RELIGION DISCUSSION THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
In bold the most important part I believe as far as this thread is concerned.

I don't know about biblical scholar's using logic or intelligence, if that were presented to me I have to admit it'd be a new thing to me, but that shouldn't suggest I'm not open to the idea.

Since leandros cleared up that definition for me I think I'm pretty much sitting on the "Agnostic" side of the fence, don't believe I have yet had proved to me the credible existance of a creator, yet don't discount the possibility if someone does one day.

I think my last post wasn't clear...

I meant that an atheist can disregard gods and still change his mind if evidence comes up. It's just a pragmatic decision: 'Until there is some kind of concrete reason for me to believe in god, I won't'.

An agnostic thinks differently, although that term is a bit...controversial when it comes to its meaning. I like the original definition: an agnostic is someone who believes that whether god exists or not can never be proven.

So, it's got a bit of personal taste to it, really. To the eyes of some, I might as well be called an agnostic. According to my views, I'm an atheist. It all depends on where you draw the line between them :)

I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.

Anyway I contend that we are all atheists. I just believe in one less god than you religious poeple do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours

I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.

:lol: Wtf?

My extreme problem with religion is that we are living in the 21st century and relying on morals which were acceptable in the first century (obviously this figure is subject to change due to which religion we wish to discuss). The fact remains we are completely unable to challenge these morals and dogmatic practices because they were apparently convened to us via the almighty. This, in any rational persons mind, is completely unacceptable. Unacceptable on a scale which can't even be comprehended.

Another thing, which really REALLY pisses me off is the theist ability to subsequently shrug off possible proof of origin (mankind, universe etc) through scientific means because of the dogmatic scriptures answer to life.

May I point out a biblical verse from revelations:
For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book: And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and [from] the things which are written in this book

Lets come to a general understanding now, basically the bible is saying that you have to live biblical law to its fullest extent. I guarantee all of you theists on this board DO NOT. You know what this means? You're all going to hell, maybe not for your own actions, but for your actions to permit the constant "sinning" in your homeland to take place.

This also means that if you're a Christian you must believe that Earth is about 6000 years old, which has been proven wrong scientifically. Absolute proof has been made to nullify this ABSURD statement. There are actually more liberal Christians who accept Darwin's theory of evolution and the fact that the Earth is billions of years old. However according to the Bible, THEY ARE GOING TO HELL.

These extremely absurd, (to me completely fictitious) rules and regulations on what seems to be OBVIOUS mind control is simply why I can not, will not, am not and never will be a theist.

My extreme problem with religion is that we are living in the 21st century and relying on morals which were acceptable in the first century (obviously this figure is subject to change due to which religion we wish to discuss). The fact remains we are completely unable to challenge these morals and dogmatic practices because they were apparently convened to us via the almighty. This, in any rational persons mind, is completely unacceptable. Unacceptable on a scale which can't even be comprehended.

Another thing, which really REALLY pisses me off is the theist ability to subsequently shrug off possible proof of origin (mankind, universe etc) through scientific means because of the dogmatic scriptures answer to life.

For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book: And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and [from] the things which are written in this book

Lets come to a general understanding now, basically the bible is saying that you have to live biblical law to its fullest extent. I guarantee all of you theists on this board DO NOT. You know what this means? You're all going to hell, maybe not for your own actions, but for your actions to permit the constant "sinning" in your homeland to take place.

This also means that if you're a Christian you must believe that Earth is about 6000 years old, which has been proven wrong scientifically. Absolute proof has been made to nullify this ABSURD statement. There are actually more liberal Christians who accept Darwin's theory of evolution and the fact that the Earth is billions of years old. However according to the Bible, THEY ARE GOING TO HELL.

These extremely absurd, (to me completely fictitious) rules and regulations on what seems to be OBVIOUS mind control is simply why I can not, will not, am not and never will be a theist.

If ever there was a time to say "tl;dr" this is the fucking time :lol:

I think my last post wasn't clear...

I meant that an atheist can disregard gods and still change his mind if evidence comes up. It's just a pragmatic decision: 'Until there is some kind of concrete reason for me to believe in god, I won't'.

An agnostic thinks differently, although that term is a bit...controversial when it comes to its meaning. I like the original definition: an agnostic is someone who believes that whether god exists or not can never be proven.

So, it's got a bit of personal taste to it, really. To the eyes of some, I might as well be called an agnostic. According to my views, I'm an atheist. It all depends on where you draw the line between them :)

In that case I'm a bit of both, and will probably just shrug and say I don't know if anyone ask's me my stance in the future since the label's just seem to confuse anything. Cheers for clearing stuff up for me, though.

its a stephen roberts quote.

Mine is word for word, Swabs' is a futile attempt at putting it in his own words.

I read the quote somewhere different to you then :lol: I read it in newspaper a fuck off long time ago, it's not as if im gonna remember every word.

Exactly what i was thinking :lol: It's even better than my Chocolate thread :(

Chocolate>>>> everything else.

Doesnt win p0rnz

--->
Well, I belong to a protestantic church of christianity. The Bible was written by the people in that days world by that time, not today. Which means we have to adapt it to the todays world. And still, the Bible doesn't say anything about the evolution.

Also, the way how they teach the religion on the USA to their kids is really sad. That's propably the place where you got your beliefs/thoughts about christianity from. The fundamentalitychristians(???) of USA, are really a shame to all of the christian people in todays modernizing(??) world. They tend to deny everything about science and praise the faultlessity of the Bible. The Bible is it's own times book and was written from what people knew by that time. And the ignorance of those ppl is the reason why theres those mistakes which you might notice. But the word which there is, is faultless and will last forever.

btw God is never fair
He told Moses to kill all the Non-believers and so he did
and he also gave the judges the power to kill millions of people

Yep, that was in the time of Moses, when the old testament was written. During that time also was this big flood where Noah and his family + those animals got saved. Rainbow was the sign of the new alliance between people and God and he promised that he'll never do such a thing again.

this thread is amazing

its already fucken 12 pages long
Tr00. I think pretty much the same..

Status
Not open for further replies.