rediscovering Orchid

T-Rat

Muse Of Fire
Mar 17, 2004
jewtown, ma
www.myspace.com
hiya
this is not at all earth-shattering, but i thought perhaps old and new Opethians might tend to get into certain albums over others...
so, i was listening to Orchid today in my travels after a few years of really ignoring it and was totally thrilled by it...
it's a great thing about Opeth and all their albums--i put one aside for a while and then it's like i'm hearing it all over again (recently did this with Morningrise and Still Life too...)
so, i guess you should all dust off whatever Opeth albums you have been ignoring and listen to them again...
and if you still haven't gotten ALL the albums, well, you know what to ask Santa (anagram of Satan!) for...
it's your holiday homework from prof. t-rat
:headbang:

Strangely enough i recently picked up Orchid again and started listening to it. The songwriting may be primitive in comparison to modern day Opeth, but christ the atmosphere just kicks Ghost Reveries and the likes 2 tha curb!

Opeth are the best band to leave for a while and then revisit as it only helps strengthen my fascination with them.

Orchid has actually always been my 3rd favorite Opeth album, close behind Morningrise and then Still Life. I listen to it so often that the songs get stuck in my head all day. Especially the part at 11:39 on the first track. It stays in my head and haunts me. I love it! Even though I rotate my opeth cd's constantly, Orchid is the one I seem to play most, even though the first Opeth album I got was Deliverance! Debuts do that.

Still Life is my least favorite Opeth album...I just can't seem to absorb it. :(
But anyway, I'm still stuck on Ghost Reveries...have been since August, heh.

sad poet...
you will one day put on still life and it will blow your mind...
that's what i think about these albums... some won't click for a while and then... watch out!!!
it's kind of a grand comparison, but it's a little like my shakespeare habit... some plays i never "got" and then suddenly i picked them up and was floored... and also, some that i love, i can go back to over and over and still be suprised by what i find there... (eg. can listen to MAYH over and over and still be finding something cool there...)