Radiohead

It did. I don't think another Kid A will be done, when they managed to incorporate different influences without losing - some of - the focus let alone another classic like OK Computer. BUT I think it's better than Hail to the Thief, so for those of you who liked this one..expect something as good or at least something that looks forward.

I dig the concept of this new album, although odds are I'll wait until the actual physical release comes out. I'm still baffled these dudes are popular. I would say it gives me hope for future generations in terms of good quality art, but nay, it must be a fluke. Fucking christ, just DIE. It's called an ALBUM, you dull cunt.

I'm not going to post every minute but.. after having badly wanted to kill - mentally unfortunately - this guy from the Guardian who obviously knows shit about music, I realized that his 'collection of songs' was for once accurate. There's no particular aim or dominant mood and this is, I think, reminiscent of Hail to the Thief. Anyway, the songs are good on their own and the Album does not particularly suffers from not being built around this unity.

By the way, I haven't been through the whole topic but don't you find it amusing that everybody focuses on the 0 to 99 (?) £ price while they are defintely going to make more money with this one than with all the previous ones? Cynical but true.

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Radiohead let its fans decide how much to pay for a digital copy of the band's latest release, "In Rainbows," and more than half of those who downloaded the album chose to pay nothing, according to a study by a consumer research firm.

Some 62 percent of the people who downloaded "In Rainbows" in a four- week period last month opted not to pay the British alt-rockers a cent. But the remaining 38 percent voluntarily paid an average of $6, according to the study by comScore Inc.

Radiohead broke with its past practice of releasing its music in CD format and through a major record label when it released its seventh studio album online itself. The biggest wrinkle was the band's decision to let fans pay as much or as little as they wanted to download a copy.

The results of the study were drawn from data gathered from a few hundred people who are part of comScore's database of 2 million computer users worldwide. The firm, which has permission to monitor the computer users' online behavior, did not provide a margin of error for the study's results.

Between Oct. 1 and Oct. 29, about 1.2 million people visited the Web site the band set up for fans to download the album, comScore said Monday. The research firm did not say how many people in its study actually bought the album.

Among U.S. residents, about 40 percent who downloaded the album paid to do so. Their average payment was $8.05, the firm said.

Some 36 percent of the fans outside the U.S. who downloaded the album opted to pay; on average, those fans paid $4.64, according to the study.

Radiohead's U.S.-based publicist said Tuesday the band had no comment on the study.

yeah, that made the news last night -- 62% grabbed it for free. (In my case, I'm going to buy it on CD anyway).

I actually like the new album, but it'll take a while as with any Radiohead. The thing that gets me though on this one is that it's really downtempo, almost lounge music (especially towards the end) and so I like it for it's calming effect. Also, if you listen closely enough, there are very subtle elements of Sigur Ros creeping in here and there...

Those statistics have been posted a few places around the 'net, and on first glance everyone seems to be thinking 'Well, shit, that backfired pretty spectacularly'... But I've read somewhere that the record cost $1m to make and put out, but the band made $4m from this voluntary payscheme in the first week of release.

1 week. $3m profit.

Not sure about the veracity of those figures, but, y'know, if they're anything like even vaguely approaching accurate - whoa.

precisely.... and that's before any kind of official hardcopy release comes out, so funds will just continue to come in from all of those sales. Sure, the band will see less from those sales, but it will still guarantee to see a shitload of copies. What I'm curious about is: how many copies of different artists' cds are downloaded the first week, as opposed to being purchased? I'm sure the amount of downloads would be larger... Even if they didn't offer this through their site, people would download it without buying anyway. I think this gave them the opportunity to get at least SOMETHING from the people that would normally pay nothing. I paid around $14, I think. I'll buy the hard copy, as well.

Listened to once. It has some good stuff. Who knows if I'll enjoy it as much as Hail to the W. but that one took a few years to fully grasp.

So have anybody heard the bonus CD - In Rainbows 2? It's pretty good as well...