RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
phoenix rising is DEFINITELY the best place to start. unchain the wolves is ultimately the most rewarding. but, d666 being like the best band to have ever come from aus, deserves all your attention.

taking nothing away from mortal sin that is.

Evil? said:
Yes, that I know. Yuck. When a black metal band is getting regular rotation on MTV2 something is amiss. I really like what I have heard of the old stuff though.

If you're looking for stuff that's on par(both sound-wise and quality-wise) with Satyricon's first three albums. check out the band Kvist and their lone LP- For Kunsten Maa Vi Evig Vike

Necuratul said:
Also, though I'm unfamiliar with the latest, I did enjoy Volcano. It's clearly not Black Metal, but that doesn't mean it's bad.

Indeed. "Volcano" and "Now, Diabolical" are enjoyable, hard-hitting, hateful albums that are some of Satyricon's most angry albums to date.

I'm wanting to get into some of Bathory's viking metal stuff (no classic black metal or thrash, please); other than "Hammerheart", what are good albums by them?

Necuratul said:
Also, though I'm unfamiliar with the latest, I did enjoy Volcano. It's clearly not Black Metal, but that doesn't mean it's bad.

i can appreciate the two latest albums for what they try to be but they never quite make it for me. theres some cool stuff within songs but also some dragged out moments which kill my interest. i know that people would bitch if they did but i think that if satyr went even more accessible this new approach would rock. things get a little abrasive/ at times for what id prefer to hear. its easier to listen to a track here and there than the whole album at once i think.

Could anyone recommend me some black metal similar to any of these four bands:

Belenos
Mystic Forest
The Eye
Alcest

Ex-cally-boo said:
Could anyone recommend me some black metal similar to any of these four bands:

Belenos
Mystic Forest
The Eye
Alcest

Defaillance and Celestia but you have probably already heard them.

I am looking for old school Swedish death metal with that super distorted sound.

old Entombed
old Dismember
Carnage
Grave
Wombath
Nirvana 2002
God Macabre
Bloodbath
Ribspreader
Fleshcrawl (not Swedish, but have the sound)
Horrid (not Swedish, but have the sound)

What am I missing? I'm looking for bands with that sound, not just old school death metal from Sweden. Seance, Necrophobic, old Unleashed, Unanimated are great, but that's not what I'm asking about. I think you know what I mean.

Life Sucks said:
I am looking for old school Swedish death metal with that super distorted sound.

old Entombed
old Dismember
Carnage
Grave
Wombath
Nirvana 2002
God Macabre
Bloodbath
Ribspreader

What am I missing? I'm looking for bands with that sound, not just old school death metal from Sweden. Seance, Necrophobic, old Unleashed, Unanimated are great, but that's not what I'm asking about. I think you know what I mean.

I would try to help you, but I'm not understanding how Necrophobic and Unleashed are not fitting into the mix, so I'm not exactly sure what you're after.

Life Sucks said:

old Entombed
old Dismember
Carnage
Grave
Wombath
Nirvana 2002
God Macabre
Bloodbath
Ribspreader

You'll probably like these:

Authorize - The Source of Dominion
Dominus - View to the Dim
Goddefied - Abysmal Grief
Megaslaughter - Calls from the Beyond
Mordicus - Dances From Left
Mythos - Pain Amplifier
Necrony - Pathological Performances
Sororicide - The Entity

Status
Not open for further replies.