RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've just recently gotten into Daylight Dies. Great Melodic Death/Doom. So my question, what album should I get first No Reply or Dismantling Devotion?

anybody wanna tell me any good, unique thrash metal??

preferably mid-pace - or at least original/unique in some way

Anacrusis (first two albums) - First album is dark and heavy late 80s thrash with a really distinct feel to it, second album is still thrashy with more progressive touches and a bit more technical. Their last two albums are more progressive and out there but awesome even so. They actually put all four of their albums up on a website, including demos and live stuff, to download for free: Anacrusis Home Page Enjoy!

I second the recommendations for Heathen (quite a bit melodic but still ferocious!) and Sabbat (UK) (the single greatest thrash band of all time, there are no words to describe their first two albums, they must be heard to be believed). You may also want to try out the thrash/crossover/doom/totally un PC Carnivore and the jazzy thrash of Vendetta (second album, "Brain Damage" especially).

Can anyone recommend me...a good place to buy metal cd's online, preferably UK based? HMV and Virgin only stock so much...

As long as you're not going too underground, Amazon.co.uk works fine.
Plastichead.com - Plastichead is a bit hit and miss, it has a lot of more underground metal releases, but has some suprising ommisions
and for kvlt black metal Supernalmusic.com

They're all UK based.

I need help making a purchase!

I know that I'm buying these:

...And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead - Source Codes and Tags $8.95
At The Drive-In - Relationship Of Command $9.19
Cursive - The Ugly Organ $9.49
The Blood Brothers - Burn Piano Island, Burn $9.19

I'm thinking of buying the following:

Cursive - Happy Hollow $9.99
Rilo Kiley - More Adventurous $9.95
Rilo Kiley - Execution of All Things $8.99
Bear Vs. Shark - Right Now, You're In The Best Of Hands $8.95
The Appleseed Cast - Low Level Owl Volume One $11.85
The Appleseed Cast - Low Level Owl Volume Two $11.85
Two Gallants - What The Toll Tells $9.79
Deathspell Omega - Si Monumentum Requires, Circumspice $11.85
Joanna Newsom - The Milk-Eyed Mender $10.89 (Ys is on backorder :| )

I can only choose about two more because of the shipping and my limited amount of money.

I would order Joanna Newsom

I've just recently gotten into Daylight Dies. Great Melodic Death/Doom. So my question, what album should I get first No Reply or Dismantling Devotion?

No brainer - No Reply is definitely better. But Dismantling Devotion is also good.

@ Chuck Schuldiner: See Necuratul's recommendations; they were exactly what I was thinking (well not Heathen, as it doesn't fit your description. But it's worth getting nonetheless).

@ audiophileguy:
Destroyer 666 - Unchain the Wolves
God Macabre - The Winterlong
The Chasm - Conjuration of the Spectral Empire
Agalloch - Pale Folklore
Sodom - Persecution Mania
At the Gates / Grotesque - Gardens of Grief / In the Embrace of Evil
Sarcofago - INRI
Enslaved - Vikingligr Veldi
Aeternus - Beyond the Wandering Moon

Mk, here's one...

I'm looking for some Symphonic/Orchestral metal.

Kind of like Prodigies of the Great Apocalypse by Dimmu Borgir, to those of who (I'm guessing all of you) have heard it, can you tell me some similar bands?

Another example of what I'm looking for would be Orcus

Has anyone heard any of the following albums, and can provide me with some insight?:

Obscure Mind - Under Black Shadows
Open Grave - The Heavens Cry Black Tears
Army of in Between - Beautiful Darkness
Våld (Swe) - Våldshandlingar

Mk, here's one...

I'm looking for some Symphonic/Orchestral metal.

Kind of like Prodigies of the Great Apocalypse by Dimmu Borgir, to those of who (I'm guessing all of you) have heard it, can you tell me some similar bands?

Another example of what I'm looking for would be Orcus

You should check out Epica. Great music, better vocals. "Consign to Oblivion" is a good album, particularly the songs "Dance of Fate" and "Mother of Light".

recommend me 2nd wave norwegian black metal or bands that sound like the 2nd wave norwegian black metal bands (beyond the obvious) thx

Mort Divine, pick up the Milk-Eyed Mender, you won't regret it.

Yeah, I love the album but I think I'm going to get it at a later date along with Ys, since I just realized how fucking cheap they have dredg albums for, 7 dollars for Leitmotif? Hell yes, I'm getting CWA though, really cheap too.

Status
Not open for further replies.