RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've only listened to Turn Loose the Swans at great length. None of the others really appealled to me in the short listens I gave them. It is very despondent and has a heavy feel to it. So that should do the trick.

As The Flower Withers shits on everything else they've done. At least with full-lengths. Solid Death Doom.

Alright, somebody recommend me some good US Power Metal bands. I like (old) Iced Earth and Jag Panzer. My general knowledge when it comes to US power metal is lacking.

I know Dodens has mentioned something about US Power Metal in general...give me some recs.

Abattoir
Agent Steel
Arctic Flame
Attacker
Axemaster
Cauldron Born
Cities
Deadly Blessing
Destiny's End
Distant Thunder
Exxplorer
Fates Warning
Fifth Angel
Gargoyle
Gothic Knights
Hammerwitch
Heathen's Rage
Heir Apparent
Helstar
Hexx
Ignitor
Iron Cross
Kryst The Conqueror
LIEGE LORD
Lizzy Borden
Magus Beast
Malakis Reign
Malice
Manilla Road (though that's really pigeonholing...)
Manowar
Medieval
Medieval Steel
Meliah Rage
Metal FUCKING Church
Mystik
Nasty Savage
Nightcrawler
Obsession
Onward
Original Sin
OVERLORDE
Ravage
Raven Bitch
Realm
Reverend
Riot
Ritual
S. A. Slayer
Sanctuary
Satan's Host
Savage Grace
Savatage
Seven Witches
Slauter Xstroyes
Titan Force
Villan

Ahh, thanks! :D Alot of those bands I always considered just heavy metal since they were around before power metal was a term. Helstar, Heir Apparent, Metal Church are definately good bands. I also got into Onward when I saw them play live right after Reawaken came out. Toby Knapp is a fucking killer guitarist!

I'll check some of those others out as I have time, hehe.

MetalNub said:
Hey everyone...so i'm sorta new to the whole "extreme" metal scene but i've really gotten into Cryptopsy. According to wikipedia they are considered technical death metal and had a whole listing of recommended bands. I was wondering what you guys would recommend.

ah! I just read the whole fucking thread!

Cephalectomy is another death/grind band a bit like Cryptopsy from eastern Canada with a bit of a black metal atmosphere in the back, they are also technical.

there is also a lot of technical death metal bands from Québec like:

Martyr
Neuraxis
Gorguts
Augury
Quo Vadis
Beneath the Massacre
Atheretic

and if you don't mind metalcore sound incorporate to your metal:

Ion Dissonance
Despised Icon

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

and for those who like weird avant garde/experimental music Unexpect are really awesome, they're a sort of prog/death/black/folk/classical/etc mix. They have some mp3 here:

http://www.myspace.com/unexpect

Cephalectomy fucking rocks. Cheers for the mention.

Welcome to the board; perhaps you can be one of the few good posters we have.

Do all of you metal-wise people spend more time listening to confirmed bands that you like or chasing down new stuff?

I always seem to be looking for something new, and thus never gaining much knowledge on any particular bands. I feel that my nerd levels are un-satisfactory, it keeps me up at night.

Been an avid downloader for the past few years. Past few months I haven't really heard anything new (except for a pile of BM promos), I've just been spending time with bands and albums I never really gave a fair chance upon first hearing. It's good to do that every few months.

Status
Not open for further replies.