RC March Madness - The Elite 8 (votes needed):

I've read a few of Opeth17's reviews, and I think he does a really good job writing them. However, I'm a bit surprised that he doesn't take the lyrics into account when writing a review. I understand that some music fans just don't care about lyrics. In many genres, the lyrics are completely superfluous. And to be honest, there are bands I listen to, that I'd prefer not to know what they're saying, as it would only serve to detract from my enjoyment of the music. However, I feel lyrics can having a huge impact on the music they accompany, and to dismiss them out of hand as being of the same value as the artwork, is just nuts.

To my ear, the greatest Metal CD of all-time is "Operation: Mindcrime". And to me, there's no question, that it just wouldn't be the same without its lyrics. Would "Fade to Black" be the same if they were singing about Lars playing tennis? Would "Breaking the Law" still be a Metal anthem if the title was "Hugging my Mom"? Hey, same syllabic break down, if lyrics don’t matter, than it shouldn’t have any impact on the song.

Another example of the importance of lyrics, especially as it pertains to reviewing a CD, is having an idea of where a band is coming from. Opeth17 described Agalloch’s music “uplifting”. If that’s his personal impression, when listening to Agalloch, that’s fine. He’s certainly entitled to hold any opinion he sees fit. However, clearly the singer/lyricist of Agalloch disagrees. When he hears the music, he’s inspired to write lyrics that are anything but “uplifting”. I would hate to blind-buy a CD based on a review, where the reviewer thought the music sounded “dark” and “evil”, just to discover after purchasing the CD that the lyrics were about “raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens”.

Zod

fotmbm said:
It's all bout feeling and sometimes lyrics are highly important and sometimes not very important at all. YAY I won!!
Whoa, I think you're right.

fotmbm said:
It's all bout feeling and sometimes lyrics are highly important and sometimes not very important at all. YAY I won!!

it's like the chubby chick holding up the bar ... her ... uhm ... charisma is dependant on the amount of beers and how horny I am :loco:

I think it's important to AT LEAST discuss the theme in reviews. Is it Pagan? Is it Satanic? Is it Christian? Is it political?

I'm irritated when reviews don't discuss the theme when it's so prominent in the music. I don't know how many reviews I saw for Tourniquet that didn't once mention that the band's music was soley for the purpose of preaching the gospel.

Extol are xtians on their own time, so I chose to leave it out. It's not fair to stigmatize something when it's irrelevant. Who knows what people do on their own time? And does it matter?

Likewise when the band is NS -- the reviewer should mention it, particularly when it's obvious, but I'm not sure about Drudkh (see: Extol) -- although they do announce it on their shirts. I've never seen Drudkh lyrics. Nevertheless, don't assume that everyone is so relaxed about the subject of NS, just make it aware so the potential buyer has the option to choose.

JayKeeley said:
I'm not sure about Drudkh (see: Extol) -- although they do announce it on their shirts.

"Music for white intellectual elite." LOL!

They have a song called Sunwheel, that's a bit of a hint, isn't it?

A SUNWHEEL is a SOLAR CALENDAR and OBSERVATORY; perhaps the best known example of a Sunwheel is Stonehenge. A Sunwheel is an outdoor stone circle whose standing stones line up with the locations on the horizon of the rising and setting Sun at the times of the solstices and equinoxes.

In addition to the definition JayK posted, the sunwheel is one of the oldest and most widely spread Indo-European symbols. Please do not associate it with NS. The Swastika is also a symbol of the sun, but more of a "sun cross" than a "sun wheel."

Sumwheel.gif

Sunwheels are everywhere! I think the Navajo use it as well.

But the whole "music for white intellectual elite" sorta gives away the prize, or flourishes the rabbit, or fucks them shitz, or whatever.

One Inch Man said:
But the whole "music for white intellectual elite" sorta gives away the prize, or flourishes the rabbit, or fucks them shitz, or whatever.

Right, so the question is, should the reviewer mention the fact that Drudkh are NS? Do we segregate the shirt from the album? Is it feasible that an NS group are capable of making a non-NS album? With Graveland, NM, and Hate Forest, it's pretty clear, but Drudkh aren't so obvious about it.

The same applies with Extol. If they're Christians on their own time, should that have any bearing on the album review?

JayKeeley said:
Why don't Drudkh publish their lyrics I wonder? Or do they? Has anyone ever seen any? I'd be surprised if they're even in English...
They don't and they aren't, as far as I know anyhow. Hate Forest either. Whosits seems to be a secretive dude.

JayKeeley said:
Right, so the question is, should the reviewer mention the fact that Drudkh are NS?
Well, I sure didn't! To me it doesn't matter, I can't understand a fuckin' word Drudkh says but they are some of the most emotionally drenched growls/screams I've ever heard. If someone won't listen to them because they are NS (or at least related), that's their thing and I'm not going to flag it for them. For the same reason I'm not going to say "these dudes have short hair so you might want to avoid them."

Look, I understand that some of you find lyrics to be extremely important, but you know what is more important to me? What kind of basses, amps, and guitars they use. Or the tunings, or how it was recorded (live, lots of overdubs and punch-ins, etc.), but I don't mention that kind of stuff in my reviews either. Odds are unless I'm reviewing a Tool album, whose lyrics have truly changed my way of life, I'm not going to mention lyrics. Actually the one Tool album I reviewed I don't think I discussed the lyrics, so there you go. :loco: