RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love the use of sub-genres in metal, mainly because with the outrageous number of metal bands there are, it helps organize. Sure it will cause for stereotypes, but I never judge a band untill I actually listen to them.

offer a counter statement, then. justify a need for genres.

i think genres more often than anything else just lead to bands blatantly ripping off more talented artists in an attempt to sell records to a pre-determined audience.

Whether or not genres negatively affected music in various ways is not the issue because they exist already and have already influenced the way that music is categorized and played. The issue is whether or not they are at all useful, and I think that they are. Given that they HAVE influenced the way that music has developed it is of course abundantly obvious that categorizing bands that play a certain subgenre of Metal is a helpful way of finding music that you like.

my point is that genres are necessarily exclusionary, first and foremost, because most people's "taste" is a completely arbitrary thing based off of EXCLUSION. you don't actually like metal more than emo, you've just decided that you should like metal more than emo, or rather that you should hate emo.

if one, an average "one", says "i like teh grim blakk methul", then while listening to a band that claims to play "teh grim blakk methul" that individual will make a conscious effort to convince themselves that they are enjoying the music, because they have arbitrarily decided that they are a "grim blakk methul fan" and should enjoy that "kind" of music.

same goes for the opposite, i.e. if one has decided that they hate "emo", then they will make a conscious effort not to enjoy a band that claims to play "emo".

learning to separate what you actually enjoy from all of this bullshit categorizing is the first step towards artistic enlightenment.

my point is that genres are necessarily exclusionary, first and foremost, because most people's "taste" is a completely arbitrary thing based off of EXCLUSION. you don't actually like metal more than emo, you've just decided that you should like metal more than emo, or rather that you should hate emo.

if one, an average "one", says "i like teh grim blakk methul", then while listening to a band that claims to play "teh grim blakk methul" that individual will make a conscious effort to convince themselves that they are enjoying the music, because they have arbitrarily decided that they are a "grim blakk methul fan" and should enjoy that "kind" of music.

same goes for the opposite, i.e. if one has decided that they hate "emo", then they will make a conscious effort not to enjoy a band that claims to play "emo".

learning to separate what you actually enjoy from all of this bullshit categorizing is the first step towards artistic enlightenment.

First of all, you're painting a ridiculously black and white picture of the entire topic, and secondly, anyone with a sufficient mental capacity should be able to judge a piece of music on its own merits. Why would you even bother to care about people who can't do this? Are they really worth your time?

First of all, you're painting a ridiculously black and white picture of the entire topic

how so. i do not accept ad homs.

Why would you even bother to care about people who can't do this?

because, in my experience, this represents 99.999% of all human beings on this earth. i'm not talking specifically about you, miss center of the universe, but even you are affected with a bit of this quality.

what would be the point in my attempting to educate the educated?

1) If you're too stupid to realize the absurdity of half of the claims that you make in general and at least half of the claims in the quote that I posted, then I don't feel the need to address it. Do you honestly believe everything that you type?

2) What is this "center of the universe" bullshit? I think that tag would be more fitting for you.

Sometimes I avoid bands because their name and the way they dress. I'm not going to check out a band that has the word frog in it. I'm not going to check out a band that is wearing say shorts or something either.

you don't actually like metal more than emo, you've just decided that you should like metal more than emo, or rather that you should hate emo.

If you can't recognize this as blatant, retarded generalization, then I'll stick with ad hominem attacks, because it would be obvious at that point that no proper dialogue would be able to develop, so I might as well attack you and have some fun instead of getting frustrated arguing with a stubborn fuck like you.

Status
Not open for further replies.