Religion/Christianity.... you thoughts ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Opening the can of worms again, eh?
Listen I grew up Catholic, the whole nine yards...
I question a lot of things about my religion.
By no means do I think "it's the be all, end or the answer."
I don't understand why people do. It doesn't matter if they are Catholic or
Protestant, ect. Religion could be the root of all evil.
Look at the middle east they are killing each other over things
related to their beliefs... I don't understand it.
What happens when you die? You either get put underground or melted down...

Dude, if you have any doubt about religion, follow these 4 simple steps:

Step 1: Turn the volume to 11 and put on Slayer's 'God Hates us All'
Step 2: Drink 6 pack Natural Ice
Step 3: Smoke some tender nug
Step 4: Say "Praise the mighty name of Satan"

Try it, and you will know what im talking about.

:headbang:

I think it's funny how people quote passages from a book that's been translated countless times and had been written by numerous different hands as if it were undisputable fact.

Then, anything that goes wrong is the devil's fault... or it's God's will. They all seem so confused it's ludicrous to even care. The only thing we should be concerned about are our problems we have here and now (and the foreseeable future problems of course.) It pisses me off to hear someone ask for people to pray to God that the medicine administered to their dying grandfather work. Listen, the medicine will either work... or it won't. God doesn't decided whether or not it will work. If he did all medicine would ever do is ask God to come down and decide whether or not it will work everytime it's administered. Guess what, That's not how it works. We develop these compounds to work with the INVARIABLE laws of the universe to help us. It's predetermined whetehr or not that medicine will work. Why bother people with such a useless request as to pray for it? Why not ask them somethign real, like, to devote their lives or donations to finding a cure for things like their grandfather's sickness?

When these christians start making sense, maybe I'll even entertain the thought of worshipping anything.

Winner said:

I wouldn't suggest any of the above. Just respect people, don't harm anyone & just think for yourself...

Thraxz said:
I think it's funny how people quote passages from a book that's been translated countless times and had been written by numerous different hands as if it were undisputable fact.

Then, anything that goes wrong is the devil's fault... or it's God's will. They all seem so confused it's ludicrous to even care. The only thing we should be concerned about are our problems we have here and now (and the foreseeable future problems of course.) It pisses me off to hear someone ask for people to pray to God that the medicine administered to their dying grandfather work. Listen, the medicine will either work... or it won't. God doesn't decided whether or not it will work. If he did all medicine would ever do is ask God to come down and decide whether or not it will work everytime it's administered. Guess what, That's not how it works. We develop these compounds to work with the INVARIABLE laws of the universe to help us. It's predetermined whetehr or not that medicine will work. Why bother people with such a useless request as to pray for it? Why not ask them somethign real, like, to devote their lives or donations to finding a cure for things like their grandfather's sickness?

When these christians start making sense, maybe I'll even entertain the thought of worshipping anything.
i'd like to clarify this if i may.

the difference between this and what true christianity is:

1. everything is not the devil or God's fault. its ours, its our responsibility to own up to mistakes and correct them.
2. there's a difference between medicine working and a miracle. granted, medicine is a great and useful thing, but ask yourself what harm is done in praying for a miracle if it was your grandfather?
3. this could go on a huge debate all its own, but who do you think wrote those laws of the universe? or did they just pop out at random?
4. as for your last sentence, i believe its clearly been shown that many christians do devote their lives to helping people who have diseases and trying to find ways to cure them. many have lived in poverty and become afflicted themselves in their attempt to aid those people. if you want to hear more "sense" from a christian, check out the philosophy forum. i got a lot of skepticism and worse slung at myself and others, you can see what we had to say about it if you're interested.

this is in no way meant to be aggravating, if i offend, i am sorry. much respect to you all.

edit: i also totally agree with Ted on page1 100%.

When I was young my parents made me go to Jehova's whitness meetings.
I could never really understand the people their, those places give me a weird feeling.
and I never liked that feeling. They are all crazy bastards(exept my mom.) they are blinded by stupidity. If God came down and told me like the bible says " Be like me, fear me, worship me, I'd say "I can't and your dumb if you think I will."
Yeah yeah, I do know he is there, and I talk to him sometimes, and ask questions that get answered later, but I'm not stupid, I know right from wrong and if jerkin' off to a mag when my girls not around, you can stick a hot staple in my back and make me sleep on a bed of barb wire, I don't really care.
But I do and almost always respect him and anyone I cross that want's to preach to me, gets respect, I'll tell'em sorry I beleive but that's all I do.
I won't throw nickel at them and say "Git the hell off my lawn pirate!!!!"
-later,RJAIII-

Bryant said:
Not to try and do Hawk's job...

Bryant

I never disapprove when someone is offering to do my job :)

Seriously however, I think that the regulars here are eminently qualified to ask people on this forum to behave themselves.

carnut said:
sorry, can I use "FUCK" Hawk?

As long as you don't use it on me... :lol: :loco:

Well, whatever you do kid, just dont waste your life chasing after something that never existed.

Regardless of what people say, you dont have to fit a mold. Always keep an open mind and when you find something that just fits how you think and feel, follow it. There is no right or wrong way to go through life.

Good luck brother

Wyvern said:
I was raised in an organized monotheistic religion. Eleven years between school and highschool. Attending the cult "religiously" (my grades depend of it) every single praying day.

Today I came from the cementery to see my Dad's grave, 15 years had passed since my old man passed away and my faith in the monotheistic deity with him.

My view of life is that the human being needs to believe in something is part of the work of the mind. That something not necessarily has to be a superior being, I believe in fate/destiny. I believe that whatever it comes it was written from out first day. No praying, no sightseeing, no force can alter the path of things to come (call me a fatalist if you want).

Undoubtely I'm against ALL organized religions, I believe that religion as an organization has brought nothing but war, torture, famine, hatred and death to mankind. One god, many gods, no god is the same, they're all want to enforce their view upon their peers (call me a cynic if you want).

I hope not to offend anyone. I know for a fact that talking about religion, politics and football brings nothing but trouble on a forum.

My apologies to everyone.

Hawk please delete this message if I got over the line.

Exactly my same thoughts on religion.. it is nothing but the opiate of the masses.. humans need to believe in something so they invented such things... it is all about control and power over people... not different then politicians .. i'm born catholic (never a practicing one of course) but see the hyprocrisy of the church day in and day out since as long as i can remember... anyways it is nothing more then a fabrication to control people by the use of making them believe there is a Higher Being who made all this possible.. if God is the true and only God then why is there no records of him before 5,000 years ago? ... if Greek and Roman as well as other religions of ancient times were false religions where there is no gods of love, ocean and whatever else... what proof is there God really exists and don't say it's a matter of faith because the same can be said about the ancient religions.. all religions is a matter of faith but the bottom line is that doesnt make it real... all religions are cults to me.. just some are more extreme then others... and if i had to choose a religion and it's leader that i kind of respect it would be the Dalai Lama though im no buddhist i just see him as a Philosopher and such.. who truly preaches peace and love for everyone and not try to control people's lives by telling them what they can or can't do with their lives... :wave:

Winner said:

hahahaha, natty ice is the shit! :headbang:

but ive always thought it was the kind of cheap beer made specifically for broke highschool kids....like me! :lol:

oh well, i dont mind the taste, and it gets me drunk, so spread the joy! Rock on Winner :headbang:

Unfaithfully Metalhead said:
I must be tired or blind... but i don't see the post i typed in last nite... was it deleted? Hawk? ...

Not necessarily. I have posted a lot of times and got an error in the return losing the post in the process. I have learnt to copy into the clipboard after posting just in case it fails.

I think religion is great! :worship: Its the people that screw it up! :wave: \

I've been reading a book called "Ark of Millions of Years" http://www.arkofmillionsofyears.com/ I have been enjoying it immensly. If your interested in a perspective of combining science and religion you should check it out.

I think its important to educate yourself on all aspects and go with what feels right to you, and if it don't, keep looking: to quote MADCHEESE9377 "those places give me a weird feeling. and I never liked that feeling."

Being a Christian I see many who call themselves Christians who have a very skewed perspective on religion. I say live and let live!

I'd like to add, respectfully to ALL, just one more thought.

ALL of us.....HUMANS....are born with an inner sense of right and wrong. A conscience. No matter our faith or lack thereof, we still all have a sense of what is "bad". Even if you don't follow any religion or respect any certain faith, I am sure you would agree with me that you wouldn't walk into your favorite record store and STEAL a cd when the clerk turned his back. (If you would then you're a jagball) You would wait until he turned back around and pay for it, even if you knew you wouldn't get busted. Why? Cause it's the right thing to do. Know what else?

It's also proof that GOD lives inside of all of us.

Even you....

believe it or not.

Respects,
Ted

tedvanfrehley said:
I'd like to add, respectfully to ALL, just one more thought.

ALL of us.....HUMANS....are born with an inner sense of right and wrong. A conscience. No matter our faith or lack thereof, we still all have a sense of what is "bad". Even if you don't follow any religion or respect any certain faith, I am sure you would agree with me that you wouldn't walk into your favorite record store and STEAL a cd when the clerk turned his back. (If you would then you're a jagball) You would wait until he turned back around and pay for it, even if you knew you wouldn't get busted. Why? Cause it's the right thing to do. Know what else?

Even you....

believe it or not.

Respects,
Ted

No offense Ted.. but that is your belief in GOD which me and some of the others do not believe exists.. if you believe there is a GOD then more power to you but to say he lives in all of us when we are not believers is not right.. we could be buddhists, satanists, hindu etc... i myself like to believe there is a higher being whether good or bad but till i see any proof there is im neutral in any belief... if you believe God is in you and your loved ones then more power to you but please don't say he is in me because i do not share the same beliefs.. i can't speak for the others who may or may not agree with the same beliefs as me.. they will have to speak for themselves..

Trans-Siberian Outcast said:
Personally I'm not offended by Ted saying that GOD lives inside me even though I don't believe. It's his opinion that God does live within ALL men and I think it's just fine that he voices that. I'm just not buying what he's selling!

:D I'm with you!

tedvanfrehley said:

no no, proof that GOOD lives inside all of us, and that's some difference than a god !! But Ted, all respect to ya, if you believe it and are happy with it, why not, I won't look a bit different up to you if you do believe in a god !

rock on :headbang:

Here's what's funny....I wouldn't give a ten cent crap if anybody in here said that Christianity sucked...but people get their panties all wadded up if anybody dares to tell them their own opinion of God is and how we are all spiritual beings. It's just my take. You don't have to agree...but to be offended by it?

Maybe I just have a thicker skin than some? Or I get more fiber in my diet?

Status
Not open for further replies.