Recent CD Acquisitions

NvmbrsDoom5

Jul 24, 2002
Chicago
www.novembersdoom.com
I picked up several cds this past weekend when we played at metalfest that I am currently enjoying and thought they were worth mentioning.....anyone else out there pick up anything good recently, either at the fest or elsewhere? I've been pretty disenchanted with most new cds I've heard lately, and would like some suggestions. Thanks!

Here's a few that I really am enjoying-

The 69 Eyes-Paris Kills (Finnish goth-metal-pop stuff. Nice to listen to while trying to relax and get work done I've found.)

Pain- Nothing Remains the Same (Hypocrisy Pete's industrial-metal project....not as good as their last one, but still better than alot of the so called industrial I run across....plus it has a hilarious video track you can play on the pc.)

Somnus- Through Creation's End (Scott gave this to me and I am really digging it. I look forward to hearing newer material from these guys n gal. More people should really give them a chance.)

thanks guys-
Larry

Originally posted by NvmbrsDoom5
...Somnus- Through Creation's End (Scott gave this to me and I am really digging it. I look forward to hearing newer material from these guys n gal. More people should really give them a chance.)...Larry

I'm really interested to hear your thoughts on these guys. I've heard nothing but good things so I just recently picked up this very album. Haven't heard it yet, but I have high expectations!

I am very much into many many different types of music, metal or otherwise. And yeah I like alot of prog stuff, so I will give Archetype a listen if I can, thanks.

As for Somnus, theyre not easily labelled, I would basically say that if you like dark doom and black metal elements mixed together, then you should give them a chance definately. They have a really good rhythm section too, in my opinion.

Lately I've been picking up more 70'-80's prog stuff. I recently purchased:

Genesis- Selling England by the Pound
Rush- Hemispheres
King Crimson- Larks Tongues in Aspic

As for metal, I've got most of what I want. Of course, there's lots of goodies coming out in the next few months like Nile, Novembers Doom, The Chasm, Dark Tranquillity, Agalloch and Myrkskog.

Originally posted by FrostGiant
Another cd is Star One-Space Music. It's by the Ayreon guy, what's his nuts, Lucassen. Sci-fi power metal. Very cool.

Oh man, I don't know if Star One is ANYTHING like Ayreon, but if it is, run away, run FAR away. Ayreon is some of the biggest pieces of rubbish I've ever heard. Some VERY misleading reviews led me to that mistake of a purchase.

No, it's not. It's alot better. I'm not much of an Ayreon fan myself but I like this. If it's like any of the Ayreon cds it would be Flight of the Migrator. More guitar and what-not on this one.

I bought that Candlemass 'Nightfall' reissue, and that's been in my player much lately. At the fest, I didn't buy much-

Mushroom River Band - Simsalabim which is good, rockin' full throttle doom rock stuff with Spice from Spiritual Beggars singing. Good album.

Sanctum - NY City Bluster - like their studio stuff, esp. the melodies the female vox have. She's got one hell of a strong voice. However, she didn't come over to the US when this was recorded, so it lacks accordingly for me as I'm not overly into the ambient/industrial stuff without the presence of much melody.

Cannibal Corpse - Gore Obsessed - had to get it cuz Neil talked about it so much when we were recording with him, and also from the stuff he played for us, it just sounded like some good death metal. Which it is.

Originally posted by chupe666
Mushroom River Band - Simsalabim which is good, rockin' full throttle doom rock stuff with Spice from Spiritual Beggars singing. Good album.

Oh man is this album kick arse! I really don't know what it is, but the Swedes just know how to make good music. And if you haven't checked out Mike Amott's 'other' band - Spiritual Beggars - you must do so now!

I picked up opeth, Blackwater Park Deluxe Edition, and My Dying Bride, The Voice of the Wretched at metalfest. The other new stuff I burned copies of was the Foo Fighters, and Remy Shand.

Other then that....This guy at metalfest gave me a CD of his band, called ORODRUIN. They are old style doom, and let me tell you, it's great. I can see this band being loved! Check them out at www.orodruin.us

How come I never get free shit? I didn't even get a copy of that band Stump's disc, where the logo was spelled out in poop. I've heard a song or two from that Orodriun, and I liked it. Very classic doom sound. I think I read about it on the Metal Maniacs board some time ago, but I didn't know they were at Metalfest. Damn it.

Recent cds: the new novembers doom, also got the new teratism and the new veneficum at metalfest. recently acquired the misery index/ commit suicide split. very brutal. New my dying bride DVD as well, very fuckin good. recommended for all fans of MDB.
Got the new destroyer 666 and mental horror, vader, dusk, mouring beloveth, skepticism, mad cow, assorted samplers, new cephalic from the guys, and some other stuff that is escaping me right now.

I picked up several cds this past weekend when we played at metalfest that I am currently enjoying and thought they were worth mentioning.....
Here's a few that I really am enjoying-

The 69 Eyes-Paris Kills (Finnish goth-metal-pop stuff. Nice to listen to while trying to relax and get work done I've found.)

Hm....don't you miss the heavy guitars on that album? It is very too much Pop-like imo!...

I know what you're saying about it lacking heavy guitars, but I really like alot of pop as well, so it doesn't bother me so much. The songs are catchy, its still got a good vibe to it. So far I am liking this one better than their last cd "Blessed Be".
I listen to death, black, power, prog, doom(basically any of the many sub-genres of metal) as well as pop, classical, jazz, southern rock, classic rock, and so on......so any suggestions you guys have for good cds, even if its non metal, is much appreciated!

currently listening to-David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust

The first winds ep is good (i'm not big on the full length however), older arcturus is really good if you dont have that. Recent stuff i'd recommend would be the new skepticism ep 'the process of farmakon.' its quite good. The live my dying bride album and DVD are both excellent as well. If you like grind (or if you dont like grind) i recommend the new rotten sound. Really good album. If you like carcass, I'd get the new impaled. good stuff there.

I know what you're saying about it lacking heavy guitars, but I really like alot of pop as well, so it doesn't bother me so much. The songs are catchy, its still got a good vibe to it. So far I am liking this one better than their last cd "Blessed Be".
I listen to death, black, power, prog, doom(basically any of the many sub-genres of metal) as well as pop, classical, jazz, southern rock, classic rock, and so on......so any suggestions you guys have for good cds, even if its non metal, is much appreciated!

currently listening to-David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust

Look, I'm new here, which has already been established...

NvmbrsDoom5, are you in the band? Everyone, quit laughing! :mad: ;) I just don't want to say anything dumb to you or anything. Ask Dreamlord, I say dumb things all the time!

But no matter, whether you are or not, check out both of Vintersorg's side projects: Havayoth and Otyg (if you haven't already). I can describe them in more detail if you'd like, but I won't just yet in case you already know about 'em...both brilliant AND different. Sometimes just what the doctor ordered.

Lets see....

Agalloch - The Mantle
Agalloch - Of Stone, Wind, and Pillor MCD
Godsend - As The Shadows Fall
Godsend - A Wayfarer's Tears

These should be in the mail here pretty soon.