RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
please reccomend some bands for me. i like brutal death with melody like intestine baalism, kronos, vehemence, the forsaken, arsis, theory in practice, quo vadis, martyr. any suggestions?

shit, indeed. you like Unearth but Dillinger is "too haardcowerzzz"?
Unearth has much more melody, solos, feel, and overall metal content than DEP, imo. Oh Yeah....AND they are not a freak-out band...
I enjoy a wide range of music
prolly not, i bet.
Ummm.........yes. Check my avatar. I also listen to some classical, prog, alt-rock, and FYI I used to listen to mostly underground rap... not anymore though :Smug:

"some" "classical", "prog", and "alt-rock" (nobody's used that term in 10 years) hardly = a "wide range".

last 11 things i downloaded/another rec's list:

luc ferarri - interrupteur/tautologos (1970)
spanky wilson and the quantic soul orchestra - i'm thankful (2006)
pat metheny & jaco pastorius - bright size life (1976)
eric bachman - to the races (2006)
nusrat fateh ali khan - shahen shah (1988)
explosions in the sky - how strange, innocence (2000)
will oldham - peel sessions (2001/2002)
rufus wainwright - live at club soda (1996)
scott h. biram - graveyard shift (2006)
the vandermark 5 - burn the incline (1999)
trevor dunn's trio convulsant - sister phantom owl fish (2004)

oh, and my point mainly is that Unearth is pathetically generic and artistically inferior to DEP in every conceivable way.

mainly.

also

"freak out" music is a term used by people who don't understand real art.

not to be an ass or anything, but... whatever.

What about the possibility that bands like Unearth, God Forbid, As I Lay Dying, etc. are hardly -core at all? I mean seriously, why are they "metalcore"? Because they use shouting vocals? Is that the only reason? In that case, I've heard Talking Head songs that are metalcore. I would consider most of these bands that musically mix groove/thrash metal with Gothenburg death/thrash and shouting vocals basic "jock" metal - which isn't a genre in itself, but a term that could be used to describe simplistic, low brow heavy metal. Other examples of "jock metal" from other genres would include Manowar, Exodus, and Six Feet Under.

What about the possibility that bands like Unearth, God Forbid, As I Lay Dying, etc. are hardly -core at all? I mean seriously, why are they "metalcore"? Because they use shouting vocals? Is that the only reason? In that case, I've heard Talking Head songs that are metalcore. I would consider most of these bands that musically mix groove/thrash metal with Gothenburg death/thrash and shouting vocals basic "jock" metal - which isn't a genre in itself, but a term that could be used to describe simplistic, low brow heavy metal. Other examples of "jock metal" from other genres would include Manowar, Exodus, and Six Feet Under.

Those bands have obvious hardcore style riffs rythmn and breakdowns.

What about the possibility...

good post.

"metal" people don't usually know what "hardcore" is, they just know what "metalcore" is, and usually very generic "metalcore" which is mostly just "metal" with breakdowns, which skews any opinions they may have.

actually most "breakdowns", what has typically become known as a "breakdown", is just a "pantera groove riff".

honestly.

oh, and my point mainly is that Unearth is pathetically generic and artistically inferior to DEP in every conceivable way.

mainly.

also

"freak out" music is a term used by people who don't understand real art.

not to be an ass or anything, but... whatever.

What have you heard from Unearth anyway. It would be ridiculous To make a statement like this, therefore I hope you are joking....

And I just madeup the term freak-out music to describe the harsh screaming and frantic time sig changes and shit...

Btw, youwannaplayrough??

Here is some stuff I recently aquired:

Mozart - Requiem - Karl Bohm recording
Bauhaus - In the Flat Field
Sisters of Mercy - Floodland
Eric Johnson - Venus Isle
Funeral - Tragedies
Aria - Aria 1
Hawkwind - Chronicles of the Black Sword
Bolt Thrower - Those once loyal
Flasket Brinner - s/t
Arcturus - Sideshow Symphonies
Abigor - Supreme Immortal Art

What have you heard from Unearth anyway. It would be ridiculous To make a statement like this, therefore I hope you are joking....

i, by this point, have probably heard every song on every album 5 or 6 times, enough to know exactly what they are capable of... i do have "friends" with less sophisticated tastes than i, and they tend to only own a few CDs, and play them often... i've heard them enough to know that i'm not "missing" anything... i've listened to them as much as i listen to any bad band that i dislike.

they are absolutely, utterly, undeniably, irrefutably, all-encompassingly worse than the dillinger escape plan by each and every imaginable meaning of "better" and "worse", except that they are much "better" at selling albums to meatheads.

rly.

Reactions: Satanstoenail
"metal" people don't usually know what "hardcore" is, they just know what "metalcore" is, and usually very generic "metalcore" which is mostly just "metal" with breakdowns, which skews any opinions they may have.

actually most "breakdowns", what has typically become known as a "breakdown", is just a "pantera groove riff".

honestly.

Indeed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-lxwlgyhhA

dillinger pwns metal bands @ "crowd control"

for anyone who didn't watch this the first time i posted it...

one of the most "jesus h. fucking christ that's hard" moments i've ever witnessed... listen for the cameraman saying about as much...

edit: and compare to Unearth standing around sucking. watch for hilarious cutscenes of fat/little kids doing spin kicks and both guitarists pulling off their best "80s shredfag" stage moves. all i'm saying is i've never seen a single fucking ninja dancer at a DEP show.

good post.

honestly.

Are you referring to old 80s hardcore or new hardcore?

Status
Not open for further replies.