Resurrected Power Metal Thread

Pathfinder has some cool shit, the singer is unreal! But I get tired of the overdone keyboard stuff.
It's like the newschool overproduced death metal scene. dudes, tone it down!
I hear Pathfinder compared to my favorite Heavenly albums and you can tell the difference. Too many keyboard tracks, I want to hear the guitars!.

I love lots of keyboards in my Power Metal, it gives the music an ethereal atmosphere that seems to transcend both normality and reality. It's a large part of the reason that the first Fairyland album ("Of Wars in Osyrrhia") is one of the best I've ever heard: the drums were were very low-key and under-emphasised which meants that the keyboards played a much more prominent role in the music, and gave it this incredible beautiful-in-a-surreal-way atmosphere. On their second album they recorded the drums in a more prominent role and the album was largely a clattering mess due to over-pronounced drumming. Keyboards FTWWWWW :headbang:

I listened to about 1 minute of one of those Pathfinder tracks you posted and I already know I'm going to buy that album. Sounds sweet as hell.

I've never heard Fairyland. What albums would you recommend? I see you mentioned the first one already.

I listened to about 1 minute of one of those Pathfinder tracks you posted and I already know I'm going to buy that album. Sounds sweet as hell.

I've never heard Fairyland. What albums would you recommend? I see you mentioned the first one already.

I'd rate the 3 Fairyland albums as follows:

1) First album Of Wars in Osyrhia: One of the best Power Metal albums ever. Everything from choirs, orchestra, and keyboards to guitars and delicately-understated drumming is top-notch. There basically isn't a single bad song on this entire album, but I'll link some of my favorites here:

Two great slow songs:

2) Third album Score to a New Beginning Not as well composed and orchestrated as their first album, but still had some good songs that were nearly of the same quality. Here's my favorite:

3) Second album Fall Of An Empire Not exactly a bad album, but I found myself frequently distracted by the annoying clattering of the drumming. Here's my favorite song off that album:

Last edited by a moderator:
You spoke quite a lot about about this attitude in your last post without actually mentioning what it actually IS. I'm curious to know more about the exact nature of it.

It isn't anything. It's not anything substantive, anyway. It's just the vibe the tunes give off. I don't consider listening to metal much of a science. For me, a lot of it has to do with vocal power. That's why I like Orden Ogan, Kiuas, Fairyland, Pyramaze, Powerwolf, etc. I don't enjoy the vocals of Pathfinder or Sonata Arctica as much as these other bands; they're extravagant but not voluptuous, for lack of a better word.

It isn't anything. It's not anything substantive, anyway. It's just the vibe the tunes give off. I don't consider listening to metal much of a science. For me, a lot of it has to do with vocal power. That's why I like Orden Ogan, Kiuas, Fairyland, Pyramaze, Powerwolf, etc. I don't enjoy the vocals of Pathfinder or Sonata Arctica as much as these other bands; they're extravagant but not voluptuous, for lack of a better word.

Fairyland switched vocalists three times in 3 albums, so I'd be curious to see how you rate their three albums as I did above.

And since we've been talking about Sonata Arctica, here are some of my favorite songs by them:

Orden Ogan wasn't bad, nice!

you guys need to check out Thaurorod. The old demos are with a baritonic(?) singer and are both unique and epic. After Lumi left they've had some trouble keeping a singer apparently.. so the 2010 album is fine, but could be better. They even had Luppi perform the vocals for a while at some point.

Here's some of the old material:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYksSv82WAo

This song is actually really good :headbang: Does anyone know where I can find the full album? Couldn't seem to find a working copy on Bittorent...

That album is full-of top-class songs - the newest Elvenking is stuff isn't even listening to.
My favorite songs on that album include:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnACQTdZgpQ&list=PL939CB4301746455E[/ame]
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vT6Vd9gB2fg&list=PL939CB4301746455E[/ame]

Some killer mindblowing songs off their later albums:

I used to like the song Penny Dreadful because of it's anti-commercial message, but since they sold out it's basically irrelevant.

Would you guys go see Dark Moor live? They're coming to my city this weekend and although I like some of their songs (the one I posted near the top of this page is an example), some of the others on the setlist are... quite dull. What would you do?

Nice Elvenking videos, UltimateApathy. My favorite song by them is definitely "The Regality Dance".

Anyways, does anyone here know Keldian? Norweigan power metal band. Their 2008 album Journey of Souls is one of my favorites in the genre. Their new album "Outbound" is quite good as well, I was pleased by it.

From Journey of Souls

From the new album

I used to like the song Penny Dreadful because of it's anti-commercial message, but since they sold out it's basically irrelevant.

That's a Skyclad-cover anyway. And selling out is probably the one thing Walkyier can't be blamed of.

TWW remains my favourite Elvenking-albums. Oh, this brings back memories, they were one of the first Metal-bands I discovered via last.fm back in the days when I started listening to Metal. Still got a self-embroidered Elvenking-Patch on my vest which I made in thsoe days. Even though the discussion's a couple of days old, I have to add this one:

Anyways, does anyone here know Keldian? Norweigan power metal band. Their 2008 album Journey of Souls is one of my favorites in the genre. Their new album "Outbound" is quite good as well, I was pleased by it.

From Journey of Souls
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-0jEdVgdC0

From the new album
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyJf4K23UxA

Oh yeah that "Journey Of Souls" album by Keldian is mind-blowingly beautiful and pretty unique, I remember listening to that on repeat for a couple of weeks or so, best song for me is definitely:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpDe5oop5ho&list=PL80AEFDB1A3162D9A[/ame]

Wow, that new Keldian song sounds amazingly shitty, what a disappointment. They lost that spacy, ethereal, other-worldly feel that made "Journey of Souls" so great and gained really annoying and crappy drums, vocals and even a goddamned acoustic guitar :(

And selling out is probably the one thing Walkyier can't be blamed of.

Oh? And then what would you could a totally crappy pop-rock-like song like "the Cabal"? Hell, it seems like they're trying to do their best to avoid everything that made their earlier work so great, just compare a pile of commercial shit like this to a song like "Seasonspeech" and then try to tell me that they haven't sold out:

The Way They Used To Be Before They Sold Out: