RC March Madness - The Elite 8 (votes needed):

i am beginning to understand why some people cannot appreciate Maiden and other such bands ...

even at my old fart age, i'd rather go to a show and scream my lungs out to Hallowed be Thy Name than stand there with my arms folded and have a wondering look on my face amazed by some musical wankery :loco:

Opeth17 said:
You could always headbang or some other metal activity as opposed to trying out your falsettos. I think we'd all be better off that way. :tickled: Would you sing along at a Blood Red Throne show too? :loco:

not at that show ... but tired and failed miserablly at some Morbid Angel ones. :cool:

JayKeeley said:
If NAD lived anywhere near me, I think I would have walked around to his house and slapped considering the number of times I asked him to read "The Bastard" lyrics. You know, it's only a fucking concept album...plus it's an album he likes.
hahaha, I remember those days! :tickled: I did read them (you know this, Doomcifer didn't) and shit yeah they ROCK. Funny I didn't read them right away since I'm such a whore for concept albums and all.

Thrash is one genre that the lyrics were VERY important, some of the most political music I have came from thrash, Testament, Sepultura, Megadeth, etc.

Dylan of course, is godlike. His music is more spoken word with some backing accompaniment though.

To me, good lyrics are an added bonus that don't make much of a difference. I definitely prefer good lyrics, but they certainly aren't necessary.

I need one more sentence-long paragraph, okay done. :loco:

One Inch Man said:
Thrash is one genre that the lyrics were VERY important, some of the most political music I have came from thrash, Testament, Sepultura, Megadeth, etc.

agreed, but its also good to see the same dudes who sing about politics able to sing about drinking beer and headbanging. I like it at least. This is also a good way to point out why ideology is important...such as a ton of you are bush haters and such, and if a band sang "OMG 4 MORE YEARS FOR BUSH! OR WE"LL RAIL YOU STRAIGHT IN YOUR TUSH! BUSH BUSH BUSH!" you'de still support them and buy there albums? (assuming the instrumental part of the band was good)

Yeah, because 5 years ago I was severely anti-liberal Democrat but still really liked System of a Down.

True, when I first came here I was pretty right and definitely pro-American. But my bout with conservatism began about 5 years ago. :loco:

I still consider myself philosophically conservative, in that I believe Strauss, Plato, Aristotle, et. al. much more than Nietzsche and other relativists. But obviously those days for my political thoughts are out the fucking window. :Spin:

Ya know what's funny about this? The Mantle has so much clean singing, and even the whispery rough vocals are easy as hell to understand, at least to me. You'd have to try NOT to know what the fuckin guy's saying much of the time! So not reading lyrics in the case of this particular album isn't much of an excuse! As for whether the lyrics are part of the music, they're as much a part as anything else on the cd. A speech sample, a synthesized part, even an instrument, it's all part of a package! That be my $0.02 (CDN) on the issue!

Demilich said:
Ya know what's funny about this? The Mantle has so much clean singing, and even the whispery rough vocals are easy as hell to understand, at least to me. You'd have to try NOT to know what the fuckin guy's saying much of the time! So not reading lyrics in the case of this particular album isn't much of an excuse! As for whether the lyrics are part of the music, they're as much a part as anything else on the cd. A speech sample, a synthesized part, even an instrument, it's all part of a package! That be my $0.02 (CDN) on the issue!

holy crap ... Demilich is on my side :loco: :tickled: :D :headbang:

lurch70 said:
holy crap ... Demilich is on my side :loco: :tickled: :D :headbang:

I guess I am, I used to be a complete OMG WTH LYRICS R TEH WIN <3333 kinda guy, back when I listened to Opeth 24/7, and I still love me a good lyric, but the more music I listen, the less time I have to sit there and read along with all the lyrics. When you're spinning the same 7 albums all the time, it's easy to memorize the lyrics from beginning to end on each one :D