Rate Last Videogame you played , write a one sentence review.

anyone played forza 4 yet?

please tell me it fucking sucks. i think im gonna break down and buy an xbox...

I really can't understand how a game like RAGE receives praise. I'd rather play Duke Nukem forever, which while it isn't the greatest of games is at least funny and fun to play(for me). RAGE on the other hand is a pile of shit with textures that load before your very eyes, a boring Fallout type of vibe that has been done to death, and a story that tries to take itself seriously yet is a total joke. When reviewers praise the game for it's "groundbreaking graphics" it makes me wonder how much they are getting paid, this game looks worse than most games put out in 2006. Behold the graphical and technical marvel that is RAGE
04c97dcf3636ec288e9ec78b71ad3c32218851998cd98e53f7b0359c64c543de5g.jpg

Blame it on Console, I fear that ID's reign is now over :(

John said the worst mistake he made with rage was to develop it for consoles, Even Doom 3 has better textures (at least less compressed...)

EDIT: John Carmack clearly specified that Doom 4 will be everything beyond what you can imagine in terms of Technical and Graphical achievements, it'll be capped at 30 fps for Consoles.
Anyway.

EDIT: OH SHIT just found this,

http://www.geforce.com/News/article...-resolution-textures-with-a-few-simple-tweaks

Tried all the fixes, been trying for 2 days thats why I delayed posting. Game looks okay from far away then up close it looks like total shit and despite all the fixes the textures still load on the spot for me. Despite all that I think it's a boring game anyway, I wish i could extract it from my steam account in physical form so I could piss and shit all over it.

AFAIK the issue isn't the textures themselves, it's the way that the engine works that takes ages to load textures.
Carmack admitted that he was quite disappointed with several aspects of the engine, specifically this texture loading issue.

AFAIK the issue isn't the textures themselves, it's the way that the engine works that takes ages to load textures.
Carmack admitted that he was quite disappointed with several aspects of the engine, specifically this texture loading issue.

So in other words, RAGE runs on an engine that instead of letting users pick settings for themselves, it tries to determine settings for the user and fucks everything up in the process. THEN even if you dig around underneath the hood and force certain settings upon the game, it still fucks everything up. There is literally no words about this game that could make me not think it's the hugest and smelliest steaming piece of turd to ever be called a game.

Maybe the engine will be better for smaller spaces areas, Culling for HUGE outdoors is hard to program, I know for a fact that ID Tech 4 had Culling problems (by that I mean that that's one of the reason as to why it ran like shit in 2004), maybe the same problem is happening now. This time it's major though.

Yeah, the big thing that Carmack was focusing on when he started developing ID tech 5 was the whole megatexture/large environment thing, so it makes sense that this is an issue.
I can imagine that it is really, really bad on consoles.
I have an extremely hard time believing that the fps mechanics are anything but exemplary though.

That´s a bummer. At first I thought Rage was just a darker Borderlands, but I got pumped after checking the gorgeous graphics and animations. Carmack is a legend, but it seems to me that this engine is his personal Daikatana.

RAGE was developed with and uses OpenGL instead of DirectX...that's why it is having so many issues, neither nVidia or AMD/ATI has bothered to keep up with OpenGL as much as DirectX in the last five or so years.

My game CTD's after the opening cut-scene, so I havent played it yet. The problem I see with it, being basically a console port, is that it doesn't even recognize the video card and tries to use the CPU software renderer, because my CPU is pegged at 100% and my GPU is @0%...which makes me think they've screwed up the auto-detect feature on the PC since they've been concentrating moreso on making it run on consoles. Now the two video card chipset developers are having to work on new drivers to get it working correctly/at all on computers due to the neglect of OpenGL...this kind of thing also happened with Chronicles of Riddick: Dark Athena, they had to write up new drivers when that came out as well.

yes, because correct me if I am wrong, he always release his engine after some times, and I don't think he could do that with Direct X because of Microsoft. (I think)

I personally think that back in the days Open GL rendered WAY faster than DX 7/8/9

Nowadays it's hard to judge since very little game are programmed in OpenGL.

Rage: So far I'll give it a solid 8/10

The environments look nice, and I'm sure with the incoming patches and mods the game will look fantastic.
It already does, and at a great framerate, much better performance than the BF3 beta.
The mechanics are classic Id, solid as fuck.
I've only got to Wellspring so I'm not very far in, but it's one of the best games I've played all year.

See the potential : http://deadendthrills.com/2011/10/viene-la-tormenta/

:D

Rage: So far I'll give it a solid 8/10

The environments look nice, and I'm sure with the incoming patches and mods the game will look fantastic.
It already does, and at a great framerate, much better performance than the BF3 beta.
The mechanics are classic Id, solid as fuck.
I've only got to Wellspring so I'm not very far in, but it's one of the best games I've played all year.

See the potential : http://deadendthrills.com/2011/10/viene-la-tormenta/

:D

I watched a few vids on YouTube of Rage and honestly, while the graphics themselves aren't that impressive, I think the art direction is great. The whole megatexture thing really makes everything unique (it made a much bigger difference than I'd ahve thought), whereas every other game is just a whole bunch of repeated things, randomised to make it look unique.
I think id's technologies in their engines will eventually be used in all games (megatextures and Doom 3's geometric lighting), but unfortunately they seem to have (twice now) been overeager to use technology on hardware that just isn't capable yet.
I'll probably pick up Rage later on, when the price dips a bit and these issues are sorted out.

also here's some gameplay vids I took.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiHnZ1HRwfw&feature=related[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with you for the most part, except I've only had 1 crash, and it wasn't even in game.

Much better game than expected, a pleasant surprise!