Recabinet 3.5 Released (third party IR import, stereo panning)

Recabinet 3.5.1. working great on Mountain Lion 10.8.3. for me. Shane, thank you very much for this update, been a user since verion 2.x something, but only with 3.5.1. (import IRs, dynamic control) I can drop all the alternatives and go full with Recabinet. Keep up the good work.

Awesome! Thanks!

Aside from the Kazrog LLC, I remember you dude from way back, I think it was 1997, when you managed megadeth.com and started Backmask (was there a Christina Aguilera Carcass type cover???).

I was one of the Megadeth web team from 1997-1999. My primary role was graphic design and I also did some forum moderation. It was a really fun experience and I learned a lot (I was also in college during those years.)

Around the time I first started Backmask, I did a Carcass-style ironic cover of "Genie In A Bottle." It was fun, although it could have been a lot better if I'd had any clue about production at that point.

Awesome!!! Been looking forward to this all week anyway I experienced the same kind of problem as 22km Tombstone mentioned but on version 3.1.1 , I was hoping this new update would have it solved? So apparently it is a host problem? I'm using it in reaper.

Awesome!!! Been looking forward to this all week anyway I experienced the same kind of problem as 22km Tombstone mentioned but on version 3.1.1 , I was hoping this new update would have it solved? So apparently it is a host problem? I'm using it in reaper.

It's sort of a host problem and sort of a plugin problem. Basically, hosts hog the mouse and keyboard away from plugins, usually for good reason, but sometimes it has unintended consequences.

I should have designed the UI of Recabinet 3 completely differently so that it's not so reliant upon menus, but I haven't had time to redo it - that will have to wait until Recabinet 4 (where the UI and workflow will be completely rethought.) I added the +/- buttons to Recabinet 3 early on to alleviate the problem to some degree.

The buck stops here ultimately, I take the blame for designing a UI that isn't very host-friendly (even if it saves space and allows room for the graphics I painstakingly rendered in Lightwave 3D.) :lol:

Liking the new release quite a bit. So far, the best guitars I've ever been able to get.

Shane, quick question.. been playing with it in a mix all day. One thing I've notice is off and on certain guitars, with Recab in the FX, will come in and out at random when I press play. Kind of like having a bad guitar cord that's shorting out.. Have you ever experienced this in testing? Here are my details, maybe a Reaper issue?

Win7, i7 10Gb mem
Reaper v4.32

Trying it out, I love the window when importing IRs tho, nice and big easy on the eyes! :) I've used my old settings from 3.1.1 to 3.5 tho I noticed a drop in volume/slight tonal change, are there any other changes other than the ability to import IRs and panning? Or maybe it was because of the added pan feature that sort of changed it, I was loving how it sounds with that setting. Anyways 3.5 kicks ass, thanks!

Liking the new release quite a bit. So far, the best guitars I've ever been able to get.

Shane, quick question.. been playing with it in a mix all day. One thing I've notice is off and on certain guitars, with Recab in the FX, will come in and out at random when I press play. Kind of like having a bad guitar cord that's shorting out.. Have you ever experienced this in testing? Here are my details, maybe a Reaper issue?

Win7, i7 10Gb mem
Reaper v4.32

You're running the demo I assume? The demo goes silent every 15 seconds or so...

For what it's worth, I just ran into a similar problem on Reaper (x64, Windows 7), where one particular instance of Recabinet 3.5 stopped outputting audio altogether until I replaced it with a new instance. I am running the latest pre-release version of Reaper, so maybe it's not such worthwhile info.

Edit: just ran into the same exact thing schust described; sounds like a poor quality cell phone connection with more artifacts.

For what it's worth, I just ran into a similar problem on Reaper (x64, Windows 7), where one particular instance of Recabinet 3.5 stopped outputting audio altogether until I replaced it with a new instance. I am running the latest pre-release version of Reaper, so maybe it's not such worthwhile info.

Yikes, it's actually entirely possible that the 64 bit bug fixed in version 3.5.1 on Mac may be manifesting itself (to a lesser degree) on Windows. Time to investigate, an update may also be necessary on the Windows side (if that's the case.) Sorry about this!

EDIT - I've been looking into this for a few minutes now in Reaper 4.32 (32 and 64 bit) with Recabinet 3.5 and can't seem to recreate the problem, even with 8 instances of Recabinet at 64 samples/buffer in a 96 kHz session. Any advice on getting this to break?

I can't seem to pin down any sort of pattern. Last time I think I had 3 instances going, one of which went rogue (silent) and then shortly afterward the other one started doing the static on and off sort of thing. I'm trying to recreate it in a new project and it's not so easy this time :p. It did the on and off thing for a short while but it seemed to fix itself without having to reload Recab. I'm not sure what all's relevant for bug squashing, but this last time the glitch only happened after I added a JS:Guitar/tremolo plugin on the track after Recabinet. I'll try to be extra perceptive when I work on something next.

Just got the silence thing to happen again; it only started after I put ValhallaUberMod after Recab. I made sure to tick and untick all the plugins on the track and it was indeed Recabinet that was stopping the audio signal. That said, stopping playback for a few seconds seemed to fix it. I dunno man :(.

I suppose I could compile a quick Win VST build for you guys to try based on the Mac 3.5.1 64 bit fix, it can't hurt and may help. More soon (in a few days or so.)

No, that definitely shouldn't be happening, every Recabinet release is tested extensively in Reaper and that's never been an issue that's been found. Are you running Reaper 32 or 64 bit?

I'm running 32bit Reaper on 64x Win7.

It seems as though the issue reared its head after I was tracking for awhile, so maybe a build-up of something? It hasn't happened yet in just a mixing session and hasn't happened in a render - although I've only been playing with it for a few days. It seems to happen sporadically. I have about 6 or 7 tracks with Recab. One track will just stop producing output, until I stop and press play again. At one pt i closed the entire Reaper session and reopened and that seem to helped. I'll monitor mem, etc next time it happens, but again I have 10Gb so would be surprised it that was the issue.

Im having the same issue with the menu not responding when selecting cabs, mics, etc but i dont remember that ever happening before. But its not a big deal :) I have a small suggestion for possible future updates. It would be really cool if recab would remember the last folder that it loaded ir's from. I know its not a huge thing but it would be very convenient :) Not sure if its possible for a plugin to remember paths like that though.

Im having the same issue with the menu not responding when selecting cabs, mics, etc but i dont remember that ever happening before. But its not a big deal :) I have a small suggestion for possible future updates. It would be really cool if recab would remember the last folder that it loaded ir's from. I know its not a huge thing but it would be very convenient :) Not sure if its possible for a plugin to remember paths like that though.

Sorry to hear about the issue. This is one that is likely unsolvable without a complete UI redesign, sadly...

As far as folder path memory, etc. that's very possible to do and I've been thinking about the most useful way it could be implemented. It might be cool to have it remember the last 5 paths, for example. I'm open to suggestions here.

I think even just being able to tell Recab what folder you want it to start off in would do. I'd just tell it to open my "Cab Impulses" folder and then navigate from there.

Maybe a "recently used impulses" drop down menu would be good too? If it remembered the last 5-10 (depending on screen real-estate) impulses that were loaded so you could quickly jump between them when comparing and choosing what to use?

I suppose I could compile a quick Win VST build for you guys to try based on the Mac 3.5.1 64 bit fix, it can't hurt and may help. More soon (in a few days or so.)

Shane, any more updates on this? I'd be happy to try out a WIN version of this to see if it fixes the issue.