RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Krigloch the Furry-ass said:
more dammit!
I can start giving you some that I haven't heard but I have heard good things about.

Absurd (Ger) - One I have heard, actually.
Temnozer
Aryan Terrorism
Nokturnal Mortum
Kataxu

Just go browse around MA.

V.V.V.V.V. said:
Don't agree with you here, I honestly found it pretty shit.

I was surprised at how much I liked it. I have never heard any of Ildjarn's stuff, and bought this one as an experiment or blind buy, if you must. The ambient sections add to the album, and the songs are quite interesting. The production isn't as bad as reviews would have one believe.

i dont see how so many people get so caught up with racism, but can overlook satanism, anti-christian ideals which bands so strongly support. what's the difference, other than perhaps being more offensive to christians and the like.

listen to drudkh (as mentioned earlier).

byrne said:
i dont see how so many people get so caught up with racism, but can overlook satanism, anti-christian ideals which bands so strongly support. what's the difference, other than perhaps being more offensive to christians and the like.

listen to drudkh (as mentioned earlier).

The answer mate, depressingly enough, is that racism isn't politically correct. I could declare myself a satanist at work, and be given space to worship and time off for religious days.

If I declared myself a racist, I'd be fired (and probably prosecuted).

I don't have a problem seperating music from message, but others clearly do. (In Britain some bands are illegal to distribute on race/hate grounds)

Ner, it's not about political correct-ness. It's about beliefs, about thinking one thing is wrong and the other is right, simple. Personally I think both racism and anti-christianity are irrational.

While we are at it can someone recommend me a few good starting points for thrash or speed metal, the less cheesy the vocals the better.

Carcassian said:
The answer mate, depressingly enough, is that racism isn't politically correct. I could declare myself a satanist at work, and be given space to worship and time off for religious days.

If I declared myself a racist, I'd be fired (and probably prosecuted).

I don't have a problem seperating music from message, but others clearly do. (In Britain some bands are illegal to distribute on race/hate grounds)
Those are new laws?
I believe they are about inciting religous hatred if that is the case surely an awful lot of metal bands could find themselves in trouble.

Shiny McShining Rodriguez said:
While we are at it can someone recommend me a few good starting points for thrash or speed metal, the less cheesy the vocals the better.

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=237985

If you don´t want to read through the aforementioned thread, here are a few recommendations:

Coroner - "Punishment For Decadence", "R.I.P.", "No More Color"
Voivod - "Killing Technology"
Mekong Delta - "Mekong Delta"
Testament - "The Legacy"
Znowhite - "Act Of God"
Détente - "Recognize No Authority"
Forbidden - "Forbidden Evil"
Death Angel - "The Ultra-Violence"
Flotsam & Jetsam - "No Place For Disgrace"
Anacrusis - "Suffering Hour"
Hexenhaus - "A Tribute To Insanity"

(Don´t know if all of them are good "starting points", especially since some of them are very difficult to find, but these are the ones that came immediately to my mind.)

np: Gåte - "Du som er ung (live)"

byrne said:

I can see your point, but I think it's because anti-christianity/anti-religion is the extreme minority and nothing can ever really come from it. It's usually the religious who opress those who are of different faith. No one would care if Jewish people made a record hating Nazis.

Racism on the other hand is very really and we have all seen the horrors of it. Also, I know Satan isn't real and is a fantasy. I also know that racism is all too real.

Carcassian said:
In Britain some bands are illegal to distribute on race/hate grounds
That's bullshit. As much as I may hate their message, I can't condone censorship based on that. If you don't like it, don't listen to it.

Burkhard said:
Don´t know if all of them are good "starting points", especially since some of them are very difficult to find, but these are the ones that came immediately to my mind.

Cheers for the suggestions and link, that should keep me busy. I have my ways of tracking down most music, so I should be right in that regard, and I'm not after anything easy-listening, I just meant to imply that I haven't listened to much thrash as yet.

To All The Doom Fans i recommend The Sword and OM.

OM's Variation on a Theme is akin to Sleep's work (Om and Sleep both share members). The album consists of three tracks each going well over 10 minutes with plenty of crushing riffs to keep you happy

The Sword, relatively new to the scene concentrate on norse themes and compact their doom assaults into between 3 and 5 minute forrays (on average) on their debut Age Of Winters. Well Written and played!

All right guys, I want to expand my taste in good metal. My favorite genres are Thrash, Power, and Death. Make a list of at least 5-10 bands of each genre that you think I should start listning to. The following are bands that I either like, or know about.

Thrash:
Old Metallica
Slayer
Megadeth
Overkill
Sepultura

Power:
Dragonforce
Iron Maiden
Judas Priest
Iced Earth

Death:
Death
Old In Flames
Obituary
Bolt Thrower

What other bands from those genres should I start listening too?

IWP said:
All right guys, I want to expand my taste in good metal. My favorite genres are Thrash, Power, and Death. Make a list of at least 5-10 bands of each genre that you think I should start listning to. The following are bands that I either like, or know about.

Thrash:
Old Metallica
Slayer
Megadeth
Overkill
Sepultura

Power:
Dragonforce
Iron Maiden
Judas Priest
Iced Earth

Death:
Death
Old In Flames
Obituary
Bolt Thrower

What other bands from those genres should I start listening too?

Thrash
Coroner
Messiah
Forbidden
Vio-Lence
Dark Angel
Laaz Rockit
Razor
Sadus
Destruction
Sodom
Kreator