Religion..... more serious than before......

Bryant

Mr. Sleepy
Apr 14, 2002
Sweet home Alabama
Visit site
I actually listen to some Christian music (strange to most of you) though I am not Christian at all. A handful of the artists in that genre are so powerful and sincere it makes me enjoy their music whether I appreciate their message or not, but things are different now even for us metal-heads. I don't mean that in a "Christian" way, but in a "God" way.
I don't know if many of us here have realized it yet or not, but the human race has become "God." I have been seriously thinking about creating my own small army of Bryant followers to storm a bio-genetic lab and create an army of Bryants. I can be cloned right now if I had that power and that is something to think about. Of course, I am not serious about the army of Bryants, but that goes back to religion..... I don't care how much any of you hate organized religion, our race is getting to a point that if there is no respect to a higher power, I am afraid bad things are going to happen in this world.
I don't know if it was a "God" that created us, or some aliens from a dying planet or whatever, but I didn't come from a monkey. We are precious and I love human kind because we have a "soul." We are self aware and we choose our own life. "God" made us that way. and who cares or knows if that is God, Allah, Buddha or father of Jesus etc.
I don't worship a particular god, but I know oneis there, or at least some aliens. Monkeys don't fly or build airplanes nor do they drive cars. God bless metal-heads !!!

Bryant

hahahaha I dont "Hate" organised Religon it serves its purpose its just not for me and as for some Devine Being I cant Believe in that But I could entertain the Idea of us being Placed Here ... its Possible But it is also very Possible we evolved from Apes Why not hahaha and I also dont think we are the only creatures that are Self aware I personally think Whales are and Other Mamels too hahahaha I dont know But I figured I would Post to this :D Theres no way any of us will know till we are DEAD :loco:

This is my thing about religion: I am not religious. I find religion restricting, like trapping yourself in a box, and that just doesn't fit well with me at all. However, I DO believe in a higher devine power and an afterlife that ties in with my belief in the supernatural.
Even though I personally am not gonna join any religion anytime soon, if anyone I know is in a religion for all the right reasons(ie it motivates him/her to have a good life, gives him/her hope, truly believs in it's teachings, etc.) I have no problem with that whatsoever. If it works for you, that's great! Hell, I'll even make sure you continue your practicing of it and pull behind you. That is, as long as you don't force it down my throat and try to change me. If you try and do that, we're gonna have some problems. If it works for you, fine. It just doesn't work for me.

Everyone is entitled to believe whatever they want to. It only becomes a problem when people try to force others to adopt their beliefs.

I am an athiest. I do not believe there is a "higher power" or "god". I do believe that death of the body isn't the end though. The energy within us has to go somewhere. I also believe that people should not have to be scared into being good (be good or go to hell, etc...). They need to be taught values and morals from childhood by their parents, and to a much lesser extent society itself.

The golden rule, as cliche as it is really does apply: "treat others as you would have them treat you." If everyone subscribed to this, the world would be a peaceful place!

Cheers!
:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

I am also an atheist, just see "god" as a personification of "good". I can only see religions are hurting more people than trying to unite them for a good purpose. About all wars ever have and had a religious base. So I don't think there's a god, only some clouds of good and evil floating around, it's up to the people themselves to pick the right cloud. After dead ofcourse is a tricky question...I think dead is about the same as sleeping...but I'll let you all know for sure when I'm there. But before that I sure wanna spend some time on the oldschool forum !!! That good cloud definitly is hanging round here !!

I, too, am an atheist. Or, as i like to say, I am a "retired Christian". I've gone through many stages upon the road that's lead me to the logical conclusion of atheism, including universal deism (sort of the "grand cosmic deity" idea), as well as a dozen others.

In my view, I find the idea of a "soul" to be mankind's last grasp as satisfying his own immense ego. I simply no longer see any reason to believe that we are some grand, special 'creation' of an omni-everything immortal super-being (yet another manifestation of mankind's immense ego).
We are, however, 'special' in the sense that our brains have evolved/grown in size to the point where we have awareness of self (ie: sentience, 'consciousness'). And THAT is the defining character of humanity. And that it what many define as "soul". The soul is nothing more than our brains/personalities.

And, to correct the misinformed, we did not evolve from a "monkey". Humanity and the chimpanzee BOTH decended from a common ancestor - something of which we both share numerous DNA with, but are not a carbon-copy of. Humans & chimps share something like 99.6% of the same DNA/genetic make up. It's that .04% that makes the difference!
In fact, humans & chimps have more in common with eachother than mice and rats do!
Too bad the conservative media (here in the US) keeps the common-man misinformed & unaware of reality. Most children will never learn such in school. :(

Bryant said:
I am afraid bad things are going to happen in this world.

Did you forget war, rape, murder, famine, poverty, homlessness, child abuse, not to mention the abuse of the planet we all call home that we are destroying bit by bit every day? I think bad things are almost a wayof life for at least a bit of this world.

Bryant said:
but I didn't come from a monkey.
Speak for yourself :p , I'm proud of my ape cousins and sadden that we are the degenerates ones. Don't know if we were an involuted ape or God screwed up, but for sure that chimps, gorillas, orangutans and baboons are related to us (only their are better than us).

A hundred billion years ago we came out of the fire
hands and feet from grills and fins pulled us from the mire
generations come and go with each a subtle change
Time enough to watch the seasons turn from snow to rain

Sands are shifting the earth and the sea
Don't fear the spirit of change

Under the sky and the trees
Crawlign right out of thesea
The future is for you and me
Evolution - Lana Lane 'Evolution Revolution'

Wicked Child said:
That is, as long as you don't force it down my throat and try to change me.

That's exactly how I feel. Being from a VERY Catholic country like Mexico, I was baptised and did my first communion and all that. But after attending a Catholic school for 5 years, I said no thanks!! I believe in god, but in my own way. My mom is very religious, goes to church every sunday, knows the Bible very well and what not, but she respects the fact that I don't care for religion and never tries to lecture me or anything, so that's cool.

Wicked Child said:
If it works for you, that's great! Hell, I'll even make sure you continue your practicing of it and pull behind you. That is, as long as you don't force it down my throat and try to change me. If you try and do that, we're gonna have some problems. If it works for you, fine. It just doesn't work for me.

Eh ? Sorry, I don't prescribe to a particular religion. I am just "spiritual" and certain things to include music make me feel that way. The fact that I do believe in some sort of divinebeing makes me spiritual, but not "religious" by most people's standards. I do listen to some Christian music by only a few artists that really make me feel that "spirituality" and I am sure te right Pagan music etc. would do the same thing. The last thing I would try and do is "push" anything (except Tad Morose >:p~) on anyone. I am only curious to see how people can explain mankind's superior intellegence and our technological prowess and our "being." As I stated in the other post, our genetic makeup isn't far from the great apes, but they break sticks and sharpen them to dig around in anthills for food. Humans use cranes to build skyscrapers.

Bryant

Metal Dog said:
Bryant said:
I am afraid bad things are going to happen in this world.

Did you forget war, rape, murder, famine, poverty, homlessness, child abuse, not to mention the abuse of the planet we all call home that we are destroying bit by bit every day? I think bad things are almost a wayof life for at least a bit of this world.
No I didn't forget them, nor did I forget Ghandi, Mother Theresa, Paul Newman, etc. I am not naming religious people here as I don't think Newman is, but everytime you buy one of his salad dressings, all profits go to charity as his company is non-profit.
There is a balance of good and evil in this world and I don't see that ending anytime soon. Money and power can make people that way as well as other factors. I try to do my small part in making this a better world if only by treating others the same way I would like to be treated ala "the golden rule."

Bryant

I dont have a religion, but I do think there are creators of humans and nature.
I mean, think about it, we are designed with a mouth to eat, an ass to shit, eyes to see, complemetary genitals , air to breathe, not to mention complex feelings which are a huge design, so there must be a god, it cant just have emerged.

Right now I think there is no soul, feelings are very physical, spirit has to do with fluids in the brain, so there is just energy.

I think we will never know the meaning of life, when I see people die (acting of course, a representation) it just looks as if they just turn off, as if they go to sleep, and we can't grasp any info on the meaning if there is no conscience. So life would just be like, what was all that about?

What I do see is that life is a struggle and competition, if you are a smart species, you are physically weak, and vice versa, and the only purpose all species seems to be to survive to reproductive age and reproduce so, the only thing that comes to mind is gambling of the gods: see whose design makes it to the end

just my take on the matter at this time,open to change no doubt.

The saYer said:
I dont have a religion, but I do think there are creators of humans and nature.
I mean, think about it, we are designed with a mouth to eat, an ass to shit, eyes to see, complemetary genitals , air to breathe, not to mention complex feelings which are a huge design, so there must be a god, it cant just have emerged.

Right now I think there is no soul, feelings are very physical, spirit has to do with fluids in the brain, so there is just energy.

I think we will never know the meaning of life, when I see people die (acting of course, a representation) it just looks as if they just turn off, as if they go to sleep, and we can't grasp any info on the meaning if there is no conscience. So life would just be like, what was all that about?

What I do see is that life is a struggle and competition, if you are a smart species, you are physically weak, and vice versa, and the only purpose all species seems to be to survive to reproductive age and reproduce so, the only thing that comes to mind is gambling of the gods: see whose design makes it to the end

just my take on the matter at this time,open to change no doubt.
Damned !! Pretty cool reply there Sayer. I likie to see replies like that. It makes me think.

I don't necessarily agree with being smart equals weak though. Merlin Olsen was a professional football player and scholar.

I also have a hard time relating to pure chemistry (brain chemistry) being our only link to our emotions and innermost thoughts, but I certainly agree human physiology is 98% of it.

Bryant

Abryl said:
That's exactly how I feel. Being from a VERY Catholic country like Mexico, I was baptised and did my first communion and all that. But after attending a Catholic school for 5 years, I said no thanks!! I believe in god, but in my own way. My mom is very religious, goes to church every sunday, knows the Bible very well and what not, but she respects the fact that I don't care for religion and never tries to lecture me or anything, so that's cool.
I was baptized when I was 2, I went to sunday school from when i was about 3 or 4(i even went to a Christian school at the time, in addition) up til we(my mom and I) moved to california when i was 7. No reason why we stopped. We just...stopped. I was still into the Religion until I was...oh, let's say 16 years old, when one day, I decided to go to Church with a freind. And from then on, it all stopped making sense to me. I saw it in a new way. I felt claustaphobic with all these certain ways to live. I want to live the way Nick(that's me) wants to live. Not how some book or a guy in a pretty building tells me to. Also, some of the stories, while cool, sounded far fetched to me, and i think there's gotta be a more logical, scientific way of explaining things. That day that I decided to go to church changed my life, and the way I will always think about religion. Now before you all accuse me of thinking this to be a rebellious teenager at the time, no. This is honestly how I think, and I feel more comfortable than I ever have thinking this way. That's why i'm convinced that this is the actually, 100% pure NICK way of thinking. I'll always believe that there's an afterlife and possibly a higher being, but people can take their religion and keep it to themselves, thank you. And my mom respects my way of thinking. She's not the big Christian she once was, and is much more open minded now, but i was suprised when I sat her down and told her how I thought, and she respected it.

Bryant said:
Eh ? Sorry, I don't prescribe to a particular religion. I am just "spiritual" and certain things to include music make me feel that way. The fact that I do believe in some sort of divinebeing makes me spiritual, but not "religious" by most people's standards.

Bryant
My words weren't directed to you, I was saying them in general. I got what you said, i was merely expressing MY opinion on the subject. I am very much like you. I'm not religious, just spiritual.

Wicked Child said:
My words weren't directed to you, I was saying them in general. I got what you said, i was merely expressing MY opinion on the subject. I am very much like you. I'm not religious, just spiritual.

No problem my metal brother or "Son." I didn't take any offense. My reply was also generalized though I did reply to you. I am proud of the beliefs I have and I think despite the fact many here are athiest, the people here on this forum are divine. The respect they show to their fellow men shows that.
Had I made this same post on the gen mus forum, I would have been attacked from all angles. We all are disciples of the Oldschool Metal forum religion and our love and brotherhood is hard to touch by the best of those religious congregations.

Bryant

Although I do believe in some form of afterlife and possibly a higher being, I am in no way religious. Religion just doesn't appeal to me. I have no problem with people who want to be part of a religion, just don't try to force it upon me or act like you are superior to me. (Because that's when I start researching your religion and pointing out all it's faults to you, just to prove you aren't better than me. As I've done before.)

I know heaps of religious people and we get along fine because we accept each other's beliefs and can discuss them without arguing.

And while we're on the subject of religion, has anyone ever been labelled as a satanist for being a metalhead?

The saYer said:
But do you really see a 'design' in humanity? As I see it, we're simply organisms that have adapted to our environment. In fact, I think 'design' is really out-of-the-question.
The very existence of useless organs such as the apendix, for example, leads me to believe that we lack design, that we have evolved and are also in the current process of continuing to evolve.

With all due respect, I feel that humanity's ego is what creates such grand ideals as 'special creation'. We simply cant accept the facts that we're matter & that we'll one day cease to exist. So, to placate our minds/egos/emotions, we imagine ourselves to be "the children" of an immortal super-being, or 'presence', or 'life force' or whatever notion of divinity that floats your boat. And we imagine glorious heavans of eternal life we were all go and "never die". It's wishful thinking, really.