Recipes

Siren

Dec 6, 2001
From what i remember we don't have a similar thread, and this one will probably die out very soon. Anyway, me being the cooking monster that i am*, i decided to post this thread for all you great chefs out there. Now you too can avoid starvation by asking a kind soul to share their (hopefully good) recipe here!

So, can anyone tell me how to make swedish meatballs? I know there's a few different recipes out there on the intranet, but i'd like a nice one, possibly coming from a real swede.

*what i mean is cookie monster. i really can't even boil an egg.

If this will be a cookie/cooking monster gathering, I'm in ;)

What I would recommend is the simple salad I made today: lettuce (iceberg)(eventually also with rocket), tomato, cucumber, egg, black olives, Dutch :)p) cheese, with a dressing of yoghurt, cider vinegar, olive oil and lime curd (with vodka!)(It's amazing curd). It was reallly nice.

[edit] Ah, but oops, you cannot boil an egg. :p Problem..

@rahvin: But of course. Anything to satiate our needs. After all, ordering take-out is a well known survival trait, as developed through centuries of darwinic evolution.

I'm also interested in italian pizza, i only know how to make greek one.

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Soup/LindaChili.htm
this chili con carne recipe is great. Actually when i cook i never follow the recipe word for word, so i cant exactly tell what i do. I usually dont measure the quantity of spices. I add whats needed by tasting. I dont use cheese and sour cream. And i put bell peppers.
With that, i usually make corn bread. If someone wants the recipe, i can type it later.

I should post my recipe of Boulettes Liégeoises (Meatballs from Liège). Only if i can find something equivalent to one of the things you need (i think its only sold in Belgium).

I recommend Pasta with a sauce of turkey and sour cream. You cut the turkey in small pieces, fry them in a pan with a little oil or butter and then you add around 300ml of solid sour cream. Spiced with paprica, pepper, salt and whatnot it makes a really tasty sauce. The only downside is the amount of fat ;)

so...i found out that the enterprise who makes sirop de liege also sells it on the internet.
Its a kind of jam made with pears, apples and dates
http://www.sirop-de-liege.com/
look for " Delice de Liege, Original" into the online shopping. Thats the thing. The problem is that you are obliged to buy min. 3 jars of it.

Here is the recipe:

Meatballs
-500g ground meat its better mixed meat: ex. beef/porc or any combination. I find beef to be too dry.
-1 onion, finely chopped
2 whole eggs
-bread crumb
-milk
-salt, pepper, and any other spices you like to add into your meat. (only if the meat isnt already seasoned)
-a little bit of flour

In one pot, mix together all the ingredients. Do not add too much mik or breadcrumb, otherwise the meat tastes funny. The breadcrumb makes the meatballs "lighter", and the mik and eggs makes it not so dry.
Roll the meatballs in the flour.
Then you can cook them with oil (i always cook with olive oil, its healthier).

Gravy
-1 or 2 onions, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons of "Sirop de Liege"
-Dark beer (it also works with pale beer, but it tastes better with a dark one)
-you can add some flour if its not thick enough.

cook for a little while the onion in some oil. They should not brown.
Add the Sirop de liege, and then the beer.
You can add beer or sirop to your taste, as long as the sauce still has a nice consistency.

The real fries from Belgium
All you need is some big potatoes and a deep fryer.

Peel the potatoes, wash them, and cut them into big slices and then into fries (or use one of those little thingies where you put your potato in and push, it comes out like nice fries). Dry them a little with some Kleenex.
Heat you fryer 170°C or 180°C. Put the fries in (but not too much at one time). Do not let the fries brown. When they are mild, take them out of the fryer. Then heat your fryer 190°C and put the fries in it for a second time. Here you should let them become brown and crispy.
Its very important to fry the fries twice, or they dont get as "soft inside but crushy outside". With deep frozen fries, do not cook them twice.

i usually make beans with that.

Enjoy your meal!

JOY.

Thank you, Siren, for this awesome idea.

I do post cooking stuff over at the Hannibal Studiolo from time to time - will get started by pasting here something I wrote a while ago.

The rabbit recipe in question, for 4 people assuming that the rabbit is not a huge one:

Clean and gut a rabbit, then cut it in medium-sized pieces weighing approximately 70 to 100 grams each. Proceed to marinate it in white wine (in my case, it was Vermentino di Sardegna) for at least one hour and a half. Add sage and rosemary to the wine for aromatic effect, and add salt at will, directly on the meat. Note: to have effective results over such a short time span, the wine should cover the rabbit pieces completely. If you'd rather use less wine, marinating time should be longer, approx. 5-6 hours.

While the rabbit marinates, prepare 350-400cl of broth, either vegetable-based or meat-based depending on your taste. Then place around 200 grams of dried Porcini mushrooms in warm water so as to rehydrate them.

Now it's time to prepare the soffritto, i.e. the base for cooking. Pour 2 tablespoons of Extra Vergine olive oil in the pan, then add 7-8 finely chopped onions and about 150 grams of lard. Ideally, you should use scalogno, a specific variety of onions: they are very small in size and of a reddish color. However, if you don't have any, regular white onions will do. The lard should be lardo di Piacenza, cut in very thin stripes. Sautée the mix until the onions turn golden.

Add the rabbit to the soffritto, keep the fire under the pan high, and keep on turning the pieces of meat in the pan until they acquire color on all sides. To keep the rabbit from burning, gradually add the wine where it was marinated. When you run out of wine, add the mushrooms with their water, all the while turning the pieces of rabbit. Both the wine and the mushroom water should evaporate quite quickly, and this phase should not last more than 20 minutes. Add broth with a small ladle once; when the broth is evaporated too add one more ladle, set the fire to low and cover. Leave to cook for approximately 50 minutes, adding small quantities of broth whenever necessary. If you want a thicker sauce, add flour, although I really don't like this option (gives unnecessary heaviness to the dish). You can also add dried tomatoes, if you like.

After 50 minutes, uncover, add another ladle of broth, and set the fire on high again. Add 100-150 grams of black olives, possibly olive di gaeta. Stir for 4-5 minutes, then you're done (note: olives can be added before too, depending on how cooked you like them. Basically, this depends on the type of olive). Serve with a small side dish of boiled carrots, if you have the same silly sense of humor that I have. Otherwise, pick an equally mild vegetable.

Wine: rabbit can be had with both red and white, in my opinion. It depends on how it's done. Fruit-based rabbit dishes such as coniglio alle prugne, which is very popular in the region of Liguria in North-Western italy, should be had with white, much like rabbit dishes featuring lemon sauce. The specific recipe reported above is probably more of a red wine thing, due to the lard and the mushrooms, although I wouldn't cringe in horror if it was served with a structured white like, say, Santagostino di Baglio Soria or maybe a Condrieu. At any rate, we had a Shiraz Casale del Giglio with it, kindly presented to me by one of the invitees. I'm not a big Shiraz (or Syrah, depending on where you live) fan, but I must admit that the specific bottle was pretty amazing.

Hyena: I am very impressed. Do you cook like that often? I suppose that is a lot of work for a typical meal (at least in my experience). It seems italians live up to their culinary reputation. :)

I have a few American recipes I may indulge if I get around to transcribing. Too busy procrastinating...

I'd like to see Michael Nicklasson post some of his recipes. :)

I'd like to see Michael Nicklasson post some of his recipes. :)
I second that. :kickass:

edit: Thanks everyone for your contribution, it was much better than i expected. :) I'll post some greek recipes soon, if there's any specific requests feel free to ask.

Hyena: I am very impressed. Do you cook like that often? I suppose that is a lot of work for a typical meal (at least in my experience). It seems italians live up to their culinary reputation. :)

I cook with a modicum of dedication whenever I can, which unfortunately is more or less confined to weekends. It's not really a lot of work tho, at least not in my perspective: I find it relaxing, I let my mind wander while going through the motions.

I cook with a modicum of dedication whenever I can, which unfortunately is more or less confined to weekends. It's not really a lot of work tho, at least not in my perspective: I find it relaxing, I let my mind wander while going through the motions.
Well, I really respect a good cook because I love food (*Fat Kid Alert!*), and I've watched/read a lot about cooking and flavors etc. (I used to want to be a chef). I found the recipe interesting because rabbit is far less common over here in the States, and the attention to nuance was very pronounced. Cuisine in the US is really as bad as it sounds, sometimes, and is dictated by time. Even the shows on local TV (local flavors, if that wasn't inherently obvious), much less national TV (catering to America as a whole), require the recipes to be complete in thirty minutes, give or take. Unless, of course, it requires baking - a completely different animal.

I like to cook for the same reason - I enjoy it. Any regional favorites you could recommend?

And a general question: anyone know any good Norwegian/Swedish (other than meatballs LOLZ)/Finnish dishes? I have to do a report on those countries for my Cooking class :p.

Waterworks in Philadelphia.

No, you can't get in. I had a lunch there, and - oh my, what an octopus they have there.... cheap as fuck (the place IS expensive), huge portion... just an appetizer though.

I'd have 2... or 3. Perfect with Hoegaarden... I think.