Relentless Reckless Forever (Out March 8th, 2011)

What is it that you don't like about the solo?

It just sounds all over the place to me. Reminds me too much of Lobodomy which I hate, some parts are good like the start and ending but the middle bit just doesn't sound right.

And regular posters will know I'm one of the biggest COB fans on here and Im doing my best to love every song, these are just first impressions but I still don't rate blooddrunk that highly...

I can't say that i have been the biggest fan of their recent music.
Blooddrunk had a couple songs i really liked but a lot of them just didn't cut it for me.
Was it Worth It is a good song melodically but it isn't very impressive at all.
Ugly just off a first impression was not very good at all. that song sounded all over the place and unpolished to me.
I will still buy the album and give it a fair chance but im pretty dissapointed right now.

And regular posters will know I'm one of the biggest COB fans on here and Im doing my best to love every song, these are just first impressions but I still don't rate blooddrunk that highly...

Impossible to love every song bro. Just not gonna happen.

I can name you a handful right now that I am not fond of and I have loved these guys to death since the first time I heard FtR. I can name you a handful of Rush songs I don't like. Or Darkthrone. Or dare I even say Devin Townsend who is my ultimate artist.

I can't say that i have been the biggest fan of their recent music.
Blooddrunk had a couple songs i really liked but a lot of them just didn't cut it for me.
Was it Worth It is a good song melodically but it isn't very impressive at all.
Ugly just off a first impression was not very good at all. that song sounded all over the place and unpolished to me.
I will still buy the album and give it a fair chance but im pretty dissapointed right now.

I can see how you would think this, at first listen it can be alot to take in. Try giving the track a few more listens, the structure will become very clear. It's probably because of the time signatures and the odd sounding verse. It's kinda technical, yes. It's definitely a bit more complex than the rest of their recent work though. :cool:

Yeah like I said with my first post here, the solo is sort of 'standard'. It seems to (over)use rock cliches a lot, and could be more metal and aggressive. I still think it's ok, though.

I like the intro but the 3/4 bit I need time for, aswell as the verse and solo. None of these songs have blown me away yet. :(

Same, but I still like them as 'tracks'. I'm hoping that the album has at least some 'compositions' that are epic. And hopefully with some epic solos, too. Matt Hyde says there's some epic solos but just gonna have to wait and see.

Same, but I still like them as 'tracks'. I'm hoping that the album has at least some 'compositions' that are epic. And hopefully with some epic solos, too. Matt Hyde says there's some epic solos but just gonna have to wait and see.

Yeah I think it could grow on me and be good to listen to and play, there are parts that remind me of FTR but others that are too similar to blooddrunk. I'm hoping for a good piece, Sinergy style or something but I doubt it...

Impossible to love every song bro. Just not gonna happen.

I can name you a handful right now that I am not fond of and I have loved these guys to death since the first time I heard FtR. I can name you a handful of Rush songs I don't like. Or Darkthrone. Or dare I even say Devin Townsend who is my ultimate artist.

Yeah thats true although up until aydy I've loved 98% of everything they've written but after that im struggling to sincerely enjoy the whole album which is a huge shame for me as there's not many bands I really enjoy as much ad bodom.

^ YouTube needs more guys playing the solo from Razorblade Salvation.

That being said, I love the catchiness of the solo in Ugly. It's not "epic", perhaps, but it's memorably, want-to-sing-along catchy, which can't be said for most solos on Blooddrunk.

Ugly is really good in my opinion - I love the intro riff. The vocals bother me when they first come in because they jar with the song a lot, but I quickly become acclimatized to them and even enjoy them throughout the rest of the song. Both solos were great, much better than anything off Blooddrunk and leagues ahead of "Was It Worth It?". Only riff that I really don't like is the one just after the intro (comes in at about 0:37).
It's not their best work but I think it's a solid track and it renews my hopes for Bodom.

No. :)

Best lead tone since TW. :kickass:

Indeed, and the playing and actual solo are pretty cool too imo.

It just sounds all over the place to me. Reminds me too much of Lobodomy which I hate, some parts are good like the start and ending but the middle bit just doesn't sound right.

Yep we know you ;) But I don't know, as well as I thought Joonas was going to love the keys, I figured all of us guitar players would be pretty happy with the solos.

It's nice to see the increase in the importance of keys, again. I do, however, dislike the keys' tone, especially for the solo - seems completely out of place. Although that may be the fault of the rip. The solo itself is good though.

Guitar solo is OK, but kind of meh by Bodom standards, way too simple and slow (though nowhere near as bad as WIWI solo).

It's nice to see the increase in the importance of keys, again. I do, however, dislike the keys' tone, especially for the solo - seems completely out of place. Although that may be the fault of the rip. The solo itself is good though.

Guitar solo is OK, but kind of meh by Bodom standards, way too simple and slow (though nowhere near as bad as WIWI solo).

I think they need to change the key tone on the solo. Both the guitar and keys solos sound really generic. This is the same key tone as on the Blooddrunk album. The atmosphere is nice but the solo is straight out of place. As far as the guitar goes... I don't know... It just sounds too generic. Typical "Hey Laiho, can you play some solo?" "sure *plays his typical Laiho solo*". I'd give the song 4/5.

Ugly is really good in my opinion - I love the intro riff. The vocals bother me when they first come in because they jar with the song a lot, but I quickly become acclimatized to them and even enjoy them throughout the rest of the song.

The first verse is a little jarring to the ears I agree but by the time the chorus comes around the first time I notice they are not nearly as bad.

The effects... sure, they are used a little too much. big deal. Listen to Blooddrunk and HCDR and you'll hear the effects being used here and there. Will it be some kind of mask to hide a possibly deteriorating voice in Alexi in the future? Who knows.

Listening to the song over and over again trying to like it more.
I like the melodies at certain points like the one that starts at 1:37. I guess it would be the chorus but i find this whole song just kind of slurrs together.
Its growing on me though

Listening to the song over and over again trying to like it more.
I like the melodies at certain points like the one that starts at 1:37. I guess it would be the chorus but i find this whole song just kind of slurrs together.
Its growing on me though

That is what they have been "good for" in the past is slurring the songs together so well that there was good flow. This also made it completely impossible to tell verse from chorus and I didn't even know the chorus for the title track HCDR and when I found out a number of years ago that it was their new "closer" doing gigs I had to go and actually force myself to listen to the chorus and see just what it was that made the chorus closer worthy.

AYDY was the most the album to have the most standout choruses in practically every song. Sure, FtR had Bodom After Midnight, Children of Decadence. HCDR had Needled 24/7. I won't mention the slow songs for obvious reasons. Blooddrunk I'll have to go through again and see just want is catchy and what isn't. I truly don't remember.

It is good to have Ugly a little harder to listen to (hell WIWI is the same too where the chorus is hard to distinguish). Puts a little more challenge into the music and without the catchy as hell chorus it gives listeners incentive to find other elements of the song that make them come back and listen over and over. If you have been following the album sticky you'll notice this is exactly what we have been doing. It would be so much easier to say, "dude the chorus is catchy as fuck. Great song. NEXT!" but it cannot be done and we have reason to discuss everything else our ears are offered.