Rap/Hip Hop

I saw BB King once, he had a good size band, a guitar with 6 strings for 4 fingers he had to operate simultainously with the other hand and he did some singin at the same time, other band members seemed to be up against the same odds, it was amazing :p

:heh:

to each his own :)

so how about some more funk ?

I saw BB King once, he had a good size band, a guitar with 6 strings for 4 fingers he had to operate simultainously with the other hand and he did some singin at the same time, other band members seemed to be up against the same odds, it was amazing :p

:heh:

to each his own :)

so how about some more funk ?

Oh, I'm sorry I had no idea that you were an expert on combining live turntablism with a live band without the aid of headphones or clicktrack. Please elaborate....?

Or alternatively you could give STK's post the response it deserves....? :heh:

I didnt give STK much response because I dont agree, so my response would be inappropriate for the thread.

I did find this interesting, I came across it looking for some Herbie Hancock for the funk thread. Still I would find more impressive entertainment from a drummer, Im not really big on electronica anyhow and for most of this I'd rather hear Herbie with his funk/fusion bands. But it was interesting. I have some slow/long regen reverbs I play with for one song intro, its cool to play with abit... and I scratch on my strings too... with no click track, even =}:)

Last edited by a moderator:
I didnt give STK much response because I dont agree, so my response would be inappropriate for the thread.

lol, I don't recall that ever stopping you before :p

I did find this interesting, I came across it looking for some Herbie Hancock for the funk thread. Still I would find more impressive entertainment from a drummer, Im not really big on electronica anyhow and for most of this I'd rather hear Herbie with his funk/fusion bands. But it was interesting. I have some slow/long regen reverbs I play with for one song intro, its cool to play with abit... and I scratch on my strings too... with no click track, even =}:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TN5ltss0NMA

Awesome clip, cheers. A great example of early greatness.

I'm no fan of electronic music myself, razor. :D I wish rap artists would record the same style of music, but have it mostly comprised of 'live' instruments.

I'm no fan of electronic music myself, razor. :D I wish rap artists would record the same style of music, but have it mostly comprised of 'live' instruments.

My "black box" has hip hop drum beats, I like them but you know it sounds like an electronic "box" and thats what I get from most of this stuff. It just doesnt go far enough and I will always be a soldier till the day I die for more people to start singing again, fortunantly theres enough top shelf voices out there applying their craft to some great music, more than I can dedicate money to buying, so Im good to go. :)

I do wish my buddy the drummer was a little less white sometimes and played some funkier grooves, less busy, I like it when hits are held, wait for it. But hes my time machine and thats 50% of my inspiration, I dont play long when I dont have a drummer, I dont know how other people can do it, I just lose interest.

Anyhow heres Jimi, sole creator of all modern music since classical, jazz, blues and R'nR :p Doing his 1968 version of rap, top shelf innovative guitar rhythym work, great reverse (tape fliped) solo, only unfortunante part is the overly white drum track, Mitch was great but "calm the fuck down man". Awesome clever Dylan inspired lyrics with a solid moral of the story. All recorded by Jimi and a studio man with a 4 track reel to reel... have I said lately that Jimi was fucking awesome ?

Jimi was the man. Mitch is one of my favorite drummers, though. I wouldn't like Hendrix so much without him, no question. Normally I like things to be simple in any equation, but Mitch busies it up nice IMO.

If we're talking about things which are kind-of-sort-of rap, this isn't remotely early (unless you're talking early 2000s), but I'm fond of Regina Spektor's sort of rappish parts. I wish she would go ahead and do a little organic rap EP sort of in the vein of Immortal Technique's debut. But I'm always like that... fucking obsessed with the diversity thing. I want the Pixies to do a raw, early black metal album and Varg to do a lo-fi indie dream pop record. :D

Anyway, here's Reggie's stuff.

Opposite for me with Mitch, I felt he took away from the groove by not copping one. Fire had a good groove when he stuck with it. I'll check those songs later.

But I believe Hendrix really did rap, he never really fully sang much of anything and always threw in little add lib phrases. Quite the fashion bug too, flamboyant yet somehow tastefull, no one can possible dress like that and not get accused of "copying Hendrix", nor play those double stop rhythms and not be said to have been derived from Hendrix.

One could certainly consider what Hendrix does to be "rapping" (in the sense of informal talking), but I wouldn't call it "rap" (in the sense of the music style/vocal technique). It's not as rhythmic and not very fast. I'd say it's closer to actual talking than it is to rapping. JMO, of course.

Anyway, you won't like those songs. They're ultra-simple. Unless you're interested in female vocalists.

What songs won't razor like SouthernTrendkill?

The Regina Spektor songs I posted. I mean, he might, they're sort of proggish. But he likes complex stuff and I like things that are simple. Doesn't get much more simple than 'The Consequence of Sound.' There's like four keys on that whole song, I think.

If you check 'em out, tell me what you think. I'm not such a big Regina Spektor fan anymore as I've sort of moved away from that style of music, but she still has a bunch of songs I like, including those two.

Is it, though? I got turned on to my favorite rapper in this very thread. And actually I got turned onto metal itself by a guy who was in a thrash metal band and I hear he's a rapper now. :D

Rap and metal are virtually on opposite sides of the spectrum, so it's no surprise if there isn't a lot of overlap between the fan bases. Metal is almost exclusively "organic" while rap is highly digital, metal is extensively instrumental while rap is mainly lyrical, metal often engages in unabashed fantasy while rap thrives on the pretense of reality (whether or not everybody in the genre is genuine), metal is generally technical while rap often takes more of a folkish stance on proficiency. If there's a common thread between the two genres, I'd say it's the precision in the music. Metalheads might be more likely to listen to rock or blues, but those genres largely depend on a loose swagger, while both rap and metal usually keep a strict, clean beat (even if there are tempo changes).

But what do I know? It took me 22 years to gain a basic understanding of my own music taste, let alone everybody else's!

One could certainly consider what Hendrix does to be "rapping" (in the sense of informal talking), but I wouldn't call it "rap" (in the sense of the music style/vocal technique). It's not as rhythmic and not very fast. I'd say it's closer to actual talking than it is to rapping. JMO, of course.

Anyway, you won't like those songs. They're ultra-simple. Unless you're interested in female vocalists.

Not by the use of the term rap today but as I believe I mentioned earier the term rap came from talking, "sit around and rap", "whats the rap" ect. was in common use back in at least the early 70's. I wouldnt cut the rhythm of Hendrixs vocals too short either, he was the king of smooth but yes he did actually breath, where as todays rappers are the Mitch Mitchells of spewing words.

Yes you are into some stuff I never much was, Dylan and Young, great lyricists, not so good music men, yet still admirable for their work.

Come to think of it I believe Lou Reed spoke alot of his lyrics too.

this might be the very first "rap" I heard

One of Neil Young's recent live albums has about 10 songs on it called "____ rap." :D It's mostly him talking about doing drugs and how he didn't think anyobody'd show up for the show. But if we're going to talk about talking, I'm sure that the use of talking as music goes back further than rock music. Probably further than instrumental music itself, but at least I can think of the "Talking Blues" format and spoken poetry. Also I'm not sure how far Jamaican toasting goes back.

Its all still rappin and I find songs like Hotrod Lincoln, Castles Made of Sand and Spill the Wine much more inspiring than modern rap and good singing or instrumentals even more.

Story tellin I would guess dates back to when we simply grunted at each other, not unlike some forms of metal... ROFL ! Story tellin was big in Native American culture as well as the Inuit. A few different times I read some about Native story tellin and storys, alot of Inuit stories. Thats alot of what I like about Jimis Castles and Axis songs, very clever yet straight forward at getting to the moral of the story. In Castles he used three short stories, that and Axis both feel very native American to me. Axis artwork was supposed to be Indian but Guru was the rage at that time and he got real "Indian" via misunderstanding.