake of it, if i could find a better word than "curly" i would but negroids have really small curls.

but this is exactly my point. it's not so confined.

so in a sense, i agree with you that there are races, but merely for social reasons we have them, not as if they are defined so squarely (err?) in reality.

dorian gray said:
I see. So you're going by a post I made 42 pages back that was, "I'm not racist because there ISN'T such thing as race."? Correct? First, you took that out of context. Secondly, I didn't know that's what you were arguing. Thirdly, I was going by something I said recently, or at least thought I said, and that was that "race" is not scientifically valid. And that's what I mean when I said "there ISN'T such thing as race." I wasn't expecting an argument when I posted that or I woulda been more specific.
so what you meant was "for all practical purposes, human races do in fact exist, but for certain branches of science it is more convenient to consider this concept invalid"

don't say "there isn't such thing as race" then

Furious B said:
so in a sense, i agree with you that there are races, but merely for social reasons we have them, not as if they are defined so squarely (err?) in reality.
well if you're just going to go say "oh that's just a social construct" to everything you encounter then i think you'll find there isn't actually much at all left of your world that still "exists"

at some point you have to draw a line and say "it's more useful and conformant to reality to say that there are different races than to insist that there aren't because it's a social construct"

It's not really "practical" though. What use is "race" in an argument if it's not valid? That's my whole point. For all intents and purposes, yeah, there isn't such a thing as race.

whatever. i'm thristy and i've got to go to uni today.

fun arguing with ya though. skaal or however it is you crazy kids say it.

dorian gray said:
It's not really "practical" though. What use is "race" in an argument if it's not valid? That's my whole point. For all intents and purposes, yeah, there isn't such a thing as race.
medium-smiley-075.gif

Erik said:
at some point you have to draw a line and say "it's more useful and conformant to reality to say that there are different races than to insist that there aren't because it's a social construct"
But what's the point?

Isn't it true that people of different races have responded to certain medications differently and other similar occurances?

Certain groups of people are more susceptible to certain diseases too. "Blacks" have sickle-cell anemia and people of "Mediterranean descent" get thalassemia.

remember to put "Mediterranean descent" in quotes kids because those people aren't actually descending from the mediterranean - you're not a racist are you

See post #124.
I put those words in quotes because I've never seen the diseases in real life, only read about them in a textbook.

dorian gray said:
Certain groups of people are more susceptible to certain diseases too. "Blacks" have sickle-cell anemia and people of "Mediterranean descent" get thalassemia.

So is that not valid information that could be practically implemented in a scientific realm?

Sure. But it's more complicated than just incorporating "descent" into an assessment. Is that what you're asking? Also, I don't know of any differences in pharmacokinetics among "races". Maybe. I just don't know.

I'm just saying that the knowledge that people of different races respond differently to different things not only seems to validate the idea that there are significant and/or relevant differences between races and that this knowledge can possibly be used to better serve individual races, but of course that would require a vastly more sophisticated understanding of the differences than we currently have.

I see your point and it's a good one. I was taught that black people get sickle-cell anemia and that Jews get Tay-Sachs disease. I didnt ask any questions. My current thinking is that it's alot more complicated than that. It's sometimes not a good idea to include medicine in the sciences because most of the time medicine has no idea why something happens. Same goes for pharmacology but even more so. There's obviously something to be said about "blacks" having sickle-cell anemia but why? Because they came from Africa? But the current theory is that we all came from Africa. Where along the line of human history did a gene mutate and select for a fuck-up in just a specific number and lineage of certain blacks (for lack of a better term in this case)? I think what I'm trying to say is that for medical professionals it's good to screen certain groups (Jews, blacks, whatever) for certain diseases ONLY because we think those diseases are common only to those groups. But that's just because we have a lack of knowledge. We just assume that from obeservation. Genetic research could tell you why, where, and how.

itt erik looks rather ridiculous while arguing with dorian about something neither of them know anything about*

at least dorian managed to walk away not looking like a dumbass

*neither do i, afaik nobody in this argument has actually studied the topic